VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. I'm trying to add .ass subtitles to .mkv file, but whenever I use MKVMerge on win10 (tried version 48.0.0, 9.5.0 and 30.something) it adds a newline:
    Code:
    [Events]
    Format: Layer, Start, End, Style, Name, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Effect, Text
                <=========
    Dialogue:
    Is there a way to prevent this, or any other tool that can be used that does not do this?
    And yes, i know that the newline is not important for others, but it is crucial for me.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Since I'm sure that mkvmerge does not change the original subtitle file, my guess is that this happens on extraction.
    I guess you extracted the subtitles using mkvextract and then looked at them. (you didn't write anything about how you came to the conclusion that a newline was added so I guessed)
    -> you probably have to complain to Mosu the mkvtoolnix author about this over at https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/issues.

In case you did something else to check those subtitles once they were muxed into the container you might want to give some details about it,...

---
    I just tested this and I can confirm that mkvextract does change the .ass on extraction (mkvmerge does not add the newline), when using ffmpeg for the extraction:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i "Path to input mkv" -f ass "Path to output .ass"
    the file did not have the additional newline.

-> if it's really crucial to you, report the issue to Mosu and use ffmpeg for the extraction until Mosu fixes it, or forever in case he decides not to.

Cu Selur
    Last edited by Selur; 5th Jul 2020 at 02:37.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote