VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, just wondering if anyone knows why my Toshiba Satellite laptop (Windows 8.1) when plugged in doesn't seem to charge even though the charger indicator on the taskbar shows it is full charged and is connected, but when I disconnect the cable it immediately loses power, and after rebooting nothing is saved and it just powers up as if nothing has been abruptly shut down, which makes me think that no power is charging the laptop battery up from the mains. I noticed the DC cable was snagged in the middle exposing abit of wire which patched up with some protective tape, but I've since replaced it with another cable, but that doesn't make any difference. Just a slight movement of the wire cab can make it lose power. I never had this problem with my other laptop. Could be just a dying/dead battery. The battery on this laptop isn't the regular one that you can detach, no idea where it is located.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by techmot View Post
    Hi, just wondering if anyone knows why my Toshiba Satellite laptop (Windows 8.1) when plugged in doesn't seem to charge even though the charger indicator on the taskbar shows it is full charged and is connected, but when I disconnect the cable it immediately loses power, and after rebooting nothing is saved and it just powers up as if nothing has been abruptly shut down, which makes me think that no power is charging the laptop battery up from the mains. I noticed the DC cable was snagged in the middle exposing abit of wire which patched up with some protective tape, but I've since replaced it with another cable, but that doesn't make any difference. Just a slight movement of the wire cab can make it lose power. I never had this problem with my other laptop. Could be just a dying/dead battery. The battery on this laptop isn't the regular one that you can detach, no idea where it is located.
    see this youtube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RSSQRflPi0
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Hi, just wondering if anyone knows why my Toshiba Satellite laptop (Windows 8.1) when plugged in doesn't seem to charge even though the charger indicator on the taskbar shows it is full charged and is connected, but when I disconnect the cable it immediately loses power, and after rebooting nothing is saved and it just powers up as if nothing has been abruptly shut down, which makes me think that no power is charging the laptop battery up from the mains. I noticed the DC cable was snagged in the middle exposing abit of wire which patched up with some protective tape, but I've since replaced it with another cable, but that doesn't make any difference. Just a slight movement of the wire cab can make it lose power. I never had this problem with my other laptop. Could be just a dying/dead battery. The battery on this laptop isn't the regular one that you can detach, no idea where it is located.
    see this youtube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RSSQRflPi0
    Thanks for that. I think it's more likely the battery has died, which isn't surprising considering my laptop is hardly ever off and always running (and not good when I don't put it on sleep mode as I always capturing videos most of the time). No idea why the battery indicator on the taskbar show it fully charged, yet the power goes off after unplugging the lead, so could be the power supply also.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, OP. How's your laptop? Did you fix it? If not, try this guide. Maybe it will help you.
    Last edited by Alsoar; 29th Mar 2022 at 03:59.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Alsoar View Post
    Hey, OP. How's your laptop? Did you fix it? If not, try this guide. Maybe it will help you.
    I didn't managed to fix the problem. I used a cable from an old CD player because one half of the laptops AC wire was damaged, which is why I assumed no power was coming from the mains to the battery due to the cable fault. I have it plugged in with the different cable, but often when you move the wire ever so slightly it the power will go off immediately and the laptop shuts off, and when rebooted nothing is saved, ie, Windows just starts up as if nothing happened. A couple of times (including just a few minutes ago), for some reason the laptop lost power, even though the power cable wasn't moved at all.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    charger indicator on the taskbar shows it is full charged
    Battery power is all the same whether it's a car or a laptop. The issue is voltage and amperage, you can have a battery that shows full voltage, as evidenced by your laptop, however it has no amperage.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    charger indicator on the taskbar shows it is full charged
    Battery power is all the same whether it's a car or a laptop. The issue is voltage and amperage, you can have a battery that shows full voltage, as evidenced by your laptop, however it has no amperage.
