VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    How long has this been going on ?

And here at least, it seems to always be for the same annoying kiddie-crap, regardless of what movie or show is being watched. I suppose this is better than in some other cases, in that it is less frequent, and only between items you are viewing, rather than interrupting something.

But still, I think commercials should not be happening on anything you pay a subscription to access. Hate 'em in cinemas too . . . but then the things that manage to entice me into theaters continue to diminish in number, over time.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only commercials I've seen on Prime content is their preview of other shows before your selection starts.
    Is this what you 're talking about ?

If it's commercials for other products throughout the show, you may be playing a non-prime video, possibly belonging to
    the IMDB freedive - these do have commercials
    Last edited by davexnet; 30th Dec 2019 at 17:06.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    But still, I think commercials should not be happening on anything you pay a subscription to access.
    No cable television for you.

Netflix began doing it and Amazon Prime soon followed suit. Me, I don't mind. I like learning what's new and available. It's only a short trailer before you get to what you really want to see.

I've never watched any of the real ad-driven movies on FreeDive. And don't intend to.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I like learning what's new and available.
    Not after I've already decided what I'm going to watch -- ie, after I've already pressed Play. Previews in this context are ads for other shows. And it's only a small step from there to ads for other stuff.

I also don't like the automatic video previews as your browsing through titles. If I want to see a video preview I can select it manually. What a forking waste of bandwidth.
    Last edited by jagabo; 31st Dec 2019 at 09:08.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    How long has this been going on ?

And here at least, it seems to always be for the same annoying kiddie-crap, regardless of what movie or show is being watched. I suppose this is better than in some other cases, in that it is less frequent, and only between items you are viewing, rather than interrupting something.

But still, I think commercials should not be happening on anything you pay a subscription to access. Hate 'em in cinemas too . . . but then the things that manage to entice me into theaters continue to diminish in number, over time.

see this here - https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/digital-content/prime-video/504795-commercials-in-a...n-prime-movies
    Quote Quote  
  6. I did not watch the whole long movies lately on Amazon Prime Video, only some shorter TV episodes, like latest sci-fi The Expanse and they put short advertisement at the beginning of the show. That advertisement (mostly some other movies) could be skipped, but it is kind of messy, the whole setup, because usually at the begging of the TV series you can also skip that particular shows intro if you watch it in a row. So there were mistakes and I skipped one time to other episode or something. Their solution is not much clean to do it that way.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Netflix began doing it and Amazon Prime soon followed suit. Me, I don't mind. I like learning what's new and available. It's only a short trailer before you get to what you really want to see.
    I don't see ads on my Netflix account, The problem I'm having is when I sleep over a movie and want to watch it again I can't find it, Netflix will remove it from the suggestion screen, I have to go on my computer to my account and pull up the history to find it, Wish they have a history tab on the smart TV's app.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I don't see ads on my Netflix account...
    Maybe not where you live, maybe they changed their minds, maybe you're lucky:

https://www.tvguide.com/news/netflix-commercials/

Maybe Amazon Prime is better regarding losing what you don't want to lose. When I finish a movie or series it goes to the end of the watch list and I have to go and purposely remove it.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I was not referring to trailers for other shows on offer. It looked like it was an ad for some sort of themed dolls for young girls. (?) I'm not sure. Couldn't ffwd. past it, so I just muted the sound and diverted my attention elsewhere for a moment, until it was over.

Will take a look at your links.

One thing I can say is that the app / service gateways on various streaming boxes are different from each other -- also in part a function of their age -- which can vary the user experience. For example, the NF app on my WD Live TV boxes (at this point ~ 7 years off of the market) still basically function, but lack many of the current features. The MLB app on those boxes is just dead, and likely some of the other ones too. The Netflix gateway on my Skystream One & Two boxes seems to be frozen and non-functional: you see some thumbnails but can't navigate anywhere. The Amazon Prime gateway is different on my Amazon Fire TV, vs. on the Roku or Nvidia Shield. So I'm not yet able to say whether a given result occurs across them.

Another something weird: I was watching a multi-season show on Amazon Prime on the Nvidia. The legend for it at Amazon claimed that all seasons were represented and free to view there, for Amazon subscribers. But when I got to the final episode of Season 2, it would not play, instead telling me that I must purchase a subscription to CBS All Access if I wanted to continue. WTF ?! You know what -- I'd much rather pull them in from bootleg sources than acquiesce to that. Why tell us the series is all available, but then do that ? In this case, I found that the NF streaming contracts for the remainder of the series don't seem to have expired yet, so I just continued on over there -- still at 1080P, apparently.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote