VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i had captured videos from my miniDV tapes (panasonic nv-gs400) in 2005, and stored those files on a WD250 IDE drive. at the time, i had been able to play those files using quicktime.

i'd since removed the HD from my pc and recently plugged it in via an external USB enclosure. i wanted to copy the files to my pc's internal drive, but the connection dropped. so, i connected the HD back inside my pc, and tried to play some of the files using realplayer (v10.5), but i get this error:

"Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported."

when i click the "More Info" button, i get this:

"This is an infrequently occurring error message, and therefore we have not provided a solution in this list."

i'm able to play videos that i've currently made with the same camcorder and captured using the same WinDV.
    i suspect the drive is somehow corrupt, but i'm not sure how to verify and/or fix.

i downloaded GSpot (v2.70a) to analyze the file, and here's what i get:

Container
    File Type: Raw DV - IEC 61834 (.DV)
    Mime Type: video/DV

Video
    Codec DV/DVC
    Name (IEC 61834)
    Status Codec STatus Undetermined

i've tried playing the files in other players (VLC, VirtualDub, WMM -- which hung, and QT), and none gave me as much info as GSpot.

searching for the error code 0x80040265, i found a post (https://forum.videohelp.com/topic325954.html) that suggests the hard drive may be corrupt -- any way to verify and/or fix this?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you might try right clicking on the drive icon, selecting properties/tools/error checking and put a check in both boxes. if it can't fix the broken files, then you could try file recovery software like "recovery my files" most are payware though.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sounds like you originally used a Quicktime-based application. Quicktime stores DV files either as .mov or raw DV (.dv).

With WinDV, you capture and save using the DirectShow system, usually as an .avi file.

Our Enosoft DV Processor can read and write raw DV format files. You can either just play them in window (full-screen if necessary) or you can convert them.

If you want to convert them, post back and I'll provide hints on how to maximize the speed.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    *sigh

thanks, guys!

it seems that i'd forgotten my mobo (or ide connector, or something there) is bad... i remember fighting with my pc over this years ago, too. here's what i've found -- connected internally, if i copy a known good *.avi file to the drive, that file no longer plays. likewise copying a file from the drive.

when i connect the drive externally, files can play. if i copy a known good file to the drive while it's externally connected, that file still plays. however, the same file that i had copied while the drive was internally connected is still corrupt.

i put the drive back in the external USB enclosure and plugged it in to a different USB port, and the connection didn't drop this time. i'm able to copy the files off the drive, and the files are playable both off and on.

this isn't a video player issue; it's a mobo/pc issue which i'll ignore (again)...

@aedipuss -- i'd run a scan on the drive using drive recovery software, but it'd returned nothing

@JohnnyMalaria -- i'd captured the files originally using WinDV. QT was just one program i remember for sure that i'd used to play the files successfully (back in 2005).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    have you tried a new 80 pin ide cable? they're cheap and may "fix" the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh yeah, while in there, check the pins on the motherboard ide connector to make sure one isn't bent over or pushed down through the bottom of the m.b.
    Quote Quote