VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Who fixes your computer when it has problems?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I fix my computer hardware and software.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Fix it myself. And for many people I know.

I would expect most members here do the same.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been fixing my own computer(s) since 1996
    Quote Quote  
  5. Always fixed my own computers going back to my Amiga 500 days. Started building my PCs in 2001, shortly before joining this forum. Fix my friends and families computers and fix and build computers as a side business whenever possible. Also teach computer skill when I can.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't really know if this poll is going to get much of a varied response on this site lol
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Same ... get systems other so called techs can't fix and utterly messed up by them ... half the time I only need to put the toolbox in front of the offending system and it behaves ... just have that magic touch
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    100% 0% 0% 0% 0%. Yeah a little one-sided. Ditto with the fixing it, building it yourself.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ditto....fix it myself and for friends/family as a side business....
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.5 ;

Me, me, me, me.

And me too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz View Post
    ditto....fix it myself and for friends/family as a side business....
    Same here ... I earn a little pocket money doing this ... my local newspaper ... many months ago ... had an article about technicians doing work on peoples PCs ... the bad news was ... a technician has to be licensed to go to a persons house and work on a PC ... good news is if they bring it to you ... no license is required ... hopefully this is true ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    outpost dem me 3
    Quote Quote  
  13. Someone should probably close this thread, given the poll results, this is turning into a big, group ego stroking session lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    robjv1 totally agree with you there before they start discussing how to build an antenna with two bits of copper wire and bamboo not to mention there soldering iron skills lol
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Blackadder.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do it myself and have been doing it myself since the 70's. I buy cases and parts and construct them myself as well.

Now that I think about it, I have cars, motorcycles a truck as well as a house and I have never had anyone else fix or work on anything I own.

I do take advice from others, but I always do it myself. Like mentioned above, I also do stuff for others.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Me, myself and I.

If I don't fix it, it stays broken.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 17th Sep 2012 at 11:32.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    “I fix it myself” and “I get online help to fix my computer” (reading up on symptoms) often go together for me.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I fix my own, and a few others, perhaps not surprising after growing up with Heathkits. I wonder what inspires youngsters to play with hardware now - Arduino or Raspberry Pi? (If you haven't, you should. Cheap thrills.)
    Quote Quote  
  20. I fix it myself after seeing how much you can get rip off by repair shop people
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by laslarry View Post
    I fix it myself after seeing how much you can get rip off by repair shop people
    Yeah, that too.

Same reason I won't let the dopes at a stealership work on my motorcycle. It's bad enough to be overcharged, but when the work isn't done properly anyway...Still gotta take it in for inspection yearly, but otherwise they aren't gonna get near it.

But there's more. It can get to be an enjoyable hobby in itself, whether it's fixing computers or whatever.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just log on to this website and follow whatever the nice guys here say. Believe it or not it worked most of the time.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can fix computer hardware problems as long as they only require replacing components. I don't own the equipment or have the training for testing circuits or soldering. I do OK with software problems. I will admit that I rely heavily on Google. The Internet is a very good resource for teaching yourself and finding answers to technical questions.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, been doing myself since soldering chips with a DIY kit back in 1984. Wife wasn't too happy with $1500 I spent, we were newly married. At least it gave her a taste of things to come. That was for chips, mb, cpu (8086?), mem (64k?), case and a single 5 1/4" floppy drive. Added another floppy (woohooo! OS on one, games on the other!). Forget how much the monitor was... Went to a 20MB hard drive about a year later for well over $200 bucks. But damn, was it worth it.

Anyway, been doing my own stuff, family, friends and a few customers here and there since.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote