VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need to do some "professional" video (singer/piano) and need to use two mikes to get correct balance. The optional DM100 won't do the trick. Does anybody know of an adapter that will actually allow me to input two separate mikes?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    use a separate recorder. HDV audio is compressed mp2 and you probably want to capture as lpcm for better audio.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Per your suggestion I could use a separate recorder then sync the audio with the video in the computer but that seems a lot of work although I guess I'd have much more control over balance and level.
    I'm thinking that it might be easier if I try a couple of options. First - the shoe mounted stereo mike. Doing some digging I found that the Aux Mic input on the side of the camera is a 3.5mm stereo input for a condenser mike. There are several mikes available from the Canon DM-100 to an Audio-Technica. I might be able to control R/L balance by "masking" one side of the mike and mike level can be controlled by a camera function (although not really easy or intuitive).
    The other possibility is to try something like one of the simple multi-microphone mixers by Berringer - about $30-$40 - but I'm not sure if the output is compatible with the condenser mike input. Since I haven't done anything like this before I'm still looking for some guidance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    audio syncing is easy. use a clapboard or just get in front of the camera and clap your hands with video and audio recording. you'll need good mics on booms near the piano and near the singer. you'll need balanced mics with phantom power to use long cords. get a zoom h5 if you can they offer great recording quality and all the features you'll ever need for capturing excellent audio.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Be wary of anybody who claims something is "easy".
    I'm considering two approaches. First of all, I have two Shure SM58 mics, a TCElectronic Impact Twin mixer, a Canon HG20 video camera which records in AVCHD, and Audacity software which I've never used. I've converted several AVCHD files to mpeg files in the past with good results but none of the software I have does complete editing so I'd have to find something more sophisticated if I go that route.
    The first approach will be to control balance and level using the Impact Twin and feed the 2-channel output of the mixer directly into the Aux Mic input of the camera. The thinking is that if I can effectively control the level then I don't have to worry about sync - or special audio mixing. All that is left is to convert to an mpeg format for DVD's.
    The second approach, if the first doesn't work, would be much more complex. I would record an audio file on the computer, maybe adjust it using Audacity, convert the video file to MP4, using another software strip the MP3 audio and then add the new audio file to the video. What I'm not sure of is how to accurately sync the new audio track to the video track except trial and error, or is there something I'm missing?
    It'll be a couple of weeks before I can work on this so if anybody has any input I'm all ears.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry i mis-read the post. i was thinking it was an HDV cam - hv20 which has no mic input port. but audio syncing isn't hard if you have video editing software like vegas.
    --
    Quote Quote