VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I’m new to the forum. Glad to be here. I was given a Panasonic DMR-ES40V VHS/DVD recorder recently and am having an issue with it. When I turn it on, the interface screen is black and white with a black bar down the center, and the image is repeated on both sides of the screen. This also occurs during VHS and DVD-r playback. Please see photos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 9.12.46 AM.png
Views:	434
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	46633

I hooked it up via component cables.
    Any idea what might be causing this?
    Any help is truly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    J

Read more: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/8952-panasonic-dmr-es40v.html#ixzz5PURT22o1
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Try holding down the Cancel/Reset (*) button on the remote and see if the picture straightens out.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The reset procedure for a Panasonic is to(while the unit is ON) is to hold down both the CH up and CH down buttons(on the unit not remote) for 5 seconds. The unit should shut off and reboot.
    Note this will reset a few of your setup preferences and channel lineup but not much else. Note I'm not too sure this will cure your problem as I feel it's more hardware related and probably not worth fixing(the ES-40v is one of the worst models Panasonic made, in terms of reliability and quirkiness) but the reset won't hurt.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What you're seeing looks like a 480p signal being sent to a device that's expecting 480i. I'd first try connecting with a composite cable (usually yellow RCA connectors) to verify the device is working properly. Then worry about component.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    What you're seeing looks like a 480p signal being sent to a device that's expecting 480i.
    Which is why I advised using the Cancel button, which toggles the component input between progressive and interlaced modes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks you guys for all the help. When I get back in town I'll hook it up and try the Cancel/Reset button.
    I was actually mistaken. I originally had it hooked up via a composite cable, not component.
    I know for sure the TV was displaying 480i, so the 480p signal is probably the issue.
    Thanks again for the help. Very much appreciated
    Last edited by buck116; 31st Aug 2018 at 13:09.
    Quote Quote