VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I normally use BDRB for most stuff, but lately the x264.exe that it uses for some odd reason is crashing while encoding and I get this error message:

[Attachment 48075 - Click to enlarge]

So, I tried using the CMD line using the x264.exe that JD uses in his subfolder. Same thing. Weird... never happened before. So, I thought I'd try DLing the newest version of x264 for Windows 64 and use the CMD line. Well, it LOOKS like it is running just fine, BUT... in this case, the CMD window is NOT showing the rather important parameters that the older version did show. Mainly, showing the percentage of the file done (which is important because that gives me some idea as to the resulting file size) and also the estimated time left is not showing. So, I have NO bloody idea how large the file size is going to be or how long the encode is going to take.

So, if anyone can kindly help me to understand both why running the version x264 that I've ALWAYS used in BDRB or in the CMD line causes this prompt, or at least WHY the newest version of x264 does not show these important parameters in the CMD window (or perhaps what I may need to add to the instructions TO show it) that would be great!

This is the version I'm using: x264-r2935-545de2f

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Does DBRB use x264 for directly opening e.g. an avs script? The crash could be a problem with AviSynth/its plugins/the source, not the core x264 library. (Then again, I think it should show the percentage in that case. Percentage usually isn't shown if you pipe or use lavf input and aren't using --frames argument.)

Upload DBRB log.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is the app 32 or 64-bit?
    If it uses avisynth or any scripting tool, is it 32 or 64-bit?

Because if you mix it, they crash. I had the experience with x264-64bit and avisynth-32bit, it crashes, return errors for unknown reason, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by amaipaipai View Post
    x264-64bit and avisynth-32bit, it crashes, return errors for unknown reason, etc.
    Because of a bit architecture, it does not work, you have to have some sort of buffer in between.
    Like:
    Code:
    avs4x26x.exe -L x264-64bit.exe --crf 18 --output out.264 input_32bit_avisynth.avs
    or
    Code:
    avfs.exe  input_32bit_avisynth.avs
    taht avfs.exe is 32bit version , it creates a virtual avi and that could be fed to any 64bit app
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Originally Posted by amaipaipai View Post
    x264-64bit and avisynth-32bit, it crashes, return errors for unknown reason, etc.
    Because of a bit architecture, it does not work, you have to have some sort of buffer in between.
    Like:
    Code:
    avs4x26x.exe -L x264-64bit.exe --crf 18 --output out.264 input_32bit_avisynth.avs
    or
    Code:
    avfs.exe  input_32bit_avisynth.avs
    taht avfs.exe is 32bit version , it creates a virtual avi and that could be fed to any 64bit app
    Thank you for the info!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, thanks to all of you very much! I actually did figure out from another thread, as Sneaker mentions above, that I do need to add --frames [number of frames] in the CMD line and then it DOES indeed show the percentage done and time remaining, so that's nice.

However, strangely, even with the latest 264.exe above my system gave the same error during encoding. I'm thinking that maybe this is some kind of heat issue...??? This is going to be a real drag if I cannot encode with x264 anymore...

Thanks though for all your help!
    Quote Quote