VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've attached a WAV file that has a low level hum from an open mic. Is there a simple way to eliminate or even lessen it? I'm using Sony Vegas 8. Thanks in advance!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Need hardware info

What Mic? What Mic cable? Connected how? To what input?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its' a Rode mic, with XLR cable, connected to a Blue Tube, then to mixer, then into a channel on the camera. The audio has already been recorded. I'm just trying to figure out how to lessen this rumbling sound. I think I can do it with EQ, but I need to determine what frequency and bandwidth it occurs at. Is there a way to determine that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sdsumike619 View Post
    Its' a Rode mic, with XLR cable, connected to a Blue Tube, then to mixer, then into a channel on the camera. The audio has already been recorded. I'm just trying to figure out how to lessen this rumbling sound. I think I can do it with EQ, but I need to determine what frequency and bandwidth it occurs at. Is there a way to determine that?
    I could help track down the original problem but...

Hum usually occurs at 60Hz power frequency so to eliminate you would low EQ filter out 60Hz. Set pass threshhold above 60Hz.

This usually doesn't hurt an isolated voice track but can mess up music.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like air conditioner noise. To start, typically roll off spoken dialog below 250 Hz and above 10,000 Hz at 12 dB/octave. Adjust to taste.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You don't have to limit yourself to Vegas' toolset or blindly guess what frequencies the noise occurs at . Audacity (free) has an ok noise removal plugin. You capture a section footprint that is primarily the background noise you want to remove, then apply the filter to the entire piece . Your specific sample has a section with primarily noise only (speaker isn't speaking at that point) , so I would sample from that section . The more aggressive you use NR, the more artifacts and distortions occur, but even a mild NR setting can improve your recording without distorting the speech too much .

EDIT: attached audacity export. This is by no means a great job, but just to demonstrate you can reduce the background noise a bit. You can notice that the speech is slightly distorted, so perhaps lowering the settings would have been better. If you use better software like audition , soundforge or similar software you have more control and can get better results
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 21st Aug 2010 at 16:14.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Used Track EQ, picked the (1), set Frequency to 243, Gain to -Inf. and rolloff is on 12. It eliminates the rumble and takes a little bass out of the voice. I did have some recorded music on the same track so I just moved that audio to a separate track so it wouldn't be affected. Attached another section after the above settings were applied. Much better than what it was for a quick fix.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Poison, when I listen to yours, it sounds like the low rumble is cut out between words, but still there when he's speaking, like an on/off type of thing. I think the one I did with Vegas is ok. I had the audio playing and used the slider to move up the range until I heard it disappear for the most part.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That sounds just fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Need hardware info

I'd still love to know how any of this info you requested is supposed to help
    filter out the hum?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Need hardware info

I'd still love to know how any of this info you requested is supposed to help
    filter out the hum?
    Because his original post could be interpreted as a recurring production issue. He didn't say "The audio has already been recorded" until later. He was complaining about hum. It should be fixed at the source.
    Quote Quote