VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

What can I install on my win7 64bit PC with 32Gb ddr ram and a GTX970 4Gb ram i7 CPU . enough to do video etc..built for such... to make a good job of de-interlacing without spending much dosh as I may not need it after returning to the shop for test 2. here is the story.

I am interested in buying a flat screen LCD (or do I mean LED ?) TV, (its a current flattie by Panasonic) played it my test footage on dvd of 16:9 and also 4:3 SD footage, it actually performed as well as my Sony Wega KD 32DX51U which shows DETAIL in SD, up till now no flat screen LED plasma whatever has managed to match it, but now I am looking at a Panny that does. However all my footage had a haircombe effect down edges of moving objects, on the CRT WEGA this is simply not there, Its interlaced of course !
    So to view all my SD footage and not have this mess then I need to do a test.
    Create the dvd but feed the authoring prog the same clips but deinterlaced using the best method for doing so.
    I will also do a test turning on the interlaced setting on the shops dvd player, and feeding it the original progressive disc but which was made with the interlaced footage.
    If that works it saves me a lot of deinterlacing after having bought the TV.

The dvd player used in the shop was set to progressive as the TV was progressive HD.

I saw that Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate (free) had a deinterlace ability, yet installed it and it simply isnt there, no edit button on the clip, and no means of asking them as support needs a purchase number !

What can I install on my win7 64bit PC with 32Gb ddr ram and a GTX970 4Gb ram i7 CPU . enough to do video etc..built for such... to make a good job of de-interlacing without spending much dosh as I may not need it after returning to the shop for test 2.

Can a modern flattie have a setting to turn on to view interlaced, that would solve all interlacing issues, I thought they were 'dyed in the wool' progressive ! I ask that as one poster elsewhere said dont interlace unless really need to as makes video worse, turn on interlacing on the tv instead.

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  2. Free and best deinterlacer by far: AviSynth + QTGMC

Every TV has a deinterlacer built in.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Free and best deinterlacer by far: AviSynth + QTGMC

Every TV has a deinterlacer built in.
    +1 Jagabo.

I'd also add that, IMHO, doing your own deinterlacing is a waste of time because the deinterlacers built into most TVs do an excellent job.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have googled Avisynth and QTGMC and get bamboozled with what appears to be a need to be a coder.
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/QTGMC shows scripts to tweak.
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156028

do I just install Avisynth and then what do I do for this QTGMC as I have zero coding or scripting ability, I just want to go file open, select the video clip, choose de interlace and maybe blend or linear or some other option, and have it do it.

Not sure why the guy in the shop didnt turn on Interlace for the panny TV, when we saw the haircomb effects. If he had and it got rid of it I would have bought it there and then. As it is I now need to try and get rid of those effects in all my SD footage, hundreds of files., if the tv has an ability to turn those effects off then wow, problem solved, I am buying it. I so want to buy it anyway, absolutely must, first modern flattie to match my CRT WEGA for detail in SD. but those comb effects worried me.

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Because most sales persons have not a clue about what they sell. They are only selling a box.

That being said, one would have to explore the manual of the tv for particular settings.

My own understanding is that digital tv (and monitors) are progressive and de-interlace when they find interlaced content. The issue could well be the player and the mis-informed sales person.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The TV needs to know the source is interlaced before it will deinterlace it. If the player doesn't tell it the video is interlaced the TV will not deinterlace it. A player that upscales interlaced video as if it was progressive may send the TV a corrupt progressive signal -- the TV won't deinteralce. Even if it sends an interlaced signal, if the video was corrupted by mishandling, the TV's deinterlacing won't work correctly.

With professionally produced material (commercial DVD, Blu-ray, broadcast) this deinterlacing isn't a problem. All the equipment is designed appropriately. But with badly produced material is likely to have problems.
    Quote Quote  
  7. For someone not familiar with AviSynth and scripting in general, using a program that comes with everything you need will save you a lot of headaches. I've never used the program but I know StaxRip comes with AviSynth, QTGMC, and all the third party filters that are required.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The TV needs to know the source is interlaced before it will deinterlace it. If the player doesn't tell it the video is interlaced the TV will not deinterlace it. A player that upscales interlaced video as if it was progressive may send the TV a corrupt progressive signal -- the TV won't deinteralce. Even if it sends an interlaced signal, if the video was corrupted by mishandling, the TV's deinterlacing won't work correctly.

