VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm recording gameplay videos (with A LOT of motion) with the UT Video codec.
    Here are the available settings:

After some research with Google I'm still not sure which option is the best.
    Here is what I want to do: Record gameplay with UT Video codec -> Import to Premiere Pro, edit it and export it (H.264) -> Upload it on Youtube.
    I wonder what the difference between "UtVideo T2" and just "UtVideo" is and what of those options I should choose (601/709, YUV420/422/444)

I'm recording at 1080p 60FPS and scale it to 2560x1440 in Premiere. I don't care about filesize, all I want is best quality.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. The "T2" variants are "type 2". Basically they are optimized faster for encoding/decoding speed especially for single threaded workloads, but worse on compression

You can read the author's blog for details, use google translate
    http://umezawa.dyndns.info/wordpress/?p=6762

"Best quality" for gameplay will be RGB. But it will not make a difference in youtube, the end result will be subsampled anyways (4:2:0) - loss of color resolution
    Quote Quote  
  3. So I can choose 420 right away.

What about 601/709? Will it make a difference for my scenario?
    Quote Quote  
  4. 601/709 deal with the colors, how RGB is converted to YUV . The color will be slightly off if the matrix somewhere was wrong

For HD, 709 is supposed to be used by convention; and 601 for SD. In a perfect world, that would work.

BUT there can be mixups with each conversion because there are multiple conversions. When you import into PP, UT video is actually not handled as YUV so it gets converted to RGB. It might do it incorrectly (sometimes 601 is used sometime 709, sometimes something else). The handling has changed over the years and with some versions. I don't know what it is currently.

When you export, likely you will be using AVC 4:2:0 YUV so again, RGB => YUV conversion. How that occurs can shift the colors again

Finally , depending on the browser (e.g. chrome handles slightly differetnly than FF), if HTML vs. Flash, or HW on or off, the colors can be different when viewed on youtube . There is a conversion back to RGB for viewing. You have less control over those issues.

RGB is never mixed up. So if you import that in and out of programs, that will ensure proper colors. But it' s not used in youtube (youtube will convert to YUV420). But RGB compression is much worse than YUV . YUV444 is unsubsampled (full color, but technically there is some quality loss and rounding errors when you convert RGB=> YUV at 8 bit depth). You'll never get the original back exactly.

You have to decide where you want to make trade offs
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 24th Apr 2018 at 14:33.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by yosuke30 View Post
    I'm recording gameplay videos (with A LOT of motion) with the UT Video codec.

What do you use to capture video?
    Quote Quote