VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    When I take a TMPGEnc encoded MPEG2 file, and load it in VCDEasy, VCDEasy tells me to "consider enabling the 'update scan offset' option, if it is not enabled already" I've searched hi & lo to find this option, but no success this far.
    Now, I mailed delphi stuff about this, and the prompt reply was that this was available under settings after enabling expert mode in VCDEasy 1.1.5 beta. Now, I don't have 1.1.5 beta (I have 1.1.4), and don't want to furter bother delphi stuff, since I haven't had the decency to donate anything for this in every respect outstanding piece of software.
    Anyone who knows where this option might be found?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go to "Settings". Go to "(S)VCD Player". Look in the "SVCD" section.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BUT if your current disks are playing correctly than do not enable this setting. It will only add overhead to your disk. Instead just enable the option to have VCDEasy stop reporting this warning.

The SVCD Scan offsets are basically like timestamps in the stream. They are used by some players to maintain sync, especially during seeking. My old Apex actually required them for playback at all, but the fact is that few dvd players even look at these. In most cases they will only take up space on your disk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was wondering, does this warning only occur under certain situations? It seems that when I use TMPEG to create a file, I get this warning, but when I used Ulead Video Studio to create my file the warning did not appear.

Another question... are there any players that are known to FAIL when this option is selected? I only ask because my brother insists that his standalone DVD player plays SVCDs, but it refuses to play any that "I" make. He has sent me an SVCD that HE made (not sure what programs) and it plays fine on my standalone. The one he made plays and mine do not.

I was wondering if enabling the scan offset might have something to do with this?

Thanks!
    Nitemare
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Certain programs will add the svcd scan offsets by default, or at least give you the option of adding them. TMPGenc does neither, so if you are using TMPGenc's direct output for authoring you will get this warning every time. The scan offsets are actually required for SVCD compliance, but like I said almost no dvd players even parse them.

I doubt there are any players that will outright fail to play a SVCD with the scan offsets enabled. Like I said, they are actually required for compliance. TMPGenc, at least from my experience, does NOT correctly multiplex SVCD program streams when you encode audio and video together. If you are encoding like this then that is more likely the reason your SVCDs fail on your brother's player, or perhaps there is some other reason but I doubt it is the scan offsets.
    Quote Quote  
  6. the update scan option, does it not try to fix the way tmpg encodes because its used the chinese standard and not the world standard.

i have found in useing a tmpg encode file with this checked it will tell me vcdeasy must autopad the file(inceases the size of mb)

but if i de-multiplex {mpg2 super vcd} the file (doesnt fix on my comp if i use simple-demultipx) and then multiplex (again not simple), but with it uncheck the file is fine and a burns right, plays both ways in my norcent dp-300

dont know my be its just me,
    Quote Quote