With professionally produced material (commercial DVD, Blu-ray, broadcast) this deinterlacing isn't a problem. All the equipment is designed appropriately. But with badly produced material is likely to have problems.
    In my experience 3 android boxes connected to 3 full hd ips monitors, 2x4k tvs and 1 fullhd tv almost all of them have "problem" recognizing interlaced material especially if it is in the lower range lower than 720i 1080i somehow they all figure it out that is progressive and live it interlaced. I know that a person with knowledge good player (vlc,mx archos or similar) can set it right but for "regular person" it is always better to deinterlace with qtgmc than to leave it to the machines. All of my Tvs players leave it interlace and never make the "magic" of deinterlacing them self and they call them smart If you connect dvd (most don't have hdmi) or even vcr directly to tv (scart or component ) then yeah they deinterlace but for "modern" devices it is better to start progressive than to let TV deinterlace. From my knowledge deinterlacers in TVs are there for the cable/antenna signal of dvb t or atsc channels not homemade videos on flash drives
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Whilst awaiting on answer to AVISynth I thought I would try HANDBRAKE. I couldnt see anything else in fact to try, except perhaps Pavtube video converter ultimate which muscles in in a review saying its better.
    Handbrake has the attached image options. so far I have tried decomb and default, and decomb and Bob. No idea what are best.
    Decomb only decombs the parts needing it, so it is said.

However instead of 17Mb of .mpg I get 7Mb of MP4 and it has no mpg option for output.
    usually file size is an indicator of quality, is mp4 as good as my SD mpg file ?

The shop chap is in fact the owner and experienced. I took along a test DVD with SD footage from TV broadcasts as well as camcorder footage, which I had created in TMPGenc Authoring works using the 'progressive' setting. Maybe if it had been made using the 'interlaced' setting the TV would have seen that and auto switched to interlaced play, he said afterwards the DVD unit was set to Progressive so we could try again with it set to Interlaced.

I will take along the original dvd test discs created using 'interlaced' and also a new one where I have deinterlaced the footage before sending it through TMPGenc.

I would like to see it as mpg though and 17 not 7 for this clip. and matching sizes or maybe greater if de-interlacing increases file size, for other clips. If it increases file size then I wont be able to fit the clips onto the dvd though.

I have also now installed StaxRIP and googled deinterlacing with Staxrip and found no guidance, looked on youtube and again nothing at all, looked in its pdf and again nothing to say how one deinterlaces a clip, some step by step guidance etc, I search on deinterlacing and donk nothing found, interlace shows a variety of options so its in there but how to get at it ? I have looked at all the settings and cannot see de interlacing. It installed AVISynth during install when I ok's the prompt.

Baffled.
    DBenz
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Handbrake settings available deinterlacing.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	49777  

Last edited by DBenz; 11th Aug 2019 at 14:34.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DBenz View Post
    I will also do a test turning on the interlaced setting on the shops dvd player, and feeding it the original progressive disc but which was made with the interlaced footage.
    You're saying you'll make an interlaced DVD (with truly interlaced content) but encode it as progressive? Then most DVD players and televisions will fail. Almost all PAL DVDs - whether the content is interlaced or progressive - are encoded as interlaced. Doing the reverse - encoding interlaced content as progressive - is just asking for trouble.

If your interlaced DVDs are showing the interlace when played on a DVD player through your television, there was something done very wrong in the process and these most likely aren't commercial releases made by reputable companies but home-made jobs created by the ignorant.

A sample of what you're trying to explain might help - 10 seconds or so of steady motion will be enough.

