VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi
    i need a tool or prog to hardcode subtitle without do anything to the video resolution or encode or anything .. just hardcode the subtitle
    i tried mkvtoolnix but it does not work correctly
    -regars
    Quote Quote  
  2. "Hardcoding" means video re-encoding.

It is difficult to give you a different recommendation than mkvtoolnix if you don't tell us:
    1.) how/why it "does not work correctly"
    2.) what your source video file format (container, codecs) is
    3.) what your subtitle file format is
    4.) what your target container is

Generally, other choices are ffmpeg, mp4box, Avi Mux GUI ...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    "Hardcoding" means video re-encoding.

It is difficult to give you a different recommendation than mkvtoolnix if you don't tell us:
    1.) how/why it "does not work correctly"
    2.) what your source video file format (container, codecs) is
    3.) what your subtitle file format is
    4.) what your target container is

Generally, other choices are ffmpeg, mp4box, Avi Mux GUI ...
    1.) the subtitle appears only when i play the video on the computer but when i upload it on internet it does not appear
    2.)mkv H264
    3.) ass and srt
    4.) do not understand
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1.) Upload it where? Youtube? Subtitle support depends on the video service you use. You have to be more specific.
    If the service you are using does not support soft subtitles you have to hardcode (i.e. re-encode to burn-in the subtitles). HandBrake can burn-in ASS and SRT subtitles that are embed in mkv.
    4.) MKV, MP4, AVI ...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    1.) Upload it where? Youtube? Subtitle support depends on the video service you use. You have to be more specific.
    If the service you are using does not support soft subtitles you have to hardcode (i.e. re-encode to burn-in the subtitles). HandBrake can burn-in ASS and SRT subtitles that are embed in mkv.
    4.) MKV, MP4, AVI ...
    openload ok.ru .. etc
    can you tell me please how to burn-in 2 subtitle files ass and srt ? with handbrake or any faster software
    Quote Quote  
  6. Open the file in HandBrake, go to the subtitle tab, select the ASS/SRT track and tick "Burn In". (In the audio tab you usually want "Auto Passthru") Then "Start Encode".

(I don't know about the services you mentioned.)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Open the file in HandBrake, go to the subtitle tab, select the ASS/SRT track and tick "Burn In". (In the audio tab you usually want "Auto Passthru") Then "Start Encode".

(I don't know about the services you mentioned.)
    handbrake does not support ass track and can select 1 subtitle only to burn-in
    Quote Quote  
  8. HandBrake does support burning in ASS if the subtitles are embed in an mkv file. But it can indeed only burn 1 subtitle track (at least the GUI). You could merge your 2 (or more) subtitle files using Subtitle Edit or Aegisub first, then add the merged subtitle to the mkv using mkvtoolnix. But it depends on how exactly they (should) look like (one top one bottom, both overlaying, ...).

Alternatively you can burn in multiple external subtitles files using ffmpeg:
    ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -vf "ass=subtitle_file1.ass, ass=subtitle_file2.ass" -c:v libx264 -crf 18 -preset medium -c:a copy -sn "output.mkv"
    But read this beforehand, esp. the part about the ffmpeg font config.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can not see an option to upload ass/srt files in Handbrake, only the srt files - could you explain how to do this? I downloaded mkvtoolnix and created a mkv file, but Handbrake isn't letting me open it.

I don't want to lose the formatting that I included in the ass file when hardcoding onto my MP4 file, what is the best way to do this?
    Quote Quote  
  10. You need to merge the video file with the ass subtitle in mkvmerge.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, sneaker.

I merged the two files but end up with a mkv file that I don't know how to open in Handbrake so that I can have an MP4 file with hardcoded subtitles without funny symbols instead of apostrophes and has subtitles that are formatted the way I formatted them in Aegisub.

How do I open the mkv file in Handbrake?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Open the mkv file in HandBrake (choose in file source selector or just drag&drop from explorer to HandBrake window), go subtitles tab, select the ASS ("SSA") track and tick "burn in". Then encode. Does this not work for you? If you have funny symbols either mkvmerge did not see the correct character encoding, HandBrake cannot access the needed font (you can add fonts to the mkv as "attachments" or install in system) or some bug in HandBrake/libass. If in doubt upload the ASS file and font here so we can take a look at it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I get an error message when I try to upload my .ass file - No Valid Source Found. When I try to upload the file here, I get another error message - Invalid File.

I just opened the file in Aegisub and everything looks great. Re-saved it as .ass but it isn't being recognized by the forum or by Handbrake, but I had no problem opening it in mkvtoolnik.

I had funny characters this morning when I used HandBrake to Hard Code the subtitles using the .srt file I saved from Aegisub, plus the first line of the subtitles is being skipped by the video. The font was just Arial, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Anyway, that's why I'd like to use the .ass file if possible, just can't figure out how to do it.

I'm a little bit frustrated today Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Lisa V; 24th Mar 2017 at 20:41.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I attached .png files of what the MP4 looks like after hardcoding using the .srt file - you can see the funny font and also the first line of the sub titles that doesn't show up. the font is also twice as big as I what I had set it at.

Any suggestions?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 7.44.10 PM.png
Views:	514
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	41040  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 7.44.29 PM.png
Views:	342
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	41041  

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 7.45.13 PM.png
Views:	274
Size:	856.1 KB
ID:	41042  

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 7.45.33 PM.png
Views:	339
Size:	876.9 KB
ID:	41043  

Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Lisa V View Post
    When I try to upload the file here, I get another error message - Invalid File.
    You can only upload certain file types. Put the ASS file in a .zip file and try again.

What versions of Windows and HandBrake are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake is version 1.0.3 and I'm on a MAC with OS X El Capitan running
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  17. I don't have the problem with the apostroph here on Windows 7 + HandBrake 1.0.3. Can you try to do it again with the file I attached? Otherwise try a different font or try replacing ’ by '. I don't know if it's a problem with apple or with HandBrake.

Alternative would be to try a different software like ffmpeg but usage is more complicated than HandBrake.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, I'll try that.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After converting your mkv file in Handbrake I don't see any subtitles at all. The video plays with the audio, but no subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I don't know, then. Try HandBrake nightly and if it has the problem as well report to HandBrake developers, either through github or their forum.

https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues
    https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewforum.php?f=12
    Quote Quote