VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 (157310) gaming capture card. It has been nothing but a pain since the day I bought it. The customer service replaced my new box for a refurbished one.
    Since that card didn't actually help anything, they have chosen to ignore me when I ask them what software can I use to capture with. Until a few days ago, I was able to capture with their software that came with the card (not the WinTV) but it made the video uneditable in the programs I have always used to edit, but it did actually capture what was being played. A couple days ago, suddenly, it no longer could see the card. I start up WinTV and it shows the picture and sound perfectly so my constant fiddling with the cables isn't needed, the software that came with the card just decided to stop. I even updated it, that didn't work so I ununistalled and reinstalled a couple times, that did nothing. In WinTV, of course when I record it, it is a bad file, all choppy and broken up, but it at least detects the capture card. I have found zero software that I can use to capture properly with this card.

So I'm looking for suggestions on software, I've tried so many programs but I'm sure there's like a hundred I don't know about. I also am interested in finding a replacement, because this card is clearly an expensive piece of junk that needs to be replaced by something other than Hauppauge. I've used their cards for the past 4 computers and this is the second card that's given me problems so I'm hoping some of you have suggestions on actual good capture cards I can replace it with. I wouldn't mind it being an internal card.

What I'm doing is using the component cables to capture my Xfinity cable box with the Playstation (component) cable it came with. I tried to hook up the HDMI a couple times and nothing worked, only the component so I'm looking for a card that can capture component from a set top box. Anybody have any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any capture device which hardware encodes is going to have limited options for recording software. The manufacturer's supplied software is often the only option. Capture devices which record using software tend to have more options for capture software, but don't work with third-party PVR software for recording TV like some of Hauppauge's HD-PVR family capture devices can.

If you want an internal card with component video support which is not Hauppage, there is the AVerMedia C027 AVerTV HD DVR, Startech PEXHDCAP60L, and Magewell Pro Capture HDMI which encode with software.

The AVerMedia GC550 Live Gamer Extreme and Startech USB3HDCAP are external USB 3.0 capture devices that accept component video input and encode using software.

The AverMedia Live Gamer Portable hardware encodes and accepts component video input, but deinterlaces all interlaced input for recording and frame decimates 1080i input to capture at 1080p30. If I recall correctly, it only works with its own software.

There are a few capture devices which are self-contained although you must supply the storage for them as a separate purchase. The Avermedia Game Capture HD II is one with Component video input and one program timer. The HDM Cloner Box Pro is another option, but it deinterlaces all recordings and frame decimates 1080i input to capture at 1080p30.

If you are interested recording ordinary cable channels at the time they are broadcast for time-shifting, I'd suggest getting a CableCARD tuner for recording from Comcast/Xfinity rather than a capture device. (CableCARD tuners are a less attractive solution for premium channels like HBO, and won't work for on-demand offerings.) I have been using one, a SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime for two years. It works with Windows 7/8's media center and NextPVR. SiliconDust's own PVR software is still in Beta, but hopefully not forever. The only annoyance was getting a correctly provisioned CableCARD from Comcast. I had to make two trips to their office to get one that worked. Setting up NextPVR and Windows Media Center is tedious, but doable with a bit of patience. The first CableCARD is free if the customer has no cable boxes, otherwise the monthly cost for the CableCARD equals the additional outlet fee minus $2.50.

[Edit]I was looking for information on another device, and ran across a review for the AVerMedia C027, which indicated that the chips used for the AVerMedia C027 changed since I researched it a few years ago. Color for component video captures is no longer acceptable with the current hardware revision. Another review from the same website (https://thethrillness.blogspot.co.uk/) said the color for component captures made by the AverMedia Live Gamer Portable was overly dark as well. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th May 2017 at 17:52. Reason: typo & for clarity added more info.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I apologize for the delayed response. Thank you so much for all that information. I'm looking to record things off DVR, not tv directly. I have many shows sitting on my dvr that need to be recorded onto my computer so I can edit them and make compilations, so that's what I've been doing. Although I am a gamer, OBS always satisfies my needs when it comes to capturing gaming. It's funny about that cable card. My family used to own one when they purchased a HDTV and the cable card was the solution. They no longer have those. However, I have the main DVR and haven't had problems capturing from it with the Hauppauge (when their program worked), so I'm going to look into those cards you mention and see if any of those choices will work. My DVR box is constantly making grinding and odd noises, so I've been trying to get everything off it before heading up to a comcast/xfinity office where they will probably just give me the same box model.
    Quote Quote