VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm with Spectrum, and I've been losing my internet a lot recently. I brushed it off as effects of covid-19 traffic. But then Spectrum was telling me there are no outages, and my brother who lives nearby, also with Spectrum, had no issues.

So I'm suspecting maybe I did with one of two devices I've been playing around with, that is the Tivo Stream 4k and my Qnap NAS. I've never set static IPS for any device except for the Tivo Stream 4k and the Qnap NAS, which I suspect I shouldn't have done for one of those and it has been crippling my internet. I've since removed them from the static ip list. Could setting static IPs incorrectly completely cripple the internet? I don't know what I could have done wrong, it looks fairly simple. In the LAN, there is a section called DHCP SERVER, and within this there is a section called STATIC IP ASSIGNMENT WITHIN DHCP IP POOL (MAXIMUM 64). There is a drop down of all the MAC & IP addresses I can choose from. I simply select the Qnap NAS, then click ADD. I did the same for the Tivo Stick.

So I'm hoping you guys can help me understand what I'm looking at when I'm in my Router Admin. There is something called the USER list. It is showing me 42 users. The table is called CLIENT INFORMATION. It has 4 columns, the Name, the IP, the MAC and the INTERFACE. So I get that, it's a list of all the devices connected to my LAN. But under ADVANCED settings in the STATUS section, under DHCP LEASES, there is only 6 devices listed. Why is there such a large discrepancy? I have many more questions, but we'll start here. LOL! Thank you for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just a few minutes after I submitted the above post, I lost my internet and revived it.... TWICE. LOL! So with the 2 static IPs removed, with a brand-new modem which I made an exchange for yesterday. I was up for over 10 hrs, and I thought it has been fixed, but obviously not. Maybe this is related to Covid-19 traffic after all. Is fiber optics less susceptible to traffic overload?

I do have this question... I realize when I try to revive my internet, that turning everything off, including moca adapters, as well as disconnecting the cable at the point of entry is working much better than simply disconnecting modem. It seems I'm less successful when just disconnecting and reconnecting modem. More successful when I go around the house turning off the moca adapters, as well as disconnect cable at the p.o.e. Is that just my imagination, or is there truth to that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    internal static ips don't effect your connection to the net. losing signal connectivity to the modem has to do with from your modem to the outside world only. bad outside cabling, too many people on the same cable, bad repeater on the line. lots of things you have no control over.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Make sure there's no overlap of static and dynamic IP addresses.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Regarding the DHCP lease listing only 6 devices. I'm still curious about that. Why is it way less than the 42 connected users?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my router shows 16 connections with 8 listed as static and 8 dhcp. i didn't assign any static ips so the router itself is just calling them that for some reason.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote