VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to allow people to play a video from my web site but not download It?
    Is there a way to code so that when someone one tries to download it, it distorts or implodes or something?
    It has a watermark, but those can be removed, right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If someone can watch it, someone can take it.
    The End.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
    Is there a way to allow people to play a video from my web site but not download It?
    Is there a way to code so that when someone one tries to download it, it distorts or implodes or something?
    It has a watermark, but those can be removed, right?
    Realistically, no. Paid streaming services like Netflix or Amazon encrypt their videos, but that costs big bucks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Realistically, no. Paid streaming services like Netflix or Amazon encrypt their videos, but that costs big bucks.
    And they can still be recorded with a screen recorder or external recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The thread title is the exact opposite of what chrisj asked in the actual first post. Might want to fix that, chrisj.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If the video has a watermark encoded in then it's very hard to remove without leaving a smear in the spot,best to go with that.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    If the video has a watermark encoded in then it's very hard to remove without leaving a smear in the spot,best to go with that.
    I tend to agree. Since nothing can prevent determined people from copying a video, the OP may as well use an inexpensive method that merely discourages copying. Opaque watermarks are the most difficult to remove. Attempting to remove those leaves an ugly smear, although completely covering them with a different graphic is still possible.
    Quote Quote