VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    How do I set up my vcr and dvd recorder so I can put my old vhs home movies on dvd?
    I have a Pioneer 510, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to plug it in so the vcr will play as the recorder records it.

( I know it must be on this site somewhere, but after looking for about an hour, I thought I'd give this a try ).

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Recording VHS to your Pioneer 510 should be easy. Hook up the outputs of your VCR to one of the inputs on the DVD recorder. Then run the output of the DVD recorder to your TV. Select the DVD recorder input that you want to record, and you should see and hear the VHS as it "runs through" the DVD recorder.

VCR --> DVD recorder --> TV

There should be thorough hook up diagrams and instructions in the owner's manual. If you don't have one, go to:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/manual/0,,2076_4279,00.html

Download a free copy of the DVR-510H-S manual

The Pioneer units have input video adjustments in the menu with pre-sets for VCR, laserdisc, TV, and for custom settings. If you pick the VCR setting, your copies should turn out pretty good. The recording length can be fine-tuned with the Manual Recording time (MN) settings, which allow you to select an optimized recording mode for the length of the specific tape.

If you are still having trouble, come back with a detailed description of where you are having difficulty, the type of VCR you have, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No luck.

The VCR I'm trying to tape from is a Samsung VCR/DVD combo and my TV is a 52" RCA.

What channel should they be set at?
    3?4?
    Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let's say you connect the Pioneer and Samsung by plugging line cables from the line output of the Samsung to the Line 1 input of the Pioneer. You then choose Line 1 as the input using the Input Select button on the Pioneer's remote control.

To connect via line inputs you use the cables that were packaged with your recorder.

Make sure the cables are connected to the line outputs of the Samsung VCR.

The picture from the Pioneer can only appear on your TV by using those kind of line cables. It doesn't work to connect the Pioneer to the TV using the TV coax cable. So connect a set of line cables from the Pioneer's line outputs to the TVs line input. Then tune your TV to that line input.

Channel 3/4 is not used at all with this kind of connection.
    Quote Quote