VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Sorry about being a bum and not including pics.

REQIREMENTS: Windows XP or ME w/ Movie Maker, 15 gigs free space per tape TMPEnc, Firewire Card

1. In Windows Movie Maker (Start->Programs->Accessories->Movie Maker) Click Record. Have your Camera hooked up via Firewire your tape queued to where you want it to capture from.

2. You can have it create clips if you want, but I leave it off. I use the preview while capturing. Note: this only previews video, not audio. Make sure where it says Record you have your camera selected. For setting, pick other, and then choose DV-AVI. Click Record and let it go for a while. It will automatically stop at the end of the tape

3. Open TMPEnc This is where your procedure may vary from mine. My template is MPEG-1 352x240 29.97 FPS CBR 2200kbps, Layer-2 48000Hz 224Kbps. The audio must be at 48KHz or it will be slightly distorted. Other than that, you can play with the settings as you like. With these settings, you can make an excellent quality VCD with few blocks and great sound between 40 and 45min. Its good for VHS->VCD or just home movies. I’ve done both with great success. If you want my template, I will post it in the tools section.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are writing a guide like this, you should be aware that there is a potential field ordering problem which has always dogged my attempts at this process. See

http://people.freenet.de/codecpage/DV.html#Anker40218

PN
    Quote Quote  
  3. What software did you used to burn the VCD? I'm asking because with Easy Creator 5 I was not allowed to burn a VCD with a different value of bitrate, other then 1150kbps. Even if it says something like: the bitrate value you selected is not compatible with a VCD standard do you like to keep this one an burn the CD or you want to change it ? and if I don't change it the burning procees will stop.
    Probably Nero will accept a different value of bitrate?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Nice guide noname, but you should change the name because you are not making a VCD here. Since your video bitrate is too high, and the audio sample rate is too high, this is no longer a standard VCD. It is called an xVCD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if using a dv camcorder i find you have to have the de interlace box checked and select the correct fiels order
    Dont feed the little Varmits too much
    Quote Quote  
  6. Your right Kris, it is an XVCD. Brain fart I guess. Gerula, I used Nero 5.5. Uncheck the "use standard compliant MPEG" or whatever it says. Ive never had any luck with easy cd. And Panash, thanks for the article. I never knew that about the field order on DV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but the ME version of Windows Movie Maker does not allow for DV AVI capture; only the XP version does, right?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Why would you take high quality DV and convert with Windows Movie
    Maker(max bitrate is 768kbps)?Use a quality program such as Ulead
    Videostudio or Premiere
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My point exactly. The ME version of Windows Movie Maker only allows for capture at a max bitrate of 768kbps. The XP version, I believe, allows for DV AVI capture.
    Quote Quote  
  10. hi iam new to this forum ,i have sony DCR TRV 11 mini dv camcorder,and iam using ulead videostudio 6 to capture video through a firewire card,will u please suggest me the best settings to encode using tmpgenc to create vcd or cvd
    raji
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Why would you take high quality DV and convert with Windows Movie
    Maker(max bitrate is 768kbps)?Use a quality program such as Ulead
    Videostudio or Premiere
    I did. I download DVcam to computer, edit, and then export it back to DVcam. But the image is lesser quality than the original ! I though the firewire transfer is lossless. Is this normal ?
    Quote Quote