VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What's your internet speed at?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mine is at 50 Mbps down and 3 Mbps,last poll on this was in 2009.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    100 down and 10 up through cable modem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ha

2.5 down 0.37 up

...on a good day.

johns0; quite a big gap between 1 and 10Mb/s - maybe add 5 as an option?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My connection speed is 100 Mbps down and 100 Mbps up..
    And it still feels slow to me..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm around 5 down don't know the up. I'm on comcast cable. I haven't checked in awhile so don't know for sure. But I can watch a 720p hdx (edit - or is hdx their lingo for the 1080p movies? Whichever the 720p is called is the one I use and can do it a-ok) movie through vudu on lan connection through my ps3 with no buffering issues through the whole movie. So I would say my speed is just fine
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Test your speed at: http://speedtest.net
    Try multiple servers in your area.

I pay for 15 Mb/s down, 2 Mb/s up. But I get around 25 down, 7 up. It would be interesting to see what people are paying too. And what country they are in. I pay about $55 a month in the USA for internet (it's hard to say exactly how much because it's part of a discounted bundle with cable TV).
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Feb 2013 at 20:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    (it's hard to say exactly how much because it's part of a discounted bundle with cable TV).
    Do you do the phone deal too? I only do the tv and internet with comcast. I keep a landline for power outages and stuff. I don't like the idea of only having an 8 hour backup for voip if the power goes out. I don't talk all that much but its one of those things I want to keep.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    (it's hard to say exactly how much because it's part of a discounted bundle with cable TV).
    Do you do the phone deal too?
    We used to but stopped about a year ago. Just VOIP (Ooma) and cell phone now.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Don't know too much about up and down, but I can get a 700MB file in about 2 minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    Don't know too much about up and down, but I can get a 700MB file in about 2 minutes.
    That means around 60Mbps.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    On ATT DSL, using their fastest service for this area, I get 6mb down and 0.5 up. $45 a month.

I chatted online with the local cable company to see if I could get a faster service from them, and in my "remote area", all they could offer was 1mb download speed.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I pay for 15 Mb/s down, 2 Mb/s up. But I get around 25 down, 7 up. It would be interesting to see what people are paying too. And what country they are in. I pay about $55 a month in the USA for internet (it's hard to say exactly how much because it's part of a discounted bundle with cable TV).
    About £25/$35 a month for 'up to 15Mbps' (ADSL over copper) and free landline calls + some business numbers. No TV included.

Fibre is available for a price, but only to the street cabinet over a mile away so around 15-20Mbps max. The last mile of copper is above ground and in a poor state so dropouts and poor quality voice calls and internet are fairly common.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pretty lousy. On an island off Hong Kong and bandwidth severely limted, yet the ISP (there's basically just one) keeps overselling it and more and more people are (trying to) watch TV and use their pads and smartphones all connected to the same link to Hong Kong Island. The cost keeps going up and the service keeps getting worse.

Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just checked with a speed test through Speakeasy and it's about 20Mbps down and apparently .82Mbps up. (Some sort of problem there. It's usually 5Mbps. ) I have a VDSL connection with no phone. Cost is about $60US per month. But there isn't too many options at my location for high speed internet.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    On ATT DSL, using their fastest service for this area, I get 6mb down and 0.5 up. $45 a month.
    Same with me, I wish AT&T would lay fiber optic in my neighborhood so I can get 24Mbps and U-verse.
    Quote Quote  
  16. just switched to Verizon Fios 3 days ago. I now get 50mbps down and 32mbps up (compared to my previous time warner cables 15 down and 60k up). The next upgrade package had 75 down and I forgot what the up was, but was out of my price range

** was playing around with a few speed test online programs. The highest I got was 58 down and 35 up
    Last edited by mazinz; 11th Feb 2013 at 01:25.
    Quote Quote  
  17. 28 Mb down, 3 up, Telus VDSL2, $47.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Speed test:

I'm paying for 100/10...
    Last edited by Baldrick; 12th Feb 2013 at 11:39.
    Quote Quote  
  19. 4 Different speed test sites gave me 4 different results:
    Speedtest.net 43 down 23 up
    testmy.net 27 down 16 up
    testmyspeed.com 4 down 1.7 up
    speakeasy.net 42 down 17 up

We have NJ Verizon Fios and are supposed to be getting in the neighborhood of 50 down and 20. It's part of our triple play bundle (TV, Phone, Internet) for $135 a month. The hi speed internet on it's own is about $45 a month I believe.

Interesting how the different tests give such different results.

--dES
    Last edited by Des; 11th Feb 2013 at 08:14. Reason: added details
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Des View Post
    Not really.

Many sites don't have sufficient bandwidth to handle many people running the test at the same time. Try at different times of day.

Sites may limit the bandwidth to individual clients so the results aren't valid for very fast clients. Their main interest is in showing very slow clients how slow they are so they can sell them a faster connection. People that already have fast connections are of no interest to them.

Long ping times will decrease the throughput. Think of the difference between having a phone conversation (short ping time) vs. the same conversation by mail (long ping time). Using Speedtest.net compare servers near you vs. servers that are far away.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm at 2.5 to 9.0 down and about 1.0 up using a USB connected mobile hotspot [Cellular connection]. Since I'm rural, I have no way to get cable or wired high speed.

The speed is fine for me except the devices I've been using do get confused easily when they move thru a complex site and then they just bog down and I get a 'too long to connect error'. So far only cure I've found is to disconnect the device and reconnect it without leaving the site and it's good to go again. It's faster than the Satellite connection I used to have but It's definitely not without it's frustrations.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Des View Post
    Because they measure speed between you and different servers.
    Speedtest.net at lets lets you choose which server.
    By default it chooses a nearby city, for me that would be China and bandwidth to mainland China from HK is crap, much lower than to East Coast USA, for instance. So I choose LA as my reference.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like many, mine's nowhere near what the spec says.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Verizon DSL at .64 Mb/s down and .12 Mb/s up, which is good enough for what I need to do. Verizon keeps encouraging me to change to FIOS but I don't want to give up my copper wire telephone service. It still works even if there is an extended power outage.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is mine:

What I'm paying for: 60 down and 4 up.

This is what I get:

I don't mind the download but the upload...
    The best subscription is 120 down and 5 up, so...
    Last edited by Eggy; 12th Feb 2013 at 09:42.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking at the speeds from European posters, U.S. citizens are getting screwed big time. Bill Clinton promised us highspeed internet in every household at the turn of the century but the only way you get that if you live in the country like me is to pay out the ass for satellite internet. The government is in cahoots with all the telecommunications companies so they won't force them to run cable lines a few more miles down the road or force the satellite companies to stop raping poor people who live in the country and give them the same deals as cable customers who live in the city. I was getting slow ass DSL when I first moved to the country but I moved 3/4 of a mile down the road (closer to town) and lost that. Now I'm forced to pay $90 a month for Exede satellite internet. My speeds are superfast compared to the Windstream DSL that I had. I was lucky to get 1.5Mbps on a good night. I'm paying for 12Mbps but usually get around 21Mbps which is faster than I was getting with Cox cable. The only problem is that I can only use 15GB of bandwidth per month (which is nowhere close to what I'm used to using) or have to buy more bandwidth. From midnight to 5 a.m I get unlimited bandwidth so that's when I'm usually online if I don't fall asleep waiting for midnight to get here. When I first got Cox cable in 2001, I was getting 21Mbps but Cox started charging in tiers and cut me down to 12Mbps and then tried to tell me that I never got 21Mbps with them. There are some old speedtests around here somewhere that show me as fast as 24Mbps with them. Alright, I'm done bitchin'.

Here is the best bandwidth speedtest...

http://testmy.net/

Don't use the quicktest but a decent sized file (12MB) to get the most accurate reading.

12Mbps is the U.S. average which is way lower than our European posters.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    Looking at the speeds from European posters, U.S. citizens are getting screwed big time.
    Definitely.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i pay about $40 (DSL and phone) package, probably a bad deal but everything else is much higher price

Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM

I pay for 105/20

A_L
    Quote Quote