VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Was the black screen thing a forum hack or did the mods do it?

2. Did you read what it said?

3. Yes, I read the link info and it does seem to be from that group that threatened to blackout blogs today. But this is not a blog, it is a forum.

4. It's the RIAA and the MPAA with the help of their paid Congressmen in the USA government that are threatening to block internet sites. Many web sites are protesting today. Try reading some news: http://arstechnica.com/
    Last edited by jagabo; 18th Jan 2012 at 13:47.

Search Comp PM
    More info ....

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/open-ready-to-take-on-sopa-in-congress-2012-01-18?sit...dist=bigcharts

from the link

OPEN ready to take on SOPA in Congress

Piracy legislation opponents ready alternative amid web protests

The Motion Picture Association of America, headed by former Sen. Christopher Dodd, a Democrat who represented Connecticut, is a key backer of the SOPA legislation. Piracy of movies and music has been a longtime complaint from the film and recording industries, who say they lose billions of dollars from copying of their work.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What a laughable bunch! Vote on this legislation but postpone a vote on the $14 Trillion debt? This is a credible congress right?

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Getting that black screen, over and over again, only convinces me that protesters are just as annoying as politicians.

8. I still don't have an answer to my question in first post.

9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I did it.

I'm thinking of moving the site to netherlands.

What kind of download speed do you from US get from http://mirror.leaseweb.net/speedtest/100mb.bin (100 MB test file)?

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got ~ 384KB /sec

11. Looks like I'm averaging about 75 KB/sec.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books

12. Originally Posted by oldfart13 View Post
    What a laughable bunch! Vote on this legislation but postpone a vote on the $14 Trillion debt? This is a credible congress right?
    They're getting paid to vote for PIPA/SOPA. And they need the money for the election campaigns.

Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    What kind of download speed do you from US get from http://mirror.leaseweb.net/speedtest/100mb.bin (100 MB test file)?
    It varied a lot. Mostly between about 250 and 350 KB/sec. according to FireFox's download monitor. A little over 5 minutes to download the entire file.
    Last edited by jagabo; 18th Jan 2012 at 18:54.

13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Test also http://speedtest.hou02.softlayer.com/downloads/test100.zip ( our current network). So you can compare against leaseweb.

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got 1MB /sec

15. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Test also http://speedtest.hou02.softlayer.com/downloads/test100.zip ( our current network). So you can compare against leaseweb.
    It started out at 1.2 MB/s but soon sank to about 550 KB/s, 2.5 minutes.

16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not that bad. I have to upgrade server anyway. The two main servers are getting very old...8 year old CPUs...

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got 915 kbs on the first test link, and 615 kbs on second test link
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly

18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i got 600 kb/s and 850 kb/s and for the record i was glad to see this site join the protest, i personally contacted nj's members of congress via email to urge them to vote against SOPA and PIPA.

Search Comp PM
    D/L took 14minutes each file...on DSL 1MB/s over here.....i get 115 to 123 kbs actual speeds,
    the zip d/l'ed at 120+ mostly while the bin file between 115-120 kbs

the above has always been tipicle for me, though i think those with much faster connections are mostly affected with noticable variances.

20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Around 2.4Mbit/sec for both files - which is close to my connection's limit.

21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    I still don't have an answer to my question in first post.
    Not the shiniest penny in the roll eh.....

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by oldfart13 View Post
    They're getting paid to vote for PIPA/SOPA. And they need the money for the election campaigns.
    Yep....

I said it a couple/few years ago, If they get away with $h!t like this, the next thing they are going to try and do is outlaw dvd rentals!!!!

Imagine how much $$$ they are losing when millions of people are renting dvd's for a dollar or two instead of paying $20.00 each to watch a movie by having to buy it

How can we limit or block people from reading and acquiring knowledge ?!?!?!

I wiped my @$$ today, i need to pay a tax for the privilege!!!

Search Comp PM
    Congressional backers of SOPA bill (and some Senate on their PIPA bill) are bailing after the light of public disclosure.

I think the hero is Wikipedia that went completely (almost) black for a day*.

I haven't yet sorted out all the issues but the protest points sound relevant. You can't require a web site to police user comment under threat of blockage. I tend to support Rep Issa who says a court should require proof before a web site is banned and a period of notice to comply.

Read the Pro-Con and make your opinion.

PS: On third thought, ban any lawyer fees to fight the court battle. All must argue pro bono. No remedy.

* Only because the site accepts no advertising.
    Last edited by edDV; 18th Jan 2012 at 22:50.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about

23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    85 KB/sec with a 4 mbps connection
    double of most file hosting sites, if you are not paying
    Only youtube gives me almost rated speed, with some HD clips

I am in India

24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Congressional backers of SOPA bill (and some Senate on their PIPA bill) are bailing after the light of public disclosure.
    Any links ?
    I have not seen anything yet but it would not surprise me as they are all pretty much only concerned with self preservation!!

I think the hero is Wikipedia that went completely (almost) black for a day.
    When i got up this morning i noticed right away thet every thread i opened on Vhelp went to that black page about the new bill, and i was like oh yeah!!!
    I have not heard anything about it for awhile, why is today so special that every site is protesting it ?

I heard them talking about it on a local rock station this morning, because they wanted to check something they were talking about but they could not because they said Wiki was down....
    then it was a couple of hours later i realized what they were talking about......

When i got home from work almost every site i frequent was down or redirecting to a page talking about the new bill the $$$ mongers were trying to pass.

I haven't yet sorted out all the issues but the protest points sound relevant. You can't require a web site to police user comment under threat of blockage. I tend to support Rep Issa who says a court should require proof before a web site is banned.

