VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks, hospital technician here.

We have a medical instrument that creates files ending in .cine. The instrument can be used to view the videos and export individual files to MP4 but I want to bulk convert the files on our (WIMP) server so they can be distributed and viewed on client PCs.

Trouble is I cannot open the file with any utility that should be able to do so (ffmpeg/ffplay, VLC, Handbrake and even Phantom CineViewer). I have looked at the file in binary-mode editor and see no identifiable headers.

So, is the format a true .cine file (how to tell?) and what, preferably free/open source Win-friendly, package can handle it & convert to MP4 in bulk?

The file (test data, ~50MB zipped) can be downloaded from Here

Cheers,

K.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even proprietory/raw files, which you have here, requires metadata - frame rate, frame size etc. - that player software reads to play back the file.

That metadata will be stored somewhere on the camera and a simple transfer of the raw file leaves it somewhat 'naked'. The export to .mp4 encapsulates that metadata.

It appears that the main software for these cameras - PCC - does allow for bulk export.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Does this look something like what you expect?

[Attachment 60003 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. The OP must have found something that works for him. Here's how I got the above video with AviSynth:
    Code:
    RawSource("OD.Scan(2).cine", width=2048, height=256, pixel_type="Y8", index="0:0")
    Since it looks like there's an ~80 byte header you can remove that by changing the index="0:0" to index="0:80". That means frame zero (the first) starts at 80 bytes into the file, instead of at the start of the file.

The basic ffmpeg command line to read the source is:

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -f rawvideo -pixel_format gray -framerate 25 -video_size 2048x256 -skip_initial_bytes 80 -i OD.Scan(2).cine -c:v mjpeg -q:v 2 output.mov
    That produces a high quality MJPEG encoded video (it may make sense to use a lossless codec instead) in a MOV container. I arbitrarily selected 25 fps as I have no idea what the real frame rate is. And I chose to skip the first 80 bytes here.

For batch processing you can convert all .cine files in a folder with:

Code:
    for %%F in (*.cine) do ( ffmpeg -y -f rawvideo -pixel_format gray -framerate 25 -video_size 2048x256 -skip_initial_bytes 80 -i "%%~dpnxF" -c:v mjpeg -q:v 2 "%%~dpnF.mov" )
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks jagabo,

I missed the notification of your reply - for umpteen months <8^)

It looks good, I'll investigate it soon and let you know how I do.

I hope you're still out there helping others. Many thanks for taking the time to help and my apologies for letting NHS life keep me from following this up.

Cheers,

K.
    Quote Quote