VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Are you still waiting for a favorite tv show to come out on dvd?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.archive.org/

Popeye is public domain now and can be dowloaded for free from here. I doubt they have them ALL, but I nabbed all of the Fleischer Superman cartoons from here.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
  2. From what I've read, the WB restored Popeyes will be spectacular! Also, the Fleischer Superman's are on DVD completely restored from the negatives, but you have to buy the Superman set to get them. Hopefully he animated shorts will come out on their own eventually.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Popeye's and Supermans are also out on $1.00 DVD's available at many Walmarts (near the checkouts) and dollar stores. The prints are pretty much identical to theones nitemare pointed to at archive.org. Thats because they were provided by an outfit that packages public domain films - Film Chest.

http://www.filmchest.com/

A good tool for determining if some titles are available.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nitemare
    http://www.archive.org/

Popeye is public domain now and can be dowloaded for free from here. I doubt they have them ALL, but I nabbed all of the Fleischer Superman cartoons from here.
    According to this:

http://www.answers.com/topic/fleischer-studios

Popeye is not public domain, though many of the other Fleischer cartoons are.....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SOUL TRAIN

HOTEL DEPAREE
    Lawrence Johnson
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Wile_E
    I'm waiting on a decent transfer of Star Trek Next Generation TV series. The first three seasons I have are pixelated and look horrible for the most part.
    The first couple or so are a little soft but I think they do get a wee bit better. (I have all seven and watch on well calibrated 36" analog which may explain my satisfaction with my back-ups.
    Voyager appears somewhat better, if interested.

Originally Posted by FulciLives
    As fascinated as I am by old TV shows available on DVD I must say that I've bought very few at all. I think the price is one factor ... most are just priced way to high for my budget.

One set I do plan to buy is the TWIN PEAKS set. I never bought the first set and a second set is finally comming out but for those that didn't buy the first set yet ... wait. News is that a few months after the second set comes out they will release a TOTAL BOX SET that will include Season 1 and 2 in a single box. That's what I am excited about.
    Thanks for the info. Finally! I was wondering if/when the 2nd season would ever, if ever, come out.
    I still want to make sure all will be released before buying though. And hope they dont go crazy with the price like Paramount did with Star Trek.
    Regards,
    NL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NiteLite
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    One set I do plan to buy is the TWIN PEAKS set. I never bought the first set and a second set is finally comming out but for those that didn't buy the first set yet ... wait. News is that a few months after the second set comes out they will release a TOTAL BOX SET that will include Season 1 and 2 in a single box. That's what I am excited about.
    Thanks for the info. Finally! I was wondering if/when the 2nd season would ever, if ever, come out.
    I still want to make sure all will be released before buying though. And hope they dont go crazy with the price like Paramount did with Star Trek.
    Regards,
    NL
    Due to copyright issues over the pilot the first box set of Twin Peaks (NTSC R1 Season One release) does not have the pilot. My understanding is that the Season Two box set will include the pilot episode and is intended for those that did buy the first box set which from what I read sold rather well.

Anyways what I read was that the second box set is due by mid-year (I think I had read April or maybe May) but that late this year a total box set is due that will have the pilot and the entire series plus exclusive extras.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    British classic , Not The Nine o Clock News
    wake up this planet is dying!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Cole
    All of the Pertwee episodes exist but in varying conditions e.g. a couple of episodes exist only in black and white.

As for missing or incomplete Hartnell/Troughton stories, there was an interesting recent DVD release:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2006/11/10/37819.shtml

By the way; the season box-set of the Key To Time which was released in the US a few years back has NOT been released in the UK!
    I believe that there are several episodes that were released on DVD in the UK that were never released in the US as well. As for Key to Time, my friend has the box set, and each of the six discs is autographed by Tom Baker.

I'll have to check that link you posted.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by LloydAZ
    I believe that there are several episodes that were released on DVD in the UK that were never released in the US as well.
    True, but the Key to Time not being released in the UK is like episodes of Star Trek being only available in the UK! Although as the Key to Time hasn't been listed on the Restoration Team site I wonder if an un-restored print has been used i.e. the same print as was used for previous VHS releases?
    Cole
    Quote Quote  
  11. I think a short lived western called "Johnny Ringo" should be released on DVD. It was a rather unique western, Johnny had a "seven shooter", his revolver had a second barrel that held a shotgun shell in addition to the regular barrel that had six bullets. It was produced by Aaron Spelling and did well in the ratings; apparently the producer just wanted to go on to something else that interested him more. I watched all the episodes of the series on Lonestar, which airs western tv shows and movies in Canada.

I agree with the poster that wrote "Starlost", I remember that show from when I was a kid. I couldn't remember the name until just recently though. That guy on the computer screen was rather irritating.

