VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here is the problem...
    I have 120min on 2 dv tapes...
    I'm using nero vision 4 to capture the tapes into computer...
    I've selected DVD-video template with SP option for video...
    it says that with SP option there shuold be enough space on one DVD (4,7GB) for approx. 120 min of video...
    BUT, when I try to burn it I realize that there is noz enough place! there is place for only approx 1.5 hour! for audio I use option 2.0 AC3 and stereo with same results!
    so I'd like to have approx 120min of video in SP on one DVD (as SP definition states) but I can't
    I had win xp sp2 nero vision 4...
    then I tried to install Ulead workshop but with same results!
    Why SP mode don't satisfie 120min on a single DVD as it says it does?
    thx
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    all-in-one tools are not the best if you want to have full control. use a standalone mpeg encoder where you can set the exact output size like tmpgenc xpress, mainconcept mpeg encoder, canopus procoder basic.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a dedicated fan of TMPGEnc Plus. Using this bitrate calculator: http://dvd-hq.info/Calculator.html and and TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 encoding VBR I recently made the longest DVD I have done which was 97 minutes and it looks superb. I will admit that the type of video makes a difference. This was a tripod shot of a beauty pageant where the only motion was very slow side to side. With handheld shots it's a little trickier, but using a quality encoder and calculator you can still get extremely good results.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To make things easy and retain quality, the obvious answer is to use a dual layer DVD-9 disc.

Handheld camcorder footage needs "SP" or "HQ" because it is difficult to compress.

If this DV material was field acquired using a tripod and pan/zoom skills, then 80-100 min can still look good.

If the source was a captured 29.97 telecined NTSC film, then you could gain another 20 min using IVTC.

If the source was a captured 25 fps PAL film, you could probably get that extra 20 min with higher compression. For PAL, the extra 20% lines would result in higher compression artifacts at 120 min. for the same encoder vs. NTSC.

So back to the easy solution, spend $2 and use a dual layer blank with SP or HQ setting.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Another easy solution is a stand alone DVD recorder. The Panasonic units are pretty good at compressing upto near 3 hours of video on a single DVD-R with excellent quality (very hard to tell from a 2 hours or 1 hour disc).
    Using the PC to author a DVD longer than 2 hours, I always have to encode using half-D1 format to get decent video quality.
    ktnwin - PATIENCE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes I know! I have one of those... but I recently boutgh Fire wire for my PC cause I need some editing on my PC. till now I was doing it like this: record the material on dvd-RW on my standalone panasonic, copy that material into my computer, edit, and burn on DVD-R.
    I thought that I would now with fire wire cable could speed up this process and exonerate my panasonic (I saw these options SP LP in Nero Vision 4 earlier, and thought that it will be the same thing...I was obviously wrong )
    can I find somewhere a codec(or something) that my panasonic is using to make an SP in 120minutes of material of good quality, install it on my computer, and simulate my panasonics performance?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by htom
    can I find somewhere a codec(or something) that my panasonic is using to make an SP in 120minutes of material of good quality, install it on my computer, and simulate my panasonics performance?
    DVD recorders have filters, TBC, field stabilizers, etc... I think they can do a better job than software filters.
    Doesn't your Panasonic have firewire input?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes it does! and I use it! but, I can't do any serious editing on my standalone panasonic, so I must copy the material to a PC for that...
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK, now I understand.
    I can't figure out why you don't edit mpeg2 file generated by Panasonic in your PC.
    You can do this.
    You would waste only the time to copy from DVD to your PC.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends what kind of editing you need to do beyond simple cuts editing. If you prefer your DVD recorder's hardware encoding, consider this method:

1. Transfer your DV camcorder material to the computer using IEEE-1394.

2. Edit in DV project format. You can use fancy editors like Premiere or Vegas with all their sophisticated tricks.

3a. Once you've rendered all your filters and effects, you can play out the timeline to your external DVD Recorder over IEEE-1394 and encode/burn your DVD in realtime.

3b. Or you can use the computer's software MPeg2 encoder for non-realtime encoding and DVD authoring.

If you get better encoding software than Nero 4, you will find that computer encoding will get better results but the DVD recorder approach will save many encoding hours.

I still recommend minimum 7000 Kb/s average bitrate for handheld camcorder material for the above reasons. This works out to 80 minutes (compressed audio) or 70 minutes (LPCM audio) per DVD.
    https://www.videohelp.com/calc
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmm... it's an interestnig approach.. thx..
    but how di I do
    "3a. Once you've rendered all your filters and effects, you can play out the timeline to your external DVD Recorder over IEEE-1394 and encode/burn your DVD in realtime. "
    how can I play out the timeline? with what software?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by htom
    hmm... it's an interestnig approach.. thx..
    but how di I do
    "3a. Once you've rendered all your filters and effects, you can play out the timeline to your external DVD Recorder over IEEE-1394 and encode/burn your DVD in realtime. "
    how can I play out the timeline? with what software?
    Most editors will do this if your project format is DV. Some examples

Adobe Premiere Elements
    ULead Video Studio (use v8 or v9)
    Sony Vegas Movie Studio

The above are $60-99 consumer programs designed for DV format editing. You can often find better sale or rebate prices. Each has a more advanced prosumer level upgrade in the $300-800 range.

Each of the above programs will also include versions of the Mainconcept MPeg2 software encoder and basic DVD authoring capability. They are a good deal for the price. Each has a demo you can download.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK thx!
    I 've got Ulead studio with my firewire so I'll try that..
    Quote Quote  
  14. Once you capture DV video to the computer, then edit it, you can always output it back to a DVD recorder. Here is how I do this:
    1) connect digital camcorder to PC via Firewire (you have have done this to capture)
    2) connect analog S-video/audio out of the camcorder to the input AV of the DVD recorder
    3) use your editing software to MAKE MOVIE (to tape instead of DVD), the software will send DV video to the digital camcorder which in turn output analog AV to the DVD recorder.
    This method takes 1X time to get the job done.

You can also do this:
    1) use editing software to MAKE MOVIE (to tape), your digital camcorder will record it to tape
    2) next connect digcam to the DVD recorder (either Firewire or analog), play the digcam and record with DVD recorder
    The trouble with this method is the length of the movie is limited by the length of the tape. Also, it will take 2X times to get the job done.
    ktnwin - PATIENCE
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!