    I have a feeling that it's the laptops power supply adaptor/charger that's causing the problem, because whenever there's a slight movement of the wire (either the wire to the mains or the wire to the laptop) the power goes off. Sometimes though it will lose power even when the wire hasn't been moved, so I'm abit baffled as to what's causing it. I noticed though that even when it isn't plugged into the mains when I try to press the ON button it flashes and lights up for a second, which is abit strange if the battery is supposed to be dead, unless there's a very small amount of power left in it. I think the wire has gone like that because it's probably been cut somewhere, possibly through excessive twisting and bending when I've been wrapping it when not in use to put in a carry bag.

I'm guessing I should buy a replacement power cable? is so would I need to buy a genuine Toshiba one?.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm pretty sure if you remove the battery it'll work, my bro had a similar problem on a HP few years ago. Dead battery i say, and like it's dead and not removed the laptop shut off to prevent damages
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you remove the battery it'll work, my bro had a similar problem on a HP few years ago. Dead battery i say, and like it's dead and not removed the laptop shut off to prevent damages
    I bought a replacement adaptor/charger a few days ago, so if you're right then I'm wasting my time using it if the laptop will shut down if the battery is dead regardless if the power cable is damaged?. As for the batteries, how do I change the battery as it's inside the laptop and not a detachable lithium battery attached underneath the laptop. I'm assuming I would need to open the thing up?.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you remove the battery it'll work, my bro had a similar problem on a HP few years ago. Dead battery i say, and like it's dead and not removed the laptop shut off to prevent damages
    I bought a replacement adaptor/charger a few days ago, so if you're right then I'm wasting my time using it if the laptop will shut down if the battery is dead regardless if the power cable is damaged?. As for the batteries, how do I change the battery as it's inside the laptop and not a detachable lithium battery attached underneath the laptop. I'm assuming I would need to open the thing up?.
    If your laptop's shell needs to be opened up to get to the battery, maybe there is a YouTube video for your model or a service manual for it available from Toshiba's website so you can decide whether you can do it yourself or need to have it professionally serviced.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    If your laptop's shell needs to be opened up to get to the battery, maybe there is a YouTube video for your model or a service manual for it available from Toshiba's website so you can decide whether you can do it yourself or need to have it professionally serviced.

Hard to understand why the battery has died considering it is only 5 years old, and that this never happened on my other older laptop. I'm assuming as suggested above that removing the battery will solve the issue, even if I don't replace it?. I've looked at a video showing how to open it up, not too hard I suppose as long as I'm not clumsy enough to break something. Weird that whenever the supposedly (in my view) faulty mains adaptor is moved slightly it shuts down, but this may not be down to a faulty cable but laptop reacting to the dead battery.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Toshiba, 'nuff said. You are throwing good money after bad.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    I only realised that the battery on this particular Toshiba satellite model is on the back of the laptop behind the screenlid. I didn't know this has it didn't look like the battery that's on my other laptop. I was about to open the underside of the laptop up and read the manual and it illustrated it was on the back, but you still had to unscrew the screws to release it unlike the one on my other laptop which is easily detached. I detached the battery and plugged in the power supply to the laptop but there is still no power, so it can't be down to a dead battery, unless there was something else I needed to do. I can only hope when the replacement charger/adaptor arrives that this will fix the problem as that seemed to be what I assumed was the cable causing the power to shut down when the wire moved, possibly a cut or broken wire. If that doesn't work then I don't know what's gone wrong, maybe it has overheated or something else has died or been broken.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For longer battery life, it's not advisable to constantly charge. Use until 15-20%, then charge.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    For longer battery life, it's not advisable to constantly charge. Use until 15-20%, then charge.
    I've always let the battery go right down when using only the battery, but most of the time I have it plugged into the mains because I often leave the laptop running like capturing videos for long periods whilst I'm away from the laptop. Since I have detached the battery and it still won't switch on, I can't see how it can be the battery. My initial feeling is that the power cable/charger has a fault or some other fault.
    Quote Quote