VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey Folks
    Having a tough time figuring this one out.
    I "ripped" some DVD movies into files giving the typical Video-TS and Audio-TS folders on an external hard drive.
    Played beauifully on my laptop and then one day stopped being able to play...perhaps after an update of some kind.
    Now I get a black screen and when I try "open with" to find different media players to try it only lists my default one(doesnt work)
    At one point it mentioned not recognizing "a container" if that's relevant.
    When I hookup my hard Drive to my desktop they play fine.

Can anyone figure out what am I missing on my laptop that prevents these from playing?

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you try VLC? If this is a codec problem, VLC comes with its own internal codecs.

If not, Open VLC. Select "Media" on the menu bar then select "Open File". Go to the VIDEO_TS folder for your DVD, then click "VIDEO_TS.IFO".
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Did you try VLC? If this is a codec problem, VLC comes with its own internal codecs.

If not, Open VLC. Select "Media" on the menu bar then select "Open File". Go to the VIDEO_TS folder for your DVD, then click "VIDEO_TS.IFO".
    Hey UsuallyQuiet
    Thanks for the reply
    I opened up the folder but didn't see something titled Video_TS.IFO. There were many VTS files (VOB) shown as MPC HC.
    Clicking the larger ones allowed it to actually play with Windows Media Classic Player but not VLC, DIVX, etc.
    However, I would probably have to click each file individually to play.
    What seems to be missing is the ability to right click-open with the Movie folder or Video_TS folder to bring up the standard opening title/menu screen.
    Perhaps this is a "container" issue that needs a codec?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by steve franklin View Post
    Hey UsuallyQuiet
    Thanks for the reply
    I opened up the folder but didn't see something titled Video_TS.IFO. There were many VTS files (VOB) shown as MPC HC.
    Clicking the larger ones allowed it to actually play with Windows Media Classic Player but not VLC, DIVX, etc.
    What seems to be missing is the ability to right click-open with the Movie folder or Video_TS folder to bring up the standard opening title/menu screen.
    VIDEO_TS.IFO is a required file for all DVDs. If it is missing something is wrong.

VIDEO_TS.IFO contains instructions that control what happens next after a DVD player loads the disc. For example, if the DVD has a main menu, the instructions in the VIDEO_TS.IFO file either tell the player to display the main menu or tell the player to play a "first play" video (trailers, etc.) and then display the main menu. If there is no main menu, then the instructions in the VIDEO_TS file should tell the player to play the first video on the DVD.

[Edit]If there is a VIDEO_TS.BUP file (also required) it's a backup copy of the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. You can copy it and rename the copy "VIDEO_TS.IFO" to restore the VIDEO_TS.IFO file.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Feb 2022 at 16:10.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With VLC you do not even have to select a file. Choose 'Open Disk' and browse to the folder that contains the _TS sub-folders. Select 'Play'

If the ripped dvd does not play then there is something wrong with your installation of VLC. Re-install it to see if that solves the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by steve franklin View Post
    Hey UsuallyQuiet
    Thanks for the reply
    VIDEO_TS.IFO is a required file for all DVDs. If it is missing something is wrong.

VIDEO_TS.IFO contains instructions that control what happens next after a DVD player loads the disc. For example, if the DVD has a main menu, the instructions in the VIDEO_TS.IFO file either tell the player to display the main menu or tell the player to play a "first play" video (trailers, etc.) and then display the main menu. If there is no main menu, then the instructions in the VIDEO_TS file should tell the player to play the first video on the DVD.

[Edit]If there is a VIDEO_TS.BUP file (also required) it's a backup copy of the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. You can copy it and rename the copy "VIDEO_TS.IFO" to restore the VIDEO_TS.IFO file.
    You are quite correct U.Q. There was an IFO file however I assumed it would be named that instead of looking to see the description of the type of file each one was. It was there. So interestingly, I was able to open the IFO file by "open with" and choose PowerDVD player, and after the commericals the Menu screen was there and it played. Thanks a ton. Strange that I couldn't play with VLC or be given the option of playing from the folders instead of clicking the IFO file. But I'm not complaining. Since I could on my desktop I'm either missing something on my laptop or perhaps need to re-install VLC
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    With VLC you do not even have to select a file. Choose 'Open Disk' and browse to the folder that contains the _TS sub-folders. Select 'Play'

If the ripped dvd does not play then there is something wrong with your installation of VLC. Re-install it to see if that solves the issue.
    You could very will be right DB83. I'm going to try to reinstall VLC and see if it works.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. Peace
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    “…bigger brains than mine…”

I’m out.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Barrythecrab View Post
    “…bigger brains than mine…”

I’m out.
    Trust me your a contender.
    Quote Quote