VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am wondering for my model of VCR (JVC SVHS HR-S2913U) whether video calibration should be turned on or off?

My pipeline is JVC SVHS HR-S2913U > DMR-ES15 > Pinnacle 710 USB > Windows 10 > Virtual Dub 1.9.11 .

Originally I was doing my captures with it on after reading this article. "Video calibration. This is similar to tracking, but so much more. It more precisely control the playback quality of your tape, maintaining both tracking and signal quality."

But then I came across this:
    "CALIBRATION is almost always bad, causing image instability rather than fixing -- which is directly the opposite of what the feature claims to do." from this post.
    And
    "Nobody ever disagrees on these other settings. calibration = OFF (usually). However, for a few models like JVC SR-VS30, it should be ON." from this post.

Since my VCR is not a professional one, I figured I should experiment. During my first capture with calibration turned off, the audio would slow down and speed up. I'm not sure why? Windows 10? Because calibration was turned off? The 2nd capture (of the same tape) with Calibration OFF, had no issues with the audio.

Here are some captures and I was hoping for some feedback with more trained eyes.

I captured them by stopping on the frame in VirtualDub 1.9.11 and doing Video > "Copy source frame to clipboard". Then pasted into MS paint and saved as a jpg.

Snapshots show first with video calibration ON and then 2nd is with calibration OFF (as per filename). I've also attached them as a zip file.

Snapshot 1:
    [Attachment 61676 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 61677 - Click to enlarge]

Snapshot 2:
    [Attachment 61678 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 61679 - Click to enlarge]

Snapshot 3:
    [Attachment 61680 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 61681 - Click to enlarge]

Snapshot 4:
    [Attachment 61682 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 61683 - Click to enlarge]

Snapshot 5:
    [Attachment 61684 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 61685 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    So, I didn't notice much of a difference with the images.

However, with video calibration set to "ON", there were sync issues, with error ranging up to 300 ms, but often more in the 100 ms in range. For a 20 minute tape there would be 4-5 times it would happen.

With video calibration set to "OFF", there are appear to be no Sync issues.

Just thought I'd share my findings in case someone else has this question in the future.

I have Virtual Dub "Timing" settings set as recommended by sanlyn here. (drop frames = no / insert null frames = no).

[Attachment 62425 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sanlyn made a mistake in his settings.
    For example, by disabling the very top two options, you're essentially turning off the drop reporting. That doesn't prevent drop/insert frames, nor accurately capture.
    Read my other posts in that thread.
    VirtualDub's defaults are generally correct for most cards.

Turn off JVC calibration. That doesn't do what you think it does. (Nor is the manual accurate.)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    sanlyn made a mistake in his settings.
    For example, by disabling the very top two options, you're essentially turning off the drop reporting. That doesn't prevent drop/insert frames, nor accurately capture.
    Read my other posts in that thread.
    VirtualDub's defaults are generally correct for most cards.
    Oh wow. Thank you for pointing that out. I'm sure I read it at one point, but completely forgot. Very much appreciate it!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by brockway View Post
    So, I didn't notice much of a difference with the images.

However, with video calibration set to "ON", there were sync issues, with error ranging up to 300 ms, but often more in the 100 ms in range. For a 20 minute tape there would be 4-5 times it would happen.

With video calibration set to "OFF", there are appear to be no Sync issues.

Just thought I'd share my findings in case someone else has this question in the future.

I have Virtual Dub "Timing" settings set as recommended by sanlyn here. (drop frames = no / insert null frames = no).
    As it turns out, the sync / timing issues were not related to video calibration being on or off.

It had to do with the Windows 10 device (laptop) I was using to do capturing. Despite disabling almost everything, I would get sync issues after approximately 10-15 minutes of capture time.

I ended up using a desktop computer with Windows 10 to capture. And there were no sync issues. I didn't even need to disable any background processes.
    Quote Quote