VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So we use the autodesk product Wiretap Central to do encodings from out flame suites. It's essentially just a front end for FFMPEG and allows you to create custom profiles via editing an XML file and sending through your own syntax.

I'm having an issue creating an NTSC mpeg2. I see there have been a few discussions about 3:2 pulldown and ffmpeg not supporting it (yet) but they are all pretty old posts. Does anyone know if it supports it now? I couldn't find anything in their documentation about it.

Basically, the source material is 23.98 and I'm using the "dvd-ntsc" output for ffmpeg which seems to give me a 29.976 clip but it's not adding correct 2:3. The cadence is 4:1 which means it's very, very stuttery.

I've tried straight burning a 23.98 file and letting the DVD player add the pulldown but it seems I end up with the same problem. From my understanding you can add a 'soft' 2:3 switch in 3rd party applications which then tells the decoder to add the 2:3.

Ideally, I'd like to get this done in ffmpeg though as it saves re-transcoding the files. (Wiretap Central is the only way you can talk to the flames StoneFS filesystem)

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Encode to 23.967 fps with ffmpeg, then use DGPulldown to add the correct pulldown flags to the video stream prior to authoring.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perfect, that looks like it just adds the flags and doesn't bother with a re-encode.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote