VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For the past couple of years, I have been using TotalMedia Studio Version 3 to create Bluray movie discs from .TS video files created with my Hauppage PVR. In fact, the TotalMdia software came on the CD that accompanied the PVR. Anyway, for unknown reasons, the Totalmedia Studio program began to crash while importing the video files. I have tried reinstalling it to no avail. Arcsoft no longer markets or supports it, nor do they market a replacement.

As a result, I have been trying several other software programs, with no satisfactory results:
    1. Pinnacle Studio Ultimate Collwction Version 15 (which I purchased several years ago. Although it claims to support Bluray, when I attempt to create a new video project, it does not recognize my Bluray drive, and thus the only options are standard DVD quality.
    2. MakeBD: I downloaded the most recent version (1.2.1), and while it does seem to support Bluray format, once I add one or more .TS video files and click 'next', it begins to process the files, but it never seems to complete. After several hours, it reaches 100% but instead of finishing, it just keeps going on processing. The only choice that I can see is to cancel it, which causes the Bluray files not to be completely written to my hard drive.
    3. Last but not least, I downloaded a trial version of Videoredo TVSuite version 5.??. Like Pinnacle Studio, it seems unaware of Bluray, listing only 4.7GB. 8.5GB or 10GB as choices for quality.

So I am beginning to lose hope. I don't need anything with fancy bells and whistles. All I want is to be able to create a Bluray DVD that can contain up to 25 GB (or about 4-5 hours) of relatively high quality (1920x1080 bitrate ~ 9785kbps) and have a chapter for each movie so that when I play it in a set top Bluray player, it will allow me to select which movie I want to play.

Can anyone here please give me their recommendations, including whether there are any tweaks to any of the programs I mentioned that will make them work?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you dont need a menu, only chapters and have .ts files try tsmuxer. If you want a menu but want free try multiavchd. Ain't updated lately but worked for me when i did menus. For full authoring BD solution that you can buy look into tmpeg video mastering works. There's others, but these are the only ones I've personally tried
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For free software, there is also Blu-Disc Studio Lite and MakeBD. (I have not tried either of them)

For moderately-priced paid software there is also CyberLink Power Director (I have tried it, and used it successfully) and DVD Architect Studio.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm using Adobe Encore CS6 at the time. I haven't completed a project yet but I am about to hit build. It's pretty intuitive and easy to use enough for me. I mastered DVD building quite some time ago but everything was kind of learned on my own with minimal input from others.

I tried multiavchd. Not as much options as far as menus go. Pretty easy to use. I do find that it's easy to screw something up. Haven't given it a REAL rundown as far as exercising some of the options goes but probably about a 7/10 in my mind in terms of ease. (afterdawn has some tutorials that I found helpful.)

VideoRedo is quite possibly the BEST software I have in my arsenal, PERIOD. I love it and it has singularly become my go-to for any video issues I have. However, it doesn't support creation of Blu-ray discs which totally sucks.

I'll report back later when Encore is finished. Looks promising and not too hard for what I am trying to do.
    Quote Quote  
  5. So, as promised, I am here to sing the praises Encore CS6. It worked like a charm. If you have to complete any transcoding, it will take a while. I found that to be the slowest part of the whole process. Here's what I did step by step that worked for me:
    1.) Begin making the project and applying all desired settings.
    2.) Import my custom menu made in photoshop.
    3.) Start importing video files.
    2A) As you import, be sure to check the size Encore is projecting as the final size and remember, if you are authoring a 25gb Blu-ray, you don't really have 25gb to put on the disc.
    (Remember no matter what your medium, you won't have the full amount of space the disc claims)
    4.) As I imported, I paid attention to what files Encore wanted to transcode. In the instance that I had videos it wanted to transcode, I tried to fix them in VideoRedo first so that I didn't have to wait as long for Encore CS6 to transcode. (It didn't work on all of them. Some of them I had to allow Encore to transcode.)
    5.) I had the output set to give me an ISO image of the disc that I used IMGBurn to burn to disc. I've been using IMGBurn for ages and find it to be reliable as heck.

That's pretty much all there is to it. I highly recommend it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Note that Adobe is no longer selling Adobe Encore CS6 separately. Adobe only makes Encore CS6 available now with a subscription to Adobe Premiere Pro CC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I appreciate the responses so far. I have tried several of the suggested products with no satisfactory results.
    A couple of examples:
    • MakeBD: I tried to author a Bluray DVD containing 2 movies (.TS files). The process completed, but the resulting Bluray DVD could not be read on any of my Bluray players.
    • AvchCoder: I was able to create a Bluray DVD containing the same 2 movies, and while the DVD was able to be read by my Bluray players, there was a terrible lipsync problem. The audio was at least a second off from the video. I have read some discussions on the forums here dealing with lipsynch issues, but the complexity of potential solutions to these issues was far beyond anything I care to get involved in. IMO, no software (free or not) should not require the user to participate in a process something akin to the Middle East peace talks to get successful results.
    At this point, unless someone can offer a simple resolution to the issues above, I am resigned to buying a commercial software package to allow me to author Blu-ray DVD's, but I need some kind of assurance that I will not be throwing my money away.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    ... I am resigned to buying a commercial software package to allow me to author Blu-ray DVD's, but I need some kind of assurance that I will not be throwing my money away.
    Try before you buy. You can download free trials for TMPGEnc Authoring Works, Cyberlink PowerDirector and Vegas DVD Architect and make up your own mind about them.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am in the same boat. My production needs are limited. I used the Arcsoft software successfully for years. I like to record sporting events off broadcast and cable and share them with my friends. the I had used Total Media Extreme (TME) and its Showbiz program to burn DVDs and Blu-Rays. The menu interface was totally customizable, and it was easy to use your own jpg for the menu background. Everything just worked for my purposes.

I have always used Videoredo to edit the material, and then Showbiz to burn it to disc.

I am trying out TMPGEnc Authoring Works right now. It seems to render beautifully, and have an almost-infinite selection of menu options. Yet one feature I liked with Showbiz that I cannot seem to find is the ability to use your own photos for the main menu background. Am I missing something, or is that simply a feature that is not supported? The only backgrounds that seem to be available are those that come with the various templates they offer to build menus with.

In usage, the program is otherwise very simple and intuitive. Can any TMPGEnc Authoring Works users enlighten me on the background image issue? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mobilelawyer View Post
    Can any TMPGEnc Authoring Works users enlighten me on the background image issue? Thanks in advance.
    TMPGEnc Authoring Works has searchable online help. See: http://help.pegasys-inc.com/en/taw6/04035.html and http://help.pegasys-inc.com/en/taw6/04038.html
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The online help answered my question, and, yes, it is easy to create your own backgrounds with standard image files. I was not looking in the right place. I really like the product, and will review it after I have more experience with it. It's a little pricey for what I would normally spend for software, but I thought the same think about Videoredo several years ago when I started using it. Experience has more than justified that investment, and I am feeling the same way about TMPGEnc Authoring Works. If menus are are important to you as a Blu-Ray creator, and you can't spend a fortune for the software, then this product is certainly worth a try. None of its features are disabled in the trial version. The only evidence you are using the trial version is the nag screen which pops up on new instances of the program.
    Quote Quote