VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi - I have a couple of external 500gb drives filled with movies in avi/divx/xvid format Right now I have my computer connected to my TV and I can watch through it, but what I'd REALLY love is if they made a standalone DIVX player that had a USB input that I could hook the drives up to and control the playing from it. Does anybody know if such a thing exists? Thanks a lot for the help...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Philips DVP-5960, and 5982. Read the threads regarding them here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Not sure is this can help you.
    E-Boda DVX 777 USB.
    http://www.e-boda.ro/produs.php?prod=62&cale=1
    (the page is only in romanian, sorry)

Being made by a romanian company, is available only in Romania (Eastern Europe). Can read:
    - DVD, DivX 4.xx, 5.xx and 6.0
    - a lot of subtitle formats (for DivX)
    - discs: DVD or CD
    - card
    - USB

The price is around 130$.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also take a look at the Oppo models. They have a good reputation but aint the cheapest.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked on the Philips site for the specs and it says:

Simply plug your device into the USB port on your Philips DVD system. Your digital music and photos will be played directly from the device. Now you can share your favorite moments with family and friends.

Does anyone know if it plays videos off a USB drive as well as music and photos? Has anybody done this?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by markienyc
    I looked on the Philips site for the specs and it says:

Simply plug your device into the USB port on your Philips DVD system. Your digital music and photos will be played directly from the device. Now you can share your favorite moments with family and friends.

Does anyone know if it plays videos off a USB drive as well as music and photos? Has anybody done this?
    Yes, both the 5960 and 5982 can play Divx and Xvid AVI, MPG and VOB files off the hard drive. There are some limitations though: only 8.3 filenames, limited folder depth, bitrates above ~3000 kbps will stutter, Xvid's 3 warp point GMC won't play properly, MPG aspect ratio flags seem to be ignored. You won't find any standalone DVD player that's as flexible in video playback as a PC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. With the Philips player, as long as your HD's are formated FAT or FAT32 you are OK. They will not read a NTFS drive. I have both are they are great....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everybody - I really appreciast it :P
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For those of you who have the Philips - do you know if you can attach more than one USB External drive (like on a hub)?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="markienyc"]what I'd REALLY love is if they made a standalone DIVX player that had a USB input that I could hook the drives up to and control the playing from it. Does anybody know if such a thing exists? quote]

Lots of them. From relative low cost SD players to high end Hi-Def players. Google for Tvix, Tomarco, Mvix, Mediagate, Eureka....to many to name.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by markienyc
    For those of you who have the Philips - do you know if you can attach more than one USB External drive (like on a hub)?
    Yes, they do. Pressing the USB button on the remote cycles through them.

Another word of warning: external USB hard drives that get their power from the USB port usually don't work. The players can't supply enough power. The drives will require their own power supply.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So basically, if you use a hub, use a powered hub.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's also the RCA DRC285. It's pretty cheap, and the buttons on the remote are packed way too close together. But as a bonus, it does have limited support for playback of some .wmv files.
    Quote Quote