VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. monsieur caillou
    hi there,

using ffmpegX i have to choose if i want to deinterlace my VOB source when encoding to "libavcodec mpeg-4".

usually i try encoding 5 minutes with and 5 minutes without deinterlace, and then compare...

so i am looking for a tool (os x / freeware?) in order to analyse my source...

yours caillou
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VOB's are invariably interlaced. Joys of TV's being interlaced (for now).
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Guest
    They are often Mixed...
    I.E. I did a "backup" of Terminator2 extended version using CladDVD and set the DVD2AVI to "ForceFilm" (23.976fps)...

Then I checked with TMPGenc to make sure the film was really in Progressive mode...

I found out that MOST (~98%) of the film was indeed Progressive but a few segments were interlaced...

Go figure why !!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. TV and DV-camera sources, as well as most anime and cartoon, are interlaced. Feature movie VOBs are almost never interlaced.

To check, you should just open the file in quicktime player and pause on a still frame, and move forward frame by frame with the arrow keys: if the video is interlaced, then the interlacing artifacts will be visible, especially in scenes containing some movement, eg like in this capture.
    Quote Quote