I don't need to as i have already read a ton of info about it, but......
    A new link with new info is always appreciated!!!

25. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Only for a short time. The strategy of the RIAA and MPAA is to introduce bills with features that they know will not pass. Then they "compromise" getting half of what they want. Then a year or two later they introduce a new bill with even more egregious features and "compromise" again. They will do this over and over again until they get everything they want. If you doubt this read the diplomatic emails regarding pressure put on Spain in the last few years -- leaked by Wikileaks.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/how-the-us-convinced-spain-to-adopt-in...censorship.ars

And have no doubt about it: it is the RIAA and MPAA writing these bills, not Congress.

26. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Never ever trust that a government knows what you want or need. (Sorry, politics. But sometimes you have to take a stand.)

27. Imagine how much $$$ they are losing when millions of people are renting dvd's for a dollar or two instead of paying $20.00 each to watch a movie by having to buy it
    privilege!!!

Agreed. While they're at it, why don't they cancel TV, as well? That way, if someone wants to watch, for example, Law & Order they have to buy it. Then, they could implement some cr@p that only allows you to watch you copy, which you paid good money for, one time before it becomes no good. Of course, someone will learn how to circumvent this cr@p, and post their instructions on the internet. So, therefore, the only real answer is to shut down the internet.

And forget about the financial deficit!!! As long as the people in the government keep their jobs, and their undeservedly high salaries (at tax payer's expense), the rest of us can just fend for ourself. The most important thing here is that we forget about the real issues here, and pay rediculous taxes for the "privilege" of getting caught up in partisan bickering, just like our forefathers wanted. Boy, won't they be proud of how screwed up we'll soon be.

Of course, that was all 100% sarcastic. But, you all get my point.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Any links ?
    I have not seen anything yet but it would not surprise me as they are all pretty much only concerned with self preservation!!

I think the hero is Wikipedia that went completely (almost) black for a day.
    When i got up this morning i noticed right away thet every thread i opened on Vhelp went to that black page about the new bill, and i was like oh yeah!!!
    I have not heard anything about it for awhile, why is today so special that every site is protesting it ?

I heard them talking about it on a local rock station this morning, because they wanted to check something they were talking about but they could not because they said Wiki was down....
    then it was a couple of hours later i realized what they were talking about......

When i got home from work almost every site i frequent was down or redirecting to a page talking about the new bill the $$$ mongers were trying to pass.

I haven't yet sorted out all the issues but the protest points sound relevant. You can't require a web site to police user comment under threat of blockage. I tend to support Rep Issa who says a court should require proof before a web site is banned.

I don't need to as i have already read a ton of info about it, but......
    A new link with new info is always appreciated!!!
    Politico has had several articles. All of Congress must stand for election this year and a third of the Senate. Great time to influence them.

As for background info, check the links on the Wikipedia protest page. For a short cut summary check EFF.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about

29. Originally Posted by TSJNachos View Post
    ...Then, they could implement some cr@p that only allows you to watch you copy, which you paid good money for, one time before it becomes no good...
    It's already been invented and implemented. With DIVX the discs would degrade after exposure to the air. They were only watchable for a day or two. There's Pay-per-view on cable systems. Then there's the Broadcast Flag which has "copy never", "copy once", and "copy freely" flags. They aren't allowed to use the restricted settings for broadcast and normal cable channels but modern equipment is already set up to respond to the flags. Every now and then you hear about how some broadcast was "accidentally" flagged "copy never" and everybody's DVRs didn't record the show. I suspect at least some of these were experiments to see how well the system worked and how much shit hit the fan when they used it.

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by TSJNachos View Post
    ...Then, they could implement some cr@p that only allows you to watch you copy, which you paid good money for, one time before it becomes no good...
    It's already been invented and implemented. With DIVX the discs would degrade after exposure to the air. They were only watchable for a day or two. There's Pay-per-view on cable systems. Then there's the Broadcast Flag which has "copy never", "copy once", and "copy freely" flags. They aren't allowed to use the restricted settings for broadcast and normal cable channels but modern equipment is already set up to respond to the flags. Every now and then you hear about how some broadcast was "accidentally" flagged "copy never" and everybody's DVRs didn't record the show. I suspect at least some of these were experiments to see how well the system worked and how much shit hit the fan when they used it.
    Those DivX discs were designed for a rental system which did not require customers to return the discs. It failed miserably. I imagine that the ephemeral nature of the discs and needing a player that played the DivX discs in order to watch them had something to do with that.

The US Broadcast Flag was only for digital over-the-air TV. The portion of the FCC regulation requiring compliance from equipment manufacturers was declared illegal in 2005, because the FCC only had authority over transmission. The FCC officially eliminated the Broadcast Flag from its regulations last year.

You are thinking of the copy protection flags used by paid TV providers. The FCC permits those, but places limitations on their use, and lacks the legal authority to force equipment manufacturers to obey them. If recording equipment or software does obey them, the maker has agreed to it for other reasons.

The FCC's rules for the flags are as follows: Channels that are also available over-the-air must be marked "copy freely". Channels that are only available on cable may be marked "copy once", which means the only copy allowed is the original recording. "Copy never", which prevents recording, is only allowed for certain premium channels, pay-per view events and paid on-demand movies. To use copy-never protection, the programming cannot derive income from advertising. Also, time shifting has to be either built-in (PPV or on-demand allows viewers to choose when they will watch), or provided using something other than a recording device (subscribers have free access to the program on-demand).
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Jan 2012 at 11:59. Reason: spelling