VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I’ve recently noticed when viewing my subtitles that some last names were broken/split when they shouldn’t have been. Davidson became David son, Fleetwood became Fleet wood, etc. I don’t remember that ever happening before and I have used SE for years. It does split words that should be split. Since I spell check my subtitles through MS Word anyway I really didn’t need SE to do that for me. Besides, it’s a word split function and not a spell check routine. So I went looking on how to stop it.

I found it under Options > Settings > Tools > Use word split list (OCR + FCE). Uncheck the box and it goes away.

I don’t know when this function was added but I was caught off guard when I saw these last names being split. I’m not complaining. I can see where some might find a word split useful. When I check for common errors I always click on the column header “Function” so as to group by error type. The split words show up under “Fix common OCR errors (using OCR replace list)”. One can always uncheck the “Apply” box to prevent the split from happening. I choose to use MS Word.
    Quote Quote  
  2. locotus
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot, I wasn't aware of this.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Easier way to is just have when using fix common errors is to have 'fix common ocr errors(using ocr list)' unchecked from the list of commands in subtitleedit.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, checking "Use word split list" causes rather unwanted behaviour. I've disabled it. Anybody knows where that list is and/or how to edit? Only thing I found is a eng_WordSplitList.txt in the dictionaries folder. But that doesn't seem to be it.

Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Easier way to is just have when using fix common errors is to have 'fix common ocr errors(using ocr list)' unchecked from the list of commands in subtitleedit.
    I only see "Fix common OCR errors (using OCR replace list)" in the list. Which enables the OCR replace list even when the above is unchecked.
    Quote Quote