VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    More of a "WTF?" post than anything, but I'm curious if anyone else has mid-90s Fox Kids recordings they can check for the same anomaly. This particular tape was recorded from cable TV in 1995. I have a capture from a late 1997 tape that shows the same thing.

Attached video is compressed with Ut Video Codec. To inspect the sample:
    Code:
    AVISource("scrolling.avi").AssumeTFF()
    Bob()
    StackVertical(StackHorizontal(UtoY().Subtitle("UtoY"),VtoY().Subtitle("VtoY")))
    The luma portion of the interlaced end credits move at full-rate, but the chroma is half-rate. This affects all of the programs and ads, not just this particular show. Chroma changes are sometimes split across scene changes. Recordings from different channels on the same tape are normal, and the rainbow pattern flashes at 60Hz, so I'd like to think we can rule out a capture problem.

I assume the small high-res portions in U and V are from incomplete Y/C separation.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I haven't see the video yet (it's still downloading), but did you use UT Video Codec in YUY2 mode or YV12 mode? UT in YV12 mode defaults to progressive -- that would cause the symptom you're seeing.

Got the file now... I see it's in ULY2 mode, 4:2:2. Any chance it was YV12 at some point?
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd Feb 2012 at 22:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Nah, I captured other parts of the tape in the same file and they're normal. It's only the stuff from this channel that's screwy.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Guess it was screwed up before broadcast then.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Amazon's manufactured-on-demand release of "The Amanda Show" suffers from the same issue.

Code:
    FFVideoSource("TASD1-sample.mpg",cache=false)
    Bob()
    StackVertical(StackHorizontal(UtoY().Subtitle("UtoY"),VtoY().Subtitle("VtoY")))
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Is this PAL stuff? I know this sort of thing can happen to PAL footage that isn't edited correctly (don't retain the 4-field cadence required for complete color, IIRC).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Native 60Hz. I have digital TV recordings with full chroma (but the bitrate sucks).
    Quote Quote