VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Im working with some videos which are xvid (avi) and mp4 - and i need to be able to split them in the middle, i.e if it 30 mins long, from 15m-20m - so i was wondering which was the best and most efficient tool to accomplish this, keeping in mind that the extracted part must NOT be re-encoded.

In doing some research myself, i think mencoder is the best for xvid(avi) splitting - however im yet to be able to find an example on how to cut an avi file in the middle, all ive been able to find is splitting a file in 2, and whilst its possible to accomplish i want via a 2 step process (cut the original file in two, then cut one of the halves at the beginning/end for the part i want) - i feel this will take a bit of effort.

If anyone is able to assist and recommend something to me, itd be greatly appreciated as i feel that im stuck.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do this kind of thing all the time with avidemux. When you open the video, just keep the video and audio codec settings set to "copy" and it won't re encode when you save your changes. To cut the video into two pieces, you will need to open and edit the main file twice. The first time to cut out one half & save the other, and then the other way around. Video files need to start on a keyframe so use the keyframe navigation buttons (<< and >>) to go to the nearest keyframe when selecting your midpoint cut, since this will be where you want the second half of the video to start. Set the "A" and "B" (beginning and end) markers for your cut, and select Edit/Delete. Then save the remaining video as a new file (File/Save/Save Video). Then do the same process for the other half (write down which frame you cut at the first time). Because it won't re encode the audio and video, it won't take any time at all to do this. I hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mountain Man
    Thank you very much for this suggestion. I was trying to split a mp4 video in two to get under youtube's 10 minute limit and this worked perfectly. I tried with Nero 8 1st and I split it OK but it was converted to an avi format and was about 8 times larger than the mp4 file. This made it 8 times longer to upload to youtube. I had used google to search the web and your suggestion was the only one that came up that was free and easy.
    Dave
    PS: I run WinXP, not Linux, so I used Windows avidemux.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Bogle, Bogle, Bogle zarathustra2k1's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    TYVM, Mountain Man. Exceptionally good advice - worked a treat!
    Quote Quote