VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if this was a bad capture or not. This is a 15 second clip, VHS-C (about 18 years old) to AVI YUY2, what would you do? what would your workflow be?

https://files.videohelp.com/u/84671/tape%201_edit.avi

Thanks in advance for your response(s).
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  2. The capture format as such seems to be ok, but the capture is poor: plenty of dropped frames, comets, field parity swap, loss of frame sync .....
    How did you capture it? What was your HW/SW setup? If you still have the tape you should capture it again using some form of TBC as a minimum rather than trying to fix the current capture.
    Last edited by Sharc; 1st Jan 2022 at 17:38.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't have access to a better playback deck (S-VHS) and I don't own a TBC or a deck with one. This was a GoVideo dual deck playback deck composite only, a real USB EZap, Vdub2 capture. I too thought the capture itself was pretty terrible. I'm going to have to go to eBay I guess and try to find a proper playback S-VHS deck. The capture computer is an i5-8400 with 32 gb of ram running Win 11, computer speed is not an issue. Back to the drawing board...
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    I didn't have access to a better playback deck (S-VHS) and I don't own a TBC or a deck with one.....
    A DVD recorder (ES-10, ES-15, perhaps EH20, EH50) in passthrough mode may also help. There are a lot of threads/post about recommended models and setup.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do have a Sony RDR-GX257 DVD Deck, I would just need a good VHS playback deck I guess?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Too many drops in a row. One drop you can fix. Two drops, sometimes. More than that, no way.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree John, the capture is a mess!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Atached, spotless + despot:
    Code:
    # Deinterlacing using QTGMC
    clip = havsfunc.QTGMC(Input=clip, Preset="Fast", TFF=True) # new fps: 29.97
    # make sure content is preceived as frame based
    clip = core.std.SetFieldBased(clip, 0)
    clip = clip[::2]
    clip = lostfunc.DeSpot(o=clip)
    clip = SpotLess.SpotLess(clip=clip, radT=2)
    Cu Selur
    Image Attached Files
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    I do have a Sony RDR-GX257 DVD Deck, I would just need a good VHS playback deck I guess?
    I have no idea if and how the SONY would work in passthrough mode. But you may want to try and connect the VHS player composite output to the composite video in (at the rear side of the SONY, LINE1 IN) and the video out (LINE OUT) of the SONY to your capture device. Still no S-video but it may nevertheless stabilize the picture (less dropped frames) and give some improvement, depending on how the SONY processes the signal.
    Last edited by Sharc; 2nd Jan 2022 at 02:35.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Atached, spotless + despot
    Well done, Selur!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wonderful result Selur! Thank you very much!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm getting a syntax error on line 5 of the script. I feel pretty stupid. What do I need to do to get "clip.avi" processed?
    Quote Quote  
  13. What I posted was just a part of the Vapoursynth script I used.
    Since you didn't share your script, didn't post the exact error and wrote nothing about your setup there isn't really a thing to say,...
    Not sure whether it helps, but here's the whole script I used:
    Code:
    # Imports
    import os
    import sys
    import ctypes
    # Loading Support Files
    Dllref = ctypes.windll.LoadLibrary("I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/libfftw3f-3.dll")
    import vapoursynth as vs
    # getting Vapoursynth core
    core = vs.core
    # Import scripts folder
    scriptPath = 'I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsscripts'
    sys.path.insert(0, os.path.abspath(scriptPath))
    # Loading Plugins
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/libtemporalmedian.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/GrainFilter/RemoveGrain/RemoveGrainVS.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/GrainFilter/AddGrain/AddGrain.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/DenoiseFilter/NEO_FFT3DFilter/neo-fft3d.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/DenoiseFilter/DFTTest/DFTTest.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/EEDI3m.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/ResizeFilter/nnedi3/vsznedi3.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/libmvtools.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/temporalsoften.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/scenechange.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/fmtconv.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/MiscFilter/MiscFilters/MiscFilters.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="I:/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/SourceFilter/FFMS2/ffms2.dll")
    # Import scripts
    import SpotLess
    import lostfunc
    import havsfunc
    # source: 'E:\clips\tape 1_edit.avi'
    # current color space: YUV422P8, bit depth: 8, resolution: 720x480, fps: 29.97, color matrix: 470bg, yuv luminance scale: limited, scanorder: top field first
    # Loading source using FFMS2
    clip = core.ffms2.Source(source="E:/clips/tape 1_edit.avi",cachefile="E:/Temp/avi_6fc950f08ec42f12dbe4aa07c3485b05_853323747.ffindex",format=vs.YUV422P8,alpha=False)
    # making sure input color matrix is set as 470bg
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip, matrix_in_s="470bg",range_s="limited")
    # making sure frame rate is set to 29.970
    clip = core.std.AssumeFPS(clip=clip, fpsnum=30000, fpsden=1001)
    # Setting color range to TV (limited) range.
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip=clip, prop="_ColorRange", intval=1)
    # setting field order to what QTGMC should assume (top field first)
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip=clip, prop="_FieldBased", intval=2)
    # Deinterlacing using QTGMC
    clip = havsfunc.QTGMC(Input=clip, Preset="Fast", TFF=True) # new fps: 29.97
    # make sure content is preceived as frame based
    clip = core.std.SetFieldBased(clip, 0)
    clip = clip[::2]
    clip = SpotLess.SpotLess(clip=clip, radT=2)
    # adjusting output color from: YUV422P8 to YUV420P10 for x265Model
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV420P10, range_s="limited")
    # set output frame rate to 29.970fps
    clip = core.std.AssumeFPS(clip=clip, fpsnum=30000, fpsden=1001)
    # Output
    clip.set_output()
    Note that since QTGMC, DeSpot and SpotLess can also be used in Avisynth.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Selur, once again, you've really helped me. I've got it working now and my sample came out great. Thank you sir!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Nice fix of the comets and frame sync issues, definitely yes. But if you want fluent movement without dropped frames to avoid jerky playback, and if you care about "lost legs" of the horse on some of the fixed frames you may still want to reconsider a fresh capture.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yup, a fresh recapture is the fest way to go.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, a fresh recapture with Sharc's suggestions is mandatory to mitigate the problems, then use scripts to restore.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I concur about the capture, I've got to find a NTSC S-VHS deck, these videos aren't worth breaking the bank for a super expensive playback deck.
    Quote Quote