VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all, not really "Capturing" but I couldn't find a more appropriate forum.

I powered up my 5700 today after a couple of months off and was presented with it cycling through SVHS mode, as per the attachment. The machine immediately powered up into this; I didn't "turn it on", and it wouldn't respond to the power button when I tried to turn it off. I pulled the power a couple of times but it powered up again in the same state.

The VCR will not take a tape: I could get it in so the outside edge of the tape was flush with the front face of the VCR but it wouldn't go any further ( I didn't "push" it ). There was no mechanical noise or activity coming from the insides of the machine.

Would be very grateful if anybody has any suggestions about how to tackle this.

Thanks!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm...
    At the same time, one of my other reliable VCRs wouldn't eject a tape (it would flash "Eject" but not do anything. I then put a circuit tester on my mains power line used for the VCRs and the system voltage was 234v.

It's now up at 237v and both VCRs are now working normally. Could it have been the low voltage? Our nominal voltage is 240v.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think so. Most expect 220~240.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    This is clearly a cassette eject mechanism problem, You need to open the lid and make sure there is no tape inside, insert a cassette and push it gently and see what happens. If the eject motor doesn't spin it could be a loose belt, a cracked gear or a faulty motor.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried the JVC again (with 240v), initially same issue so I pulled the top off and pushed in a tape. It loaded properly, played Ok and ejected Ok a few times so I guess it was a sticky something. The little motor on the right was driving it's belt Ok (I assume that's the Eject motor). Thanks @Dellsam.

[Attachment 78381 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's common problem that those belts go loose even when it looks working, When loose the motor spins but the cassette-loaded sensor doesn't sense the tape on the mechanism bed so it throws a code.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the belts done last year but if it plays up again, I'll replace that one again. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If the belt is good, I would be looking for dry grease on the basket rails where it slides down, Also sometimes if the cassette is pushed in at an angle it will get stuck and cannot go further or back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Those motors fail a lot on certain models.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote