VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ive got a pinnacle pctv.

i have sattietile dish and i split a cable from the satilite box into my computer. I CANT CHANGE THE CHANNEL on the satillite conection. I heard theres a decryptor thing out there... if anyone knows about that please help me!

also when i resize or fullscreen and than unscreen i have video/audio sync problems! anyone know anything about that?!!??

ONE MORE THING!!!
    when i record off the progrAM (which is exellent by the way) the file size comes out to be incredibly large. if anyone knows about a good compressing program please tell.!

THANKS!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by gooberguy
    I heard theres a decryptor thing out there...
    There are lots of decryptor things out there, I use DVD Decrypter alot.

Originally Posted by gooberguy
    also when i resize or fullscreen and than unscreen i have video/audio sync problems! anyone know anything about that?!!??
    How can your video be out of sync when its unscreened?

ONE MORE THING!!!
    when i record off the progrAM (which is exellent by the way) the file size comes out to be incredibly large. if anyone knows about a good compressing program please tell.!
    TMPGEnc can make the files much smaller. As can WinZip and WinRAR

THANKS!!!!!!
    WELCOME!!!!!!!!
    Ejoc's CVD Page:
    DVDDecrypter -> DVD2AVI -> Vobsub -> AVISynth -> TMPGEnc -> VCDEasy

DVD:
    DVDShrink -> RecordNow DX

Capture:
    VirualDub -> AVISynth -> QuEnc -> ffmpeggui -> TMPGEnc DVD Author
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    nice literal thingie.

i mean a sattelite decyptor and i mean smaller windowed not unscreened!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Goober,

Those satellite decryptors are known as decoders sold "only to test" your reception.

In other words, they are illegal theft-of-service devices.

Naturally, you can't change your channels with the card and its program.

When you set it up, the first thing it wants to do is scan for active channels, and I'd bet it found only channel 3 or 4, depending on what your VCR or TV uses as an input. All satellite channels are "encrypted". They do not come to your TV in the clear, or you wouldn't need the box. It is not cable.

The only way to change channels is to change on the box, then watch the same program on the TV and PC.

I'm sure you knew that you could not record to VCR a program you were not watching. So, why would a PCTV card be able to get around that?

The PCTV captures in .avi format, large files. After you have captured, click the next tab, "Edit", and you will be able to make your movie one piece, cut out commercials, etc.

When you're done there, click on the next tab, "Make Movie. You should have 3 options, .avi, MPEG, and I think either Quick Time, Real Player, or WMV. Choose MPEG and tell it to go. That 4 gigabytes should be rendered to 700 megabytes or so.

I took my PCTV out long ago, so this is from memory, but it is close.

Look to the left and you will see links to literally hundreds of tools to use for what you want.

I really do think you should do SOME research before you scream for help

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  5. Goober

You would probably get alot better picture quality if you could input your video through S-Video or even the Composite(Yellow) Video plug instead of using, what sounds like that is, a coax cable split from your satellite receiver.

I've read about a satellite box that's used in Europe that can do what you ask (I think I have, that is). I can't remember the link, but I think it does exist. I don't think it will work with DirectTV or DishNetwork.

To have more control over your captures (file type and size) you might be able to use other capture software besides what came with your PCTV card. I had a PCI PCTV card a few years and it was capable of using other software so I would suppose yours will also.

I would assume that the card doesn't have hardware MPEG support so you might be limited to capturing in AVI anyway(?).

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    gmatov,
    do you think goober picked a good name ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    FOO,

Definitely!!!

Bottlenecked,

If they have such a box in Europe, it would, by Dish and DirecTV be illegal. If it decodes the signal, it would either be registered with them and charged 5 bucks a month addt'l, or they would consider it theft.

I don't give a damn about that. I AM saying the signal coming out of the box is channel 3 or 4, period.

Therefore, if you split before the box, as I have for cable ( I get all the NON-digital channels to my cap card ) you would get nothing to the cap card, as it is not a format or signal the card can see. If you split after the box, you get only the channel selected by the box, filtered, descrambled, decoded, converted, whatever term you wish to use, changed to channel 3 or 4 frequency..

You want to capture, you WILL change the channel at the box, and it WILL only be seen on channel 3 or 4 on the card.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  8. I think what I remember reading about it is the input signal from the box was still in digital format, not illigal, just digital to a special capture card. I don't think it will work here in the US. But it was a legal setup for digital capture and it advertised better quality(still if I remember what I read)(it's been awhile and a few pages ago).lol

You're right about using ch3-4, but I use S-Video and am getting alot better picture quality than through the tuner input. lol I still must use the remote control to change channels.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Bottle,

Even with s-video, it is going into the onboard tv tuner chip. On my MSI card it uses a silicon based tuner rather than whatever the others use, the 8XXX chip, Conexant whatever.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I actually am using the composite yellow in my tuner!

what i got going is my dish going to my vcr than my vcr 2 my pc.

and i actually do save my clips as mpg. but a 1/2 hour show still comes out to be like 700 mgs. and to make a vcd with a couple of shows is quite hard wit a size like that!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The reason it works in Europe and not the Americas (north or south) is because the signals are different.

The European signals are pure DVB or DVB-II. The ones in the Americas are DSS or DVB-variants. Software or receiver hardware would need to be embedded in your system. It is probably possible, but given the lack of cooperation by DISH and DirecTV, it has not happened.

The theft devices never worked. Not the DISH or DirecTV ones. They can only decode the signal and strip out datastream info. The receiver is still needed to assemble the video, even under emulation. Let's just call it complex, illegal, and a flop.

Some older DISH PVR units could grab the video, and you could hack the info on your computer after extracting the PVR hard drive. Probably only possible with DISH because they operate a DVB variant. Again, not something that worked flawlessly or easily. I've only heard about this from a few people.

You need to capture the signal on a good card. I have an RG6 going from the back of my DirecTV receiver into my computer. The composite/RCA goes into my VCR, which feeds into the TV. You can rig it up in any numbers of combinations. Just use good wires.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote