Poll: Are you upgrading to windows 8?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Q: Are you upgrading to windows 8?
    A: Hell no.

I want to use a computer, not fight it or trick it into doing what I want.

I've started to adopt more OS X and Xubuntu, when Windows wasn't needed.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. I just recently installed the Release Candidate, mostly because I figure Microsoft will force it on everyone, and I'll have to learn it eventually. It seems a little faster (although I haven't installed many programs on it yet), but the UI sucks. This OS has a newer and even more annoying UAC system, where, even if you disable UAC, you still won't have true administrative access. After a google search, I found a registry hack to actually disable it, but then found that most of the built-in "(not) metro" apps won't work without UAC (not even the new app store button works). Why, oh why does Microsoft torture us? And, to make matters worse, the old games that came bundled with older versions of Windows (such as solitaire), aren't available on 8. You can't even import these games from eg. 7 without hacking them (instructions on how to do so can be found on Google).

I do, however, like the fact that Windows comes bundled with anti-malware software, a new and improved Windows Defender, which combines the "old" Windows Defender with MS Security Essentials, doing the job of both programs. I should add that this program works fine, even without UAC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Vista is ok except for the uac control thing. If thats what its called I think. A little overprotective of itself. I suppose there is a way to totally disable it (I think I did but norton kept screaming at me so I put it back on if I remembered right).
    Vista and Seven work much the same, IIRC. UAC is easy enough to turn off. And if there are any problems with permissions or whatever, activating the hidden administrator will give full control. It's funny how the nominal administrator isn't really, and it annoyed me when I first set up Seven. But I haven't had to fool with the hidden administrator since that one time shortly after installing. I deactivated it once the problems were sorted out.

I get what you're saying about AV. I had Avast on this machine for a little while, and it was much more intrusive than the versions I used on XP. It complained about UAC, and wanted to sandbox everything. So I uninstalled it and just connect to the net through a VM. If the VM stuffs up, I just burn it down. Delete the folder and replace it with a copy, a matter of a few minutes.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been reading about Microsoft's future plans for its operating systems, and while I don't like the changes to the UI at all, I've resigned myself to upgrading from Windows 7 eventually. There are things I don't like about the alternatives, Linux or Apple, that make them even more unappealing. Microsoft is committed to its current path and is likely never going to go back to the classic Windows desktop user interface. I do think Microsoft needs to rename the OS, because in the future they envision there won't be any new software that runs in a window.

Microsoft views the desktop as another app that allows users to run their old software. You can even return to the start menu by closing it like any other app. The plan is for new software to be written as a Windows 8-style tiled app so it can run on smartphones and tablets with a Microsoft OS.

Microsoft has removed various things that were included with Window 7, like Games or Media Center, and is allowing users to decide if they want to install and pay for them. The people who don't want these things are probably fine with that. The ones that do use them now (me, for example) don't like the idea of paying extra for them. Since the EU keeps fining Microsoft for including various things for free as the default program for that purpose (first browsers, and now security software), maybe it is time to stop including anything beyond the basic OS, particularly in the EU.

My sister will hate me when I upgrade. She uses Windows XP at home. When she visits, she likes to use my computer for playing games and checking email. She can use Windows 7 without a problem. Teaching her how to use Windows 8 for these things will not be fun. When I described the changes to her she didn't like them either and said she would never use Windows 8. I said when you buy your next computer, you may not have a choice. She told me their current computer, purchased in 2006, was going to be the last one. I should have asked her what she planned to use instead of a computer. A smart TV maybe?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Sep 2012 at 19:30. Reason: clarity.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi

Vista and Seven work much the same, IIRC. UAC is easy enough to turn off. And if there are any problems with permissions or whatever, activating the hidden administrator will give full control. It's funny how the nominal administrator isn't really, and it annoyed me when I first set up Seven. But I haven't had to fool with the hidden administrator since that one time shortly after installing. I deactivated it once the problems were sorted out.

I get what you're saying about AV. I had Avast on this machine for a little while, and it was much more intrusive than the versions I used on XP. It complained about UAC, and wanted to sandbox everything. So I uninstalled it and just connect to the net through a VM. If the VM stuffs up, I just burn it down. Delete the folder and replace it with a copy, a matter of a few minutes.
    Thanks fritzi.

I might have misremembered the bit about norton. It might have been windows itself nagging me about uac. I can't be sure. But they probably BOTH complained

Oh well.

Its not a perfect world but at least we have alternatives. I mean we COULD switch to MAC. I WON'T unless MS goes so over the board with win 8 and beyond that I lose my mind. However I started with dos.whatever and just the thought of abandoning it doesn't seem right.

But like others here have suggested or hoped that with win 9 they'll retreat a step or two and "noramlize" windows again.

@usually_quiet - I hope MS isn't hell bent on abandoning the core windows treatment. Though I guess we are all along for the ride and have to take it.

There is of course linux or mac I suppose. But I don't know if I could ever make the switch on a long term basis.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have W7 on most all my PCs. My Asus netbook is the only PC running an older OS, XP.

Since I bought a new laptop recently and a upgrade was included, I may upgrade it to W8, but no reason other than checking out a newer OS. W7 had some improvements over Vista and XP, but it also added a lot of 'MS crapware' that made the OS very inefficient and slower. If you have a slower PC, stay away from Vista, W7, and likely W8. JMHO.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have an Atom/ION Acer Revo (4GB RAM and a 60GB SSD) that I might give it a spin on. My laptop is too old, and my Intel boxes run Win7 just fine (I'm addicted to MCE).
    Quote Quote  
  8. No I won't downgrade to this ... thing !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    in the future they envision there won't be any new software that runs in a window.
    It's their funeral.

They'll essentially lose all tech developers and advanced users that haven't already bailed for Mac or Linux. I need to run multiple programs in non-fullscreen modes at all times. Quite a few people are the same way.

Entire industries/niches will bail on Windows after that happens, mean even less Windows users.

Mac already played that "we know better than you" game, and lost badly at it. (Hint: video workflows.)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think all the big tech companies foresee a future with more subscription-based software, and cloud-based computing where thin clients and tablets have largely replaced desktops and laptops. Windows 8 is intended to get more people moving in that direction.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    right now.. i'm working on a programming project, an ms access database, web surfing, and watching tv in a window, and a few other apps running--sometimes excel, calc, notepad and some command line tools, etc.

so here's the full details of my current scenario:

while working on the project, i need to have a browser window open so i can surf around and also to help me find/resolve a few programming problems in a few routines i desporately need to get working. also, while doing that, (because the app incorporates a database) i have ms access open and running so i can test how to work with opening/reading/writing tables and queries for that app. i also need to have excel readily avail so i can run some quick imports/edits/fixes of the test databases for that app, and i also need notepad in case i have copy/past a few things for different scenarios, and having calc readily avail doesn't hurt since its more quicker than excel when i just need to add/subtract a few things, all this, and for luxury sake, i am watching some tv shows. it helps me stay sain in these developing situations.

so, can i do that in win8 ?

or, do i have to open a developing window (if that even exist in win8 os) and if i have to search for info to help me in my project, do i have to close that app first, and then open a web browser ? and do i have close down the web browser and/or the developing window to open ms access database (if it even comes with one) and then i should close down that the developing window or that web browser or the ms access database, if i want to watch some tv.

or, do i need to have five computers and 5 win8 os's, just so i can have the necessary multi-tasking setup ?

or, should i resign myself from all these skills i spent most of my life learning ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. You can continue what you're doing with legacy apps. Not with Win8 apps.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    No, 98SE was the best 9x. "ME" was the crap one.
    I will give you that ME was the crap one, I did not remember the exact names as it's been a long time, but I don't know if I would go as far as saying 98SE was the best version of 98.

But then compared to XP I am amazed I never destroyed any of my PC's back in the day when 98 was new!!
    I remember day's when I wanted to push my PC though the wall behind it after upgrading from 95!!
    LOL!!

Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    @Noahtuck:

[ Vista with SP2 ] + some "improvements" + 2 spoonfuls of glorification = Windows 7

Oh yes, Windows 7 can boot faster than Windows Vista, but not before I run a general clean-up on the stupid defaults of the Task Scheduler.
    All I can say is, I have had less problems with W7 and like it much better than I ever did with Vista!!

I still run 1 old school single core PC with XP Pro and my other 2 have W7 Ultimate 64bit and so do my 3 children's PC's.
    And redwudz reminded me with his post, I also have an older SC laptop still running XP, I use it about once every 6 months so I tend to forget about it!!
    LOL!!

But I did wait for a year or two, at least a year, after W7 came out before upgrading to it and I do not see any possible scenario where I would ever use Vista for any reason.

Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Vista and Seven work much the same, IIRC. UAC is easy enough to turn off. And if there are any problems with permissions or whatever, activating the hidden administrator will give full control.
    Yep, I was thinking the same thing when I read yoda's post, it is the very first thing I turn off completely when I install W7, and I also learned how to turn it off in Vista ASAP!!!!
    LOL!!

Are you sure you want to install this Antivirus ?
    Are you sure you want to install firefox ?
    Are you sure you want to install anything not made by us (M$) ?!?!
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by noahtuck
    Are you sure you want to install anything not made by us (M$) ?!?!
    Actually you joke about that but its even worse than that - it didn't think the OFFICIAL pc wireless adapter for the MICROSOFT xbox 360 controller adapter WAS IN FACT MICROSOFT! I mean it couldn't verify its own product - DOH!

But it did install but I did find that funny that a MICROSOFT product wasn't being accepted by microsoft - go figure
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not planning on upgrading to that steaming pile of dog-doo in the near future. Of the four boxes I use, two have Win 7 (work laptop, own laptop, am fine with it), one has Vista (primary desktop, it runs fine) and one has XP (ancient, seldom used, couple of bits of legacy software, hardware and games). I will get a new desktop next year, and will put Win 7 it (or possibly linux).

Don't like the new fisher-price interface, don't like the restrictions on how it can run (can't boot into desktop etc), and don't like the way it thinks Microsoft knows better than me how I should work, and presumes I am incompetent to actually administer my own box. Was keen on the idea for a tablet until I actually saw it, now it won't get a look in there either - it's either iOS or Android (much more likely) for the job.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Chopmeister View Post
    Don't like the new fisher-price interface, don't like the restrictions on how it can run (can't boot into desktop etc), and don't like the way it thinks Microsoft knows better than me how I should work, and presumes I am incompetent to actually administer my own box. Was keen on the idea for a tablet until I actually saw it, now it won't get a look in there either - it's either iOS or Android (much more likely) for the job.
    So it's bad even as Tablet OS?
    Quote Quote