VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how to i display srt & sub subtitle files on media player classic??

yes i have tried the following but it doesnt work:

View-options-playback-output-'Check'-VMR7 (renderless)**

I then right clicked on the main video screen, went to subtitles - it is GREYED OUT. WHAT DO I DO?? Please help

and also how do i take snapshot image of the video? in all formats e.g. jpg bmp gif etc..???

Please answer the above two questions as soon as possible. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    make sure the sub name is the same as the video name
    ex:
    video.avi
    video.srt
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ricardouk
    make sure the sub name is the same as the video name
    ex:
    video.avi
    video.srt
    i tried that before, it still does not work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Can you open the SRT subtitles in an editor and see them? If they are not readable, the problem is that your computer does not support the character set that they use.

Your emergency is not our problem. Nobody gets paid to answer your questions. Asking us to answer your questions as soon as possible is not only a bit rude, it may actually make people not want to help you. Other people have problems too and want help and they don't ask us to answer them as soon as possible.

Some programs that can play videos have an option to take a screenshot. I know that older versions of PowerDVD can do this. VLC might also be able to do this. I don't know about MPC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Can you open the SRT subtitles in an editor and see them? If they are not readable, the problem is that your computer does not support the character set that they use.

Your emergency is not our problem. Nobody gets paid to answer your questions. Asking us to answer your questions as soon as possible is not only a bit rude, it may actually make people not want to help you. Other people have problems too and want help and they don't ask us to answer them as soon as possible.

Some programs that can play videos have an option to take a screenshot. I know that older versions of PowerDVD can do this. VLC might also be able to do this. I don't know about MPC.
    Firstly thank you for answering my question, yes i have edited the srt and sub files in Notepad and i have used VLC Media Player before, that is the reason why i want to use media player classic instead - if i cannot get srt subtitles to work or take snapshots, then ill have to go back to using vlc media player.

The reason why i dont want to use vlc media player is because it uses a lot of memory, and i cant seem to use the old version, when i install an older version i get an error message.This has just started to happen last week. anyway, i apologise for being rude, and yes i shouldnt have said as soon as possible, i didnt think id get any reply thats why.

Anyway, thanks for your message, i think im gonna stick to vlc media player anyway. i think its the only easiest multimedia player out there to use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have DirectVobSub/vsfilter installed?

For taking snapshots in Media Player Classic/MPC-HC, go to File > Save Image... (or hit Alt+I). You'll have the option to decide whether you want the snapshot in BMP, JPEG or PNG format when the Save As box pops up (use the Save as type: dropdown).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    Do you have DirectVobSub/vsfilter installed?

For taking snapshots in Media Player Classic/MPC-HC, go to File > Save Image... (or hit Alt+I). You'll have the option to decide whether you want the snapshot in BMP, JPEG or PNG format when the Save As box pops up (use the Save as type: dropdown).
    thank you for that it worked, i still cant get the subtitles to work.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Try the subs with VLC. If they work, then your problem is specific to MPC. If they don't work, the problem is specific to the subs. Are they in a foreign language by any chance? If so, what language? If they are not in a Western European language that uses the Latin alphabet, what character set are they in? You may not know the character set, but if you do it can be helpful to mention that.

How did you get the subtitles file? Did you create it yourself or download it from somewhere? Is there any chance that it was created on a non-Windows (ie. Mac or Linux) system? I've seen weird problems on DVD players with SRT files when the SRT file was edited on Linux. The because the end of line character is different between Linux and Windows.

Unicode can be a problem with some programs, but I think that Unicode subs should work OK. Not sure, but I think so.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Try the subs with VLC. If they work, then your problem is specific to MPC. If they don't work, the problem is specific to the subs. Are they in a foreign language by any chance? If so, what language? If they are not in a Western European language that uses the Latin alphabet, what character set are they in? You may not know the character set, but if you do it can be helpful to mention that.

How did you get the subtitles file? Did you create it yourself or download it from somewhere? Is there any chance that it was created on a non-Windows (ie. Mac or Linux) system? I've seen weird problems on DVD players with SRT files when the SRT file was edited on Linux. The because the end of line character is different between Linux and Windows.

Unicode can be a problem with some programs, but I think that Unicode subs should work OK. Not sure, but I think so.
    Yeah they work well on VLC Media Player, im not new to using digital subtitles by the way, ive used .SUB .SSA & .SRT files with .avi files playing on vlc media player. I downloaded the srt/sub files from divx subtitles websites like:

opensubtitles.com

anysubs.com

And the language is always english. And yes your right, the problem is with MPC, but i dont know what it is. Another user here on this forum had the same problem as me, he used a software tool called VobSub or something, i tried that but still didnt work. Anyway im using Windows XP. Thanks for your reply.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Have your run both MPC and MPCHC? They both use the same registry key for subtitle settings but the values are incompatible. After running MPCHC the location, colors, etc of the subtitles are wrong in MPC and they may be rendered completely outside the window (so you don't see them). Try deleting \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Gabest\Media Player Classic\Settings\SPDefaultStyle in the Registry. MPC will reset the defaults when started.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Have your run both MPC and MPCHC? They both use the same registry key for subtitle settings but the values are incompatible. After running MPCHC the location, colors, etc of the subtitles are wrong in MPC and they may be rendered completely outside the window (so you don't see them). Try deleting \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Gabest\Media Player Classic\Settings\SPDefaultStyle in the Registry. MPC will reset the defaults when started.
    I tried that, it didnt work.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    if subtitle is lit. you right click on video playing to see menu. then click subitle track. if it already sees one. then click enable and select language you want.
    [Attachment 53878 - Click to enlarge]

If its greyed out. then click File then subtitles. if you have the subtitle file already. then you can load it or you can have MPC do a subtitle search. then pick the one you want and it downloads it. it will use it upon playback.
    [Attachment 53883 - Click to enlarge]

to have MPC auto look up subtitles of your choice. you have to check off the unchecked ones for the databases to look up from.

[Attachment 53880 - Click to enlarge]

and then you can setup MPC to auto load subtitles of your choice by adding .;.\subtitles;.\subs\en to the autoload paths. this is telling MPC to autoload english subtitles on every video played. replace en with your language choice by using 2 letter abbreviation of language choice
    [Attachment 53881 - Click to enlarge]

right click on playing video then clcik subtitle track then options then clcik on default style to change the font, size and placement also color
    [Attachment 53882 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by locoeskimo; 21st Jun 2020 at 03:57.
    Quote Quote