Edit: Just saw your previous post. These aren't DVDs then, that you're having a problem with? Even though your first post is full of talk about DVD players and DVDs? Then mammo1789 is right - don't count on the android players or smart TVs to properly deinterlace your home made MP4s or MKVs. Don't know about MPGs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will be revisiting armed with two types of authored dvd's
    1) use the original interlaced clips and create an 'interlaced' dvd#1 using TMPGenc DVD Authoring works.
    2) deinterlace the clips then make a progressive dvd#2 of them using TMPGenc DVD Authoring works.

see what works best in playing my test footage with minimal or no comb effects. See if the TV latches onto the fact its interlaced in test dvd#1

As Handbrake makes mp4 with no mpg options, 7Mb versus 17Mb same clip, is it still going to enable me to judge the Tv on quality ?

I see another prog also only delivers mp4.

in an article mp4 versus mpg it seems as if mp4 is just as good, though then another thread says its just a holder, the file size is the real indicator of quality, if thats the case, oh dear oh dear. why do these progs dispense with mpg ?

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by DBenz View Post
    HANDBRAKE... However instead of 17Mb of .mpg I get 7Mb of MP4 and it has no mpg option for output.
    usually file size is an indicator of quality, is mp4 as good as my SD mpg file ?
    File size is only indicative of quality is everything else is equal. MP4 is a container. The container does not determine the quality of the video and audio that is contained within it. The codecs and compression settings determine the quality of the contents. You probably used x264 (an h.264 encoder, aka AVC, MPEG 4 part 10) in Handbrake. That is much more efficient than MPEG 2 that is used on DVD. If you start with a high quality source and make one encoding with MPEG 2 and another with x264 you'll find that x264 can deliver about the same quality with 1/4 the bitrate. So 17 MB MPEG 2 to 7 MB h.264 does not indicate a big quality change. You can always force handbrake to create a bigger file by using a higher quality setting (lower RF value) or switching to bitrate mode and using a higher bitrate. Also the encoder preset effects quality with the slower presets delivering generally higher quality.

Originally Posted by DBenz View Post
    TV broadcasts as well as camcorder footage, which I had created in TMPGenc Authoring works using the 'progressive' setting. Maybe if it had been made using the 'interlaced' setting the TV would have seen that and auto switched to interlaced play, he said afterwards the DVD unit was set to Progressive so we could try again with it set to Interlaced.
    Yes, if you encoded interlaced material as if it was progressive the DVD player has no way of knowing the video is interlaced. So the DVD player won't deinterlace the video. Neither will the TV since the DVD player won't tell the TV the video is interlaced.
    Last edited by jagabo; 20th Jun 2022 at 07:56.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by DBenz View Post
    See if the TV latches onto the fact its interlaced in test dvd#1
    If it was encoded as interlaced, it gets deinterlaced automatically. If you still see interlacing then you screwed up. Maybe you resized interlaced content incorrectly. Again, a sample will tell the tale.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by PaulSmt View Post
    Although my brother thinks that deinterlace blurs the picture, devices with progressive scanning can qualitatively translate the interlaced video into progressive.
    First of all, interlacing itself blurs the video because it discards half the vertical resolution. And with the 4:2:0 chroma subsampling used in most AV formats the chroma is damaged even more. How much further the picture is degraded by deinterlacing depends on the deinterlacing algorithm used and the nature of the content. You could lose as much as 50 percent of the spacial and temporal resolution. Or you may be able to keep almost all of both.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Is the spam getting smarter or are we getting dumber?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    With properly made interlaced video you lose no more than 30% of vertical resolution for normal playback (not watching a still/single field). Interlace doesn't discard half the vertical resolution, although it does discard half the lines. With a loss of 50% there wouldn't even be a point in doing interlace anymore – might as well use half the height at progressive scan then, same result.
    See Kell Factor
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Answering original question, I had good results using VirtualDub2 + DeShaker plugin: http://www.guthspot.se/video/deshaker.htm which has a deinterlace option:
    "it can turn interlaced video into progressive video with twice the framerate. Earlier versions of VirtualDub didn't allow for filters to change the frame rate, so the two progressive frames are interlaced into the same output frame. In order to get the true progressive video, you must separate the fields of this video afterwards. In later versions of VirtualDub you can do that by adding a Bob doubler filter after Deshaker, using the deinterlacing method None - alternate fields. "
    Quote Quote