VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Image
    [Attachment 66616 - Click to enlarge]
    P1051181.JPG

Ok I may have rattled on a bit before about this setup Panasonic HC-x1500 with Vw-hu1 handle and Azden SMX-30V microphone but I have come across one drawback and trying ro resolve at the moment. The microphone is a brilliant bit of kit but oh so so sensative to the slightest thing. When walking with it I kept getting a "knocking" which drove me mad so done a bit of investigation.

turns out it was the audio cable touching any part of the setup even the camcorder body. So in the photo above I have taped up the coiled audio cable for the time being. Also swapped over to a right angle plug as a straight one hit the handle top., Trying to find a 20cm 3pole right angle audio lead are as rare as hens teeth but i did eventually find more or less what I was after even though one end was straight.

Plenty of longer ones but that would have caused the same issue so 20cm should be just about right although in red
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sounds like you need a proper shock-mount, as well as rubberized bindings for your cable. Doesn't help that your mike is right on your camcorder, but off-axis, either. Have you considered a Dual-System setup?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. thank you for your imput. First of all I will wait until the new audio cable arrives. found this on the internet which I think is the answer,

[Attachment 66621 - Click to enlarge]

right length and very hard to find with one end at right angles and the other straight. the straight end plugged into the camcorder should hold the cable away from touching anyting else ,I hope. pity about the colour but there you go
    Last edited by realspeed; 6th Sep 2022 at 05:52.
    Quote Quote  
  4. well it has arrived and keeps well away from the camcorder and mic . I have been messing about with the audio and just could not at first find a "rubbing?" sound while walking with the Panasonic HC-X1500 with handle. Eventually The "deadcat" that goes over this foam wind cheater actually was rubbing on the suspension bars or the microphone, So as the foam is not as thick as i would like I have cut a bit of foam I had lying about and wrapped it around the stereo top part on the microphone under that in above photo. Not windy enough to try out but must be better than nothing

[Attachment 66644 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by realspeed; 7th Sep 2022 at 13:02.
    Quote Quote  
  5. just ordered a Panasonic VW-VMS10E-K stereo microphone. Why you may well ask. I wanted one thet is a bit lighter and still does stereo. I needed to be a shotgun type so I can use the holder that came with the handle
    [Attachment 66698 - Click to enlarge]

nothing wrong with the Azden it is a fantastic microphone, the only reason for change is it makes the camcorder front heavy, no matter what i tried in moving it back caused other issue such as switch operation.Hopefully this new one not only being lighter is set further back so worth a try.
    So the Azden will sit on my DSLR for the time being
    Quote Quote  
  6. update
    That panasonic microphone erm stereo? further tests it seems the stereo is not that bad. Just ordered a gutmann deadcat for it because it has longer wind protect hair on it
    Last edited by realspeed; 2nd Oct 2022 at 05:02.
    Quote Quote