VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was at Target and saw a DVD player for $79... it was made by Orateck (I think that's the name of the company). Anyways, it says it can play DVD, VCD, CDR, CDRW, MP3, everything. Does anyone have any other information on this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Here's the link for the DVD player... it doesn't say anything about the VCDs and all there, but it's on the box.

http://www.target.com/common/catalog/product.jhtml?prodid=48864&navAction=jump&navCount=1
    Quote Quote  
  3. a player that can play everything for 79.99 dollars sounds to good to be true and it probably is!!! i never heard of a company call Oritron...the company might be a low buget company that puts not reliable lazers and motors i wont trust a company i never heard before..hey i might be wrong so i suggest u buy it an reyurn it if it doesnt come up with your playback standards
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well they do have a whole line of products :
    http://202.130.164.109/oritron/index.htm
    Quote Quote  
  5. at wal mart they have 80$ apex dvd players that play everything, even xsvcd.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh Jeez, is Wallyworld selling Oritron players now?! I guess that Circuit City had enough customers return Oritron players that they passed them on to another retailer. Oritron is perhaps the one player that is worse than Apex.

People, do yourself a favor.... if you can't afford the $150 for a solid quality player, wait a few months, save up your money until you can. A $99 Apex or $79 Oritron is no bargain.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My $120 APEX plays everything.

I dun see why ppl put down APEX.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Ya, I love my Apex, I have had it a year and play the hell out of it. So the controls are totally lame and the digital lcd is very basic. I have had no problems. For the price it is worth (which I didn't pay because it was a gift).If it broke I would problably get another one. Most of the time when you buy electronics or anything else for that matter you are buying the same parts probably soldered on the same factory floor sold with a different name brand on the market. And I can hook up two mic's and have karaoke all night long, and that can make for a cool party.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Oh my god that Oritron player is total crap. I know because I got it. They gave it away for free at Circut City if you bought a 27 inch TV or larger.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Oritron is similar to the APEX in a way that it actually uses a DVD-Rom as the media reader for it this is why most of them play almost everything. I personally bought the APEX because it is the easiest to upgrade the bios on it to allow for region free and to turn off macrovision.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-11-12 15:14:03, Greg12 wrote:
    My $120 APEX plays everything.

I dun see why ppl put down APEX.
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

No one disputes that the Apex can play everything.

As for MY reason for putting down Apex is that playback quality is pure cr@p. A few of my friends have them (various models) and DVD, VCD, SVCD, etc. playback is significantly worse than the RCA I use to have...and worse than my current Pioneer.

I'd bring homemade VCDs over to play at their house, video was choppy, blocky, would break up, and eventually get out of A/V sync. No matter what media I tried, or encoding, burning methods I tried, they always played back poorly on the Apex. (We're not talking about a single unit... different people, different model players)

I brought my player over to their houses and played those same discs... they were stunned that the playback was so crystal clear.

If you want to play your DVD player through your VCR(blecch!) then sure, the Apex is fine...but if you want QUALITY playback...look elsewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    are you sure they weren't crappy encoded vcds.

I don't play dvds on my tv much. I use my laptop because it can adjust for 16:9 movies.

i use my apex for vcd and svcd
    Quote Quote