VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've never had a problem with SVC2DVD v2 until a few days ago. I had just updated WinXP to SP3, when I received the following:

Version: SVCD2DVD 2.1
    Build: 2.1.2278.16886

Type: System.UnauthorizedAccessException

Source: mscorlib

Message: Access to the path "G:\My Videos\Star Trek-(Episode 61 - Spectre of the Gun)_S2D.mpg" is denied.

InnerException:

StackTrace: at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
    at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
    at x3284ccece41ee22b.xd3764d4f1e921081.x2e6504f39decc 498()
    at x3284ccece41ee22b.xd3764d4f1e921081.xf81783e1b359f fc3()

This upgrade has also affected other video related programs such as BeyondTV. Is there some explanation/fix for the newfound errors?

Thanks,

Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The latest version should be ok with SP3...
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ChrissyBoy
    The latest version should be ok with SP3...
    I'm still trying to fix this problem. Since updating WinXP to SP3, SVCD2DVD has started creating some of its intermediate working files (e.g filename_S2D) as read only. Then when it goes to create the VIDEO_TS files, it can't access the file it needs and generates the following error message:

Type: System.UnauthorizedAccessException
    Source: mscorlib
    Message: Access to the path "G:\My Videos\Star Trek-(Episode 61 - Spectre of the Gun)_S2D.mpg" is denied.

If I sit there and babysit it while it's running and change it from read only, it works fine, but it's a pain in the backside to have to do that. How can I prevent the _S2D file from being made "read-only"?

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone out there know of an alternative to SVCD2DVD? I want a package that is SUPPORTED with respect to technical issues. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  5. This product IS supprted, your problem is not with SVCD2DVD, but with the Windows update. I have been having the same error off and on with files being made read only. I also have a Vista PC that it is happening on as well and it's not exclusive to S2D files. Be sure you know where your problem lies before assessing blame.
    Dwight

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

www.martialconcepts.com
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look Dwight! I am simply a user, not a software developer. In the time since my original post (and follow up) I have received 2 replies. Both say "it's not our problem" but not offering any suggestions. Can those who know how the program is supposed to perform suggest a solution...or just shrug and hope I'll go away? I usually go with freeware where I don't expect any help. I bought this package and get the same level of support. That's Not good business and I complain and assign blame to whomever I want until some responsible person steps up with some useful input. Are YOY that responsible person? If you're not that person, then shut up and ignore my post like the other 360 viewers of it have done. I asked for an alternative to this package...not a lecture from you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    scoop - you were given an answer by the author of the program. did you do as you were told? update to the latest version?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. scoop46-

Just because one is a software developer doesn't mean that they are to help with the ins and outs of ALL your problems. CB did not write windows or the service pack you applied, which is what started your problems.
    This upgrade has also affected other video related programs such as BeyondTV
    Upgrading to the latest release did fix your problem as CB suggested it would, you now have another problem occuring that is not S2D related and are expecting CB to fix it also - how is he to do that when the error is not with his program?

As I said, I have this problem from time to time as well and have not found the fix as yet - it really isn't a widespread issue. It also isn't an issue with S2D.

I bought this package and get the same level of support. That's Not good business and I complain and assign blame to whomever I want until some responsible person steps up with some useful input. Are YOY that responsible person? If you're not that person, then shut up and ignore my post like the other 360 viewers of it have done.
    This kind of attitude will get you nowhere for two reasons:
    1. I offered you help from my experience and to try and direct you to something that might help - your response is to tell me to shut up. With such a flowery nature about you, who do you think will help you further?
    2. Assigning blame willy-nilly is just stupid and will also get you nowhere, and will lead to you being further ignored. The problem is not inherent to S2D, so why not post in a more appropriate forum for your Windows Update induced error?
    Dwight

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

www.martialconcepts.com
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mike -

Just curious - do you have Windows XP Media Center Edition? SP3 does not have a real good track record running on Windows XP MCE - I cannot get it to install properly on my Win XP MCE computer - even after wiping the hard drive clean and installing everything from scratch. I am still using SP2 on my WinXP MCE computer. SP3 installs and runs great on my Win XP Home and my Win XP Pro computers.

My suggestion - especially if you are having so many issues with SP3 - is to uninstall it. It is not a required update, it adds no new functionality to Windows XP, and not having it installed does not prohibit you from getting other security updates from Microsoft. If life was good prior to SP3, go back to SP2.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, it could be one of two thing's 1) It could be security error were an operating system denies access because of an I/O. 2) Or it could be a NET problem, do you have 2008 Net Framework 3.5 or 2005 Net Framework 2.0 if not then you will need them both. I dont use Vista there is still to many bug's in the softeware I'll stick with Xp for now. Hope this help's if it does I want £20. lol
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all who responded (seriously, all of you). Yesterday I finally just removed SP3 and for now everything is back to normal. I think I need to scrub my hard drive and reinstall my OS. I'll readdress the SP3 issue when I have a more stable platform. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote