VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What do you think will be the next medium after blu-ray?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think it will be still a disc form larger than blu-ray,i think holography storage is away in the future and digital down required for 4k will be way to big for regular download capping a lot of peoples download bandwidth for the month.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm hoping for decent streaming, and good access to The Imperial Library of the Galactic Empire (or equivalent) - then we won't have to hoard our individual copies of everything. How many watched-once disc sets are in your basement?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think probably some kind of high capacity flash memory.

Although affordable memory sticks that could hold 50gbs or more like a dual layer bluray will probably not happen in the near future I think that might be what hollywood might want.

I mean read only memory sticks. They would take up less space on the store shelves. They could put them in boxes like the ps vita or 3ds uses and still have the movie name and picture on them but take up less space.

But only a guess.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got an affordable 128GB memory stick here...
    BUT... it's USB2 so might not work for 4k films
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    probably bigger BR discs....they are already out but are way to expensive to be practical...i can actually envision almost all of the above being present...ahhh the choices
    Quote Quote  
  6. I guess you mean for movies, i.e. 4k or UHD, whatever it's going to be called. I can't imagine any great need for a new, higher capacity storage medium otherwise. Plain data of course can be readily spanned across multiple BD25s and/or stored on ever-cheaper hard drive space.

Remember when Blu-Ray was first getting off the ground? There were articles about multiple layers past two. Just the other day someone posted on the AVS forum one such article from 2006 about TDK working on 200 GB BDs. Guess the poster didn't notice the date of the article.

Anyway, why not? That would seem to be the most likely solution. Perhaps it wasn't pursued more vigorously because 50 GB is plenty for 1080p movies, with room to spare for extras and lossless audio. In fact, many times a 1080p main movie will fit on a BD25.

So let's assume the new HEVC (H265) is approximately twice as efficient as AVC (H264). I've seen that figure bandied about here and there. A 4k movie could just about fit a BD50 without extras using HEVC, and leaving aside a possible color space upgrade or other changes. Surely another two layers would be ample?

There have been rumors of the Blu-ray Association working on amendments addressing just those changes. Viz: HEVC, 4k/UHD, color space (I'd like to see a worthwhile upgrade while they're at it), and just maybe, increased layers/capacity.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    BDXL discs will hold 100-128 gb, and we already have burners that can handle them, like the Pioneer 207MBK. I've seen the 100gb blank discs for sale, but not the 128.

You would need updated players of course.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I think it will be a small chip you drop into a socket your dentist implants in a molar and will deliver the content directly to your brain.
    An advancement of this will be made by two mid-20s Hippie wanna-be, dropped out of University in their 2nd term that allows sharing content by holding hands.
    But, I selected "Disc form larger than blu-ray in capacity" because I think the technology will have problems gaining acceptance since many people fear the dentist.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Media, schmedia. It's going to die. And I don't like it either. They've been wanting to stream music and video for years and they'll be doing it before too long.

There's much talk about 4K nowadays. But virtually nothing about a successor to Bluray. Doesn't that tell you something?

And what exactly is the point of having 4 times the resolution if you can't even see all the detail on your 1080p set now? BTW if you're sitting at the average distance (9 feet or so) and have 20/20 vision, if your screen is less than 70", that means you.
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Laserdisc-SIZED Blu-Rays. Seriously --- I don't understand the "non-plus-ultra" fixation with the "Compact-Disc size" . Especially now that the USB technology has made the external mass-storage devices a *non-problem*.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    laserdisc was my first thought also :O

one of the things that drive customers in stores is the packaging. the dvd/blurays, that is. but if you take that away via streaming content as the next medium, then long story short, you have lots of stores closing because most of the real estate is those dvds/blurays that keep customers browsing in those isles which keeps those stores looking busy. so i am guessing that the next medium will be some form of credit card size chip, where you slide you card in the redbox (or whatever they call these boots these days) make you selection(s) and go home, slide card into your new 5-in-1 medium box and this transfers the contents into your media's 100hr/500hr/1000hr system hdd.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    And what exactly is the point of having 4 times the resolution if you can't even see all the detail on your 1080p set now? BTW if you're sitting at the average distance (9 feet or so) and have 20/20 vision, if your screen is less than 70", that means you.
    Yes, there's no need for >1080p in the home (except those that need to brag). It's just all the manufacturers looking for something new to sell.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Yes, there's no need for >1080p in the home (except those that need to brag). It's just all the manufacturers looking for something new to sell.
    They do it every time the economy is bad. Anyone remember the first CD players that came out just after the big '81 recession? Junk. They sounded terrible.

If anyone doubts that, look up the vintage hifi market. CD players made in about the first 5 years are impossible to sell. they're paperweights.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And here's a really good article on the new 4K standard:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2013/01/high-definition-tv
    Quote Quote  
  15. constant gardener: I like your idea. Ideally whatever show that one wants to watch, no matter what Country it airs in should be available for people around the world to watch when they want to watch it. Lets say a current Britcom, if one lives in Canada or the United States for that matter, we should not have to wait for it to be released on DVD or for some channel to eventually air it in our Country, we should be able to watch for a fee of course so it is worth their while to offer us access. There are some pretty good comedy shows that just don't get picked up over here in North America. I think too that lets say there are several British Shows that one likes and Amazon UK has them on at a great price compared to what the retailers offer them for over here, there should be a legal way to pay for and download them to watch to save on a bunch of import fees that might take away most of the savings of the better price.

I like the idea of some giant collection of every movie and tv show that is legal and fit to watch, that one can select and have streamed to their tv of choice; and it shouldn't matter where it is originally broadcast. As for media itself for storage, with the advances in nanotechnology just about anything is possible. I would say Flash Media is what my guess would be.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I voted for streaming - only because this is what the movie industry wants. They don't want to sell you a movie that you can watch over and over, lend to a friend and even resell. The content owners want to charge you money every time you watch their content. They want to maintain control. Streaming via things like cable or Internet pay-per-view are the entertainment industry's holy grail.

That being said, I'm sure the industry is working on the next storage standard - likely an extension of Blu-ray. There will always be a market for bigger and bigger storage. Things like flash memory are not likely to beat the cost per gigabyte of optical storage. While it's true that you can buy a high capacity flash drive pretty cheap these days, the mass production of stamped optical media will always be lower.
    Quote Quote