VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've got video recorded from a Hauppauge PVR-250 that I'd like to make some very simple cuts in (e.g., remove a few minutes at each end). It also has standard NTSC closed-captioning data that I'd like to keep in the resulting file.

I've tried using ProjectX 0.90.3 to make the cuts, and mplex from mjpegtools 1.6.3-rc2 (2.2.3) to remux the resulting pair of files (just "mplex -V -f 3 audio video -o multiplexed"). Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, the closed-captioning data gets lost; I'm not sure whether it's ProjectX or mplex or how to figure that out.

I'd be perfectly happy with any tool(s) that ran under Linux (specifically, Ubuntu) that can let me do cutting without losing the CC data, so if anyone has any suggestions about how to proceed---or even just a better place to be asking this question---please let me know.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blueshell
    any tool(s) that ran under Linux (specifically, Ubuntu) that can let me do cutting without losing the CC data, so if anyone has any suggestions about how to proceed---or even just a better place to be asking this question---please let me know.
    I'm not a Ubuntu user, so I don't know what works under that distribution.

If the original video is in mpeg format, an application you could consider for VERY simple cuts is dvbcut:
    http://dvbcut.sourceforge.net/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey, that looks like it should be just the thing, if it -really- just copies data unaltered except at cutpoints. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting it compiled, so I may have to ask on its user list. (I'm running Ubuntu Breezy. dvbcut's deps are too new for Hoary, but too old for Breezy (it wants libstdc++5, but Breezy uses 6), and trying to compile it from its tarball blows up because it's missing (at least) dvbcutbase.h from its own sources.)

But if I can make it work, it's probably about right... Tnx!

(If you or anyone else has first-hand experience w/this and CC data, or w/getting this to compile under Breezy, speak up...)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well, I may have to give up on dvbcut. I have no idea if it -would- work, but...

Its users list on sourceforge won't accept subscriptions. (Trying to subscribe never has it mail back the confirmation email, so I can't actually finish subscribing so I can post.)

Sending email directly to its author (both his sourceforge address and his own site address) doesn't get an answer, either.

It's been several days for each.

The tarballs appear to be missing at least 3 .h files.

If anyone's been able to compile dvbcut themselves, I'd like to hear about it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blueshell
    If anyone's been able to compile dvbcut themselves, I'd like to hear about it.
    I confess for both my SuSE-9.3 and SuSE-10.0 PC's I used an rpm from Packman (compiled for SuSE):
    http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=745
    Quote Quote