VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well i have been using convertxtodvd for my main dvd converting program and now im looking to change to a better program that will help improve quality and isnt hard to use and doesnt take forever to do the process of turning files into h264 and etc and then into VOB files to burn. I know im asking alot but hey im just trying to take a new step to the old way of doing things.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you converting to h264 then VOB files? Why not straight to VOB files?

As to something better I've been trying out FAVC lately and so far I'm liking it for a one-click app. It will produce better quality than ConvertX IMO...but depending how you configure it and your system, it "can" be faster than convertx in some instances. It doesn't create a menu though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The thing is i want to bring out the best quality i can in them when i put it to VOB files. As i see Convertxtodvd it aint the best to use for doing what i want now. but i want to have better quality and i want something kind of simple to use and dont take forever to convert.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What's your source video? Type and format? H264 is one of the most compressed video formats out there at present. It would take a lot of processing power and a fair amount of time to convert it to another format. If you started with a less compressed format, you wouldn't want to feed it to a H264 encode first.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cowboysroy31
    but i want to have better quality and i want something kind of simple to use and dont take forever to convert.
    Well if you're dead set on simplicity then you can check the one-click apps in the tools section:

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/all-in-one-dvd-converters

If I want the best quality and plan to archive I do things manually with avisynth and CCE. Quality takes time, can't rush stuff like that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    most the stuff is xvid and i dont mind taking time but i dont want to be waiting 4-8hours on something to convert i dont mind a few hours just not so long. plus i dont mind doing a few steps as long as it dont time a genius to work it and such.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    most the stuff is xvid and i dont mind taking time but i dont want to be waiting 4-8hours on something to convert i dont mind a few hours just not so long. plus i dont mind doing a few steps as long as it dont time a genius to work it and such.
    So your current process is XviD --> h264 --> VOB? I would skip the whole h264 step.

FAVC uses avisynth and HCenc so you can try that out to see how the quality will look to you before you try to do it manually. But for multi pass good quality it will take some time depending on the running time, resolution, etc of your source files.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just tryed using FAVC and when hitting the go button it wont start and no i just started using h264 because it saves space and from what i have seen its just as good quality as xvid is. BTW if you know the problem i might be having on FAVC i will try it out but as of now i have left it alone.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just tryed using FAVC and when hitting the go button it wont start and no i just started using h264 because it saves space and from what i have seen its just as good quality as xvid is. BTW if you know the problem i might be having on FAVC i will try it out but as of now i have left it alone.
    Did you install avisynth? Did you install .NET framework? It requires those 2 in order to function.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For a straight encode you convert from the most original file you have.

Xvid -> h264 = Good
    Xvid -> DVD = Good

Xvid -> h264 -> DVD = Bad

Waste of time and you will get a better quality video by skipping the extra conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pinstripes23
    Did you install avisynth? Did you install .NET framework? It requires those 2 in order to function.
    pretty sur ei got the .net frame with W/updates and etc. and im pretty sure i got avisynth when i got megui today. but anyways the thing is i wouldnt do the extra process if not needed and im not doing it to waste time but to save space as of late if you know what i mean. but anyways all im asking is for a good program to use that isnt hard to use and doesnt take 4-8hours to do its thing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What exactly happens when you click the "Generate DVD" button?
    The only thing you need to do before that is to select input video.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well i am trying to use megui now and all and when i go to encode something and etc i want to know whats the best option to use for audio and etc. i use ac3 or whatever most the time and it has like 124/256/etc to pick but i dotn see that with the audio options on this one. I might be missing something but i dunno.
    Quote Quote