VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a TP-Link basic usb dongle (model TLWN725N 150mb) to pick up wifi on a Windows xp and Windows 7 computer. The dongle initially worked, but stopped working about a year ago. (The xp computer internal wifi broke, so this is why I bought the dongle. I put the dongle on the Windows 7 computer just to test, and the same problem occurred, not being able to see my router or the public library router. My router is At&t and is working on 2.4GHz. At&t tech said there is no problem with the router. I tried temporarily trying other channels on the router with no success. See third screenshot. This is the At&t router showing correctly on computer with working internal wifi. First screenshot is the xp computer with TP-Link dongle. As you can see, my router isn't even listed, so I can't get connected to the wifi. As a test, (see second screenshot) I used my Verizon phone as a hotspot, and I connected no problem with the TP-Link dongle.
    My question is: why can't the dongle see my At&t router? The dongle also will not see the public library wifi, when I am inside the library. I have asked TP-Link about this problem, but to no avail, they said the dongle is out of warranty. Finally, I bought another dongle from ebay for $2.11 and with that dongle, I can see my router and the public library no problem, and can connect to them no problem.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	figure2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	71453  

Click image for larger version

Name:	figure3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	71454  

Image Attached Images  
    Last edited by jimdagys; 2nd Jun 2023 at 16:49.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    did you try uninstalling / reinstalling the wifi adapter ??

on your AT&T router settings, see if you have both 2.4GHz & 5GHz enabled
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The dongle is faulty,that's why it can't see anything where as the one just bought sees everything.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It can be also something else - some misconfiguration for dongle and/or router - there is many possibilities so without details almost impossible to help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. What more details do you want? I installed the latest driver for that dongle from TP-Link and it made no difference. I disabled and reenabled 5Ghz on the router, no difference. If you look at the first screenshot in my original posting, that is the defective TP-Link dongle. You cannot say that the dongle doesn't pick up anything. You can see there are many wifi's that the dongle is picking up, but not MY router. (My router is shown in screenshot 3, ATTBrg) It also picked up and connected to my Verizon hotspot. Also, inside the public library I cannot pick their router but other (more distant) routers are listed. Library tech said no one has ever complained about not picking up their router, which is configured for all devices to use. I don't have any problem now, since the ebay dongle works correctly, but I am very curious about this situation with the TP-Link dongle.
    Quote Quote