VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My question concerns Discotek's 2019 4K Ultra HD Bu-ray, Space Adventure Cobra. The release is excellent, great HDR and generally a lot of fun but due to licencing restrictions it lacks the original UK dub where Manga Entertainment replaced all the music with songs by Yello. However, this alternate dub track was released on Manga Entertainment’s 2001 French DVD, Cobra le Film. So what I would like to do is sync the DVD audio to the 4K disc but my limited understanding is that the PAL disc will be at 25fps, while the 4K disc will be 24 fps. So what is the best way to sync them up?

In an ideal world I would play the DVD version through my soundbar and use a monitor to sync the visuals with the main TV which will be showing the 4K Blu-ray visuals. Alternatively I have a Blu-ray drive (not Ultra HD) on my PC and can either rip the DVD dub track or play that through the soundbar (optical or HDMI output) but I cannot rip the 4K disc. In terms of available hardware, I want to play the 4K disc visuals on an LG OLED55B9PLA and for playing media I have an Xbox Series-X, a Sony BDP-S490 Blu-ray player, a LG UBK90 Ultra HD Blu-Ray player and the PC. I could also reconfigure a Raspberry Pi 3 or 4 if that helps?

Thanks,
    Allosteric
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Allosteric View Post
    So what is the best way to sync them up?
    The easiest (and what I would prefer) is to simply tell the video to play at 25 fps to keep in sync with the audio (aka speedup). If this is the "best" depends on many factors, but it's certainly not bad because it does not involve having you to mess with re-encoding multichannel audio.

It does require both sources to be the exact same edit though. You may need to skew the audio a bit to fit (sometimes there are a few frames missing or added especially in the very first second of playtime).

I cannot rip the 4K disc.
    Why not?
    You can't do anyhing without ripping both discs. That's the ultimate requirement, sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    Why not?
    You can't do anyhing without ripping both discs. That's the ultimate requirement, sorry.
    I thought you needed a specific blu-ray drive (I have a Pioneer BDR-209EBK) and specific intel chipsets to rip a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray but happy to be corrected if that is not the case?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Assuming that both movies are exactly the same (except for the length, of course), you can easily match the soundtrack of the 25 fps movie to the soundtrack of the 24 fps one using clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Look at the picture.
    [Attachment 61191 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by ProWo; 8th Oct 2021 at 14:15.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Assuming that both movies are exactly the same (except for the length, of course), you can easily match the soundtrack of the 25 fps movie to the soundtrack of the 24 fps one using clever FFmpeg GUI.
    That sounds perfect. I will try that later on tonight and see if I can get it to work
    Quote Quote  
  6. @ProWo, apologies but I am struggling to select the english audio and rip that how do I select the different audio tracks?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    First you need to demux the audio track using PgcDemux.

This will then give you an audio file to process in FFmpeg-GUI.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    Why not?
    I thought you needed a specific blu-ray drive (I have a Pioneer BDR-209EBK) and specific intel chipsets to rip a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray but happy to be corrected if that is not the case?
    You are confusing the hardware requirements for ripping UHD Blu-ray disks with those for playing them with PowerDVD Ultra 17 to 21.

Intel 7th generation to Intel 10th generation Core i CPUs and particular compatible Intel motherboards plus a UHD Blu-ray drive are needed to play copy-protected UHD Blu-ray discs using the PowerDVD versions that support UHD Blu-ray playback.

For ripping, the CPU and motherboard requirements are easier to meet, although only some Blu-ray drive models (with specific firmware installed) and some UHD Blu-ray drive models (with specific firmware installed) can be used rip UHD Blu-ray discs. However, Pioneer did not make any of the drives that work for ripping.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Oct 2021 at 18:14.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can I know what does PAL mean? I've heard this word in a Discord server but didn't get the answer to what it is
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Allosteric View Post
    @ProWo, apologies but I am struggling to select the english audio and rip that how do I select the different audio tracks?
    You need to rip the desired audio track from the DVD first.
    If that doesn't work, rip the complete movie, including all audio tracks from the DVD.
    Then load the single audio file or the movie into clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Click on Main, then on Audio Conversion.
    If you have loaded the single audio file, then there is nothing to select.
    When you have loaded the movie, you can select the individual audio tracks.
    Then adjust the audio track as shown in the picture and re-encode it as desired.
    You can then play this audio track with the player of your choice with the 4k video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DiodE View Post
    can I know what does PAL mean? I've heard this word in a Discord server but didn't get the answer to what it is
    It means "Phase-Alternating Line" and refers to the technique used in one of the 3 main world systems of creating, broadcasting & distributing analog video (the other 2 being NTSC and SECAM). The narrow definition probably should be reserved to broadcasting, but is usually applied to the whole system and format.

Note: it was strictly an analog system, but with the advent of digital, and then HD and UHD digital, it is also not uncommon for laypeople to refer to those systems' digital equivalents using those original terms. So, even though analog PAL was StdDef 625 lines (of which 576 were visible) and the digital equivalent is 576 lines (when SD) or 720 or 1080 (when HD), etc, those digital versions are also often called PAL as well, as they all use 25/50 FPS and are easily cross-convertible.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_television_systems
    and
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 11th Oct 2021 at 17:31.
    Quote Quote