VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all, I am new to the site. I am in the middle of digitising my Hi8 tape collection, using my trusted 1997 TR920e Camcorder, which I have had since new. Last night the camera jammed as I loaded a tape and will not open or budge at all. I have been in touch with ` regional technician asking for help, but have been told that parts for this machine cannot be obtained anymore. Is this true? Firstly, I need to extract the tape, which I do not want to lose and secondly would like to get the camera serviced/ repaired. I live in Hampshire in the south of the UK. Are there any members here who are UK based and if so, do you know where I can go for help?
    I would be grateful for any assistance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is the tape still jammed in the camera ??
    have you tried removing the AC adapter & battery
    and letting the camera sit for a few hours ??
    try that and see if you can get the tape out.
    you might try looking for parts on ebay.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    Hi October 262, yes I have done everything you suggest. The trouble is the door is jammed almost completely shut. the only real access is through the plastic panel on the side of the door, held on by 2 screws. I have had the panel off but I can't even access the tape, to free it from the drivers!!
    As far as parts go, I don't know what I would need to buy, I don't know what, if anything is actually broken. I have had a look on line for a repair manual but can only find a user manual, on the Sony website, which isn't very helpful when it comes to identifying what is holding the door shut. At this stage My only only option might be a hammer!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what happens when you push the button to eject the tape ??
    does it sound like gears slipping or something else ??
    also does the camera have a button cell sized battery inside the camera ??
    if yes, then it will also need to be removed for the camera to reset.
    try rewinding or fast forwarding the tape then try opening the door.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Don't keep rewinding/winding.
    Could be the tape is wrapped over a spindle many times and doing more ff/rw will simply make it worse.

Get a service manual.
    https://servicemanuals.us/sony/movie/ccd-tr820e-ccd-tr825e-ccd-tr920e-ccd-tr930.html

Figure out if there's any way to get the door or unit open without breaking that door (ie. External screws vs internal screws).

If there's no external access, you'll simply have to call the door a loss and figure out a clean way to cut/break it open to get to the tape.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a similar problem with my 8mm/Hi8 camcorder. A few times the camcorder stopped and said "eject tape" and when ejected there were a few inches of tape loose that I had to lift off the spindles. The last time the door jammed like yours. I took the outer part of the door off which left the metal casing it was mounted on. Very gently I took a plastic butter knife and pushed on the top of the tape to try to see if I could tell where the tape was wound around inside. Like I said I was being careful but I pried it enough to create a little space. Just doing that moved the tape enough to where when I pushed on the metal casing and pressed eject, it opened. Maybe slim odds but worth a try.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the all the input folks, it is appreciated. I ended up sending the camera, with tape inside, to a video dvd creator who actually put both damaged tapes I had from the camera, plus the one inside and made mp4s for me at a very reasonable cost. I have them all back now and thankfully, the camera is working fine. I have now managed to digitise the rest of my collection (a Toal of 45 tapes), without any further issue. What the cause was, I shall never know, but now I embark on the interesting journey of trying to edit the tapes and make some little movies from them. That takes me into another realm I have yet to understand.
    Quote Quote