I would add "Littlest Hobo", the version that ran from 1979 to the mid 80's.
    Matt And Jenny, short lived series with Megan Follows.
    Swiss Family Robinson, the Canadian Series.

I know they have released a DVD from the English Show "Waiting For God", but there are very few episodes on the DVD they released. It seems to me they should of put more episodes out then that. It is a really terrific show, and unfortunately PBS Detroit, doesn't show it very often.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fernwood 2Nite, which became America 2Nite in it's second and final season. It was a 1977 spin-off from Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, and starred Martin Mull and Fred Willard in a brilliant send-up of tv talk shows. It's been shown on TV Land, but it absolutely deserves its own DVD release.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Cole
    Originally Posted by LloydAZ
    I believe that there are several episodes that were released on DVD in the UK that were never released in the US as well.
    True, but the Key to Time not being released in the UK is like episodes of Star Trek being only available in the UK! Although as the Key to Time hasn't been listed on the Restoration Team site I wonder if an un-restored print has been used i.e. the same print as was used for previous VHS releases?
    It is strange that they would release it here in the US and not in the UK.

I did watch this series on the DVD's that my friend has, and the quality was good, so I don't know what they would have to do with any type of restoration, unless there were missing segments on the VHS release.

I did look at that link you posted, and it looks quite interesting. The idea of animating the missing episodes is quite clever. I guess we are quite lucky that the audio portion of the missing episodes still exists. I'd love to see them do more of this with the other missing episodes. It may be the only way that we will ever be able to see them. Thank you for the information on this.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    Seriously. I know I'm just a major kids show geek all over, but Mysterious Cities of Gold.

It may even be out (in english, PAL, legit form - not ebay knockoffs or the terrible, VHS sourced, french-only canadian version), but like someone going on a sponsored fast, I've waited and hunted long enough that i've got chase-fatigue. I'm not hungry for it anymore. It will almost certainly come out sometime, and when I randomly run across it again (as I did Morph, and Trapdoor, and Ulysses, and Dogtanian without even trying), I will buy it then.

and probably go drive off a cliff as one of my life's major quests will have been ended not with a bang but an inaudible whimper
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  15. The Alvin Show from 1961. When one episode came out on DVD, it was restored beautifully.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    waiting for the Banana Splits to come out on dvd.....
    Quote Quote  
  17. Most of what I sought in 2007 - earlier post - is now available. Pity about WKRP: released, but without the original music. Barney Miller, Night Court, and Max Headroom are all available. A&E never did release any more early episodes of The Saint so I bought a PAL set.

Still waiting for a Blu-Ray of the second season of Stargate Universe. Mysteriously, the Showcase series Continuum is not available on disc in Canada, despite being filmed here.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    still waiting for Ed (NBC, 2000)
    Put NBC's Ed on Blu-ray!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Beverly Hillbillies, Season 4 and beyond, which include the English Castle episodes, as well as Granny's capturing Ulysses S. Grant at the Culpepper Plantation Battle.. YouTube has these with the fake music.

Casey Jones, Alan Hale Jr's second TV series (after 1952's Biff Baker). With Dub Taylor occasionally giving the steam-whistle some action. One of the first of the Memorable Theme Song series for TV - which obviously wouldn't be Alan Jr's last foray into memorable theme songs.

The Chris Isaak Show, one of the first Showtime series, with the imaginary mermaid giving Chris the rest of life's lessons, with a strong cast serving as Chris' band and a most beautiful Kristin Datillo as his erstwhile manager/agent/sister confessor.

Better Off Ted, Season 2; ah yes, a journey into the real Truth In Advertising business world.

Human Target, Season 2, although Guerrero was too softened in Season 2, some tip o' the hat to Political Correctness.

New Amsterdam, all 7 episodes would be purchased if available. A rather interesting study of the live long & prosper - a VERY long long life, that is. But each episode is slowed with the boring flashbacks that make repeat viewings too banal.

The Invisible Man, Season 2 with Vincent Ventresca still fretting about his brain-implant gland. Yawn - get over it. The complete series was released in Europe for about 8 minutes, but seemed to have gone thru one pressing and disappeared shortly thereafter.

It's Like You Know, which is LA's answer to Seinfeld. While the first two episodes are rather flat (Chris Eigeman as Everyman won't ever be mistaken for Charles Bronson), the rest finally pick up steam and having The Real Jennifer Grey act out crazier parts of her myth are part of the excellence.

Amos & Andy. The 77-episode collection is available in public domain, and deliver a series so well-honed because of 40 years of radio-shows. We have been recently treated to the full Honeymooners' series release and surely it has no more or less political correctness than this hilarious series.
    Last edited by OllieTSB; 14th Oct 2013 at 10:38.
    Quote Quote