VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there anyway to play Blu-Ray films through software like we use VLC for dvds?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As long as ou have a hardware Blu-ray player (drive). You cannot magically make a DVD drive play blu-ray, any more than you can make a cd drive play a dvd through software.

If you have a blu-ray drive, most of the popular players will play them (VLC, MPC, etc.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    VLC has experimental support for playing BluRay right now. You should not expect it to work as well as commercial solutions (and even those have their own set of problems) but it is free.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    As long as ou have a hardware Blu-ray player (drive). You cannot magically make a DVD drive play blu-ray, any more than you can make a cd drive play a dvd through software.
    If I have Blu-ray files, not the disk, it should be playable with software. I'll see what VLC does for it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Therefore you are looking for the ability to play blu-ray files from the hard disk rather than from the Blu Ray Disc.

I know an earlier version of PowerDVD used to do this but they removed that support a while back. You could do a quick google search.

Alternatively you could try to create an image of the files and then mount it as a virtual drive and then try to play the blu-ray. I remember someone of this forum claiming BluRayBerry does a good job for mounting blu ray images to be playable.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I would like to see what Blu-Ray looks like before investing in it & I think a few others would too. I'll try your suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can play some types of decrypted individual .m2ts streams within a Blu-ray file with MPC-HC or VLC. But I haven't got either to play a actual disc, with the menus, etc., even when it's decrypted. So far the only players that seem to be able to do that are payware players like PowerDVD Blu-ray and WinDV Blu-ray players.
    Quote Quote