VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone give me some help on the best way to convert videos to play on my old Nokia N800, which I have just resurrected.

I'm a novice ffmpeg user on Linux, and I'm slowly going mad trying to find the correct options.

The video formats it supports include these:

,avi, MPEG4 (SP L2), MP3 audio, 640x480
    .avi, H.263 (Profile 0, Level 10), MP3 audio, 640x480
    Quote Quote  
  2. Does ffmpeg even have a MPEG-4 Simple Profile Level 2 encoder?
    As a side note: Why not convert to something better? The N800 should be able to playback H.264 and MPEG-4 ASP both with aac audio,...
    Attached a file that uses MPEG-4 AVC Base Profile and LC AAC audio,..
    Image Attached Files
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. ffmpeg has an MPEG 4 part 2 encoder capable of simple@l2. Try something like:

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i input.mp4 -vf scale=640:-4 -c:a mp3 -b:a 128k -c:v mpeg4 -profile:v 0 -level:v 2 output.avi
    Profile 0 is simple for this encoder. You can probably use the xvid encoder too "-c:v libxvid".
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Aug 2022 at 18:58.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You are right, totally forgot that the MPEG-4 ASP encoder also supported normal Simple Profile (level 0-3), still using H.264 seems like a better choice.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, h.264 should give better quality and/or smaller files. But the device may have more limitations for h.264. GOP size, b-frames, bitrate, frame size, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    ffmpeg has an MPEG 4 part 2 encoder capable of simple@l2. Try something like:

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i input.mp4 -vf scale=640:-4 -c:a mp3 -b:a 128k -c:v mpeg4 -profile:v 0 -level:v 2 output.avi
    Profile 0 is simple for this encoder. You can probably use the xvid encoder too "-c:v libxvid".
    Many, many thanks for this - the resulting video plays perfectly on the N800.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You may want to specify a video bitrate to get better quality. I'm not sure what the device supports but try something like "-b:v 384".
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to be a pain, but any idea why this bash alias doesn't work?
    Code:
    alias avi2n800='for i in *.avi; do ffmpeg -y -i "$1" -vf scale=640:-4 -c:a mp3 -b:a 128k -c:v mpeg4 -profile:v 0 -level:v 2 "${i%.*}--n800.avi"; done'
    I get "No such file or directory". There are definitely avi files in the working directory.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sorry, it's be 30 years since I've worked with *nix based operating systems. I don't remember such details. Try echoing the command line and looking for the error.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote