VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello All,

I've been helping out a family friend digitize some PAL VHS & VHS-C tapes over a consumer Panasonic VHS Player -> SCART -> Dazzle DVD Recorder -> MPEG.

Out of the 49 tapes, 4 of them have this weird distortion/smearing affect that travels left to right around the edges of objects (and often faces, or facial features). It's also strangely evident on the watermark of the date/timestamp.

Is this a knackered VHS tape (i.e can I do nothing about this) or can it be fixed somehow? What causes it?

[Attachment 62842 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 62843 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 62844 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. My guess: the tapes are SVHS (or recorded as SVHS when they weren't) and the pre-emphasis is causing overload on lightest parts. The trail is the overload recovery time.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yes those are S-VHS or S-VHS-C tapes, Can you post pictures of those tapes on the holes side?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi All,

No need to post photos. I can see the markings on the "bad" tapes being S-VHS-C.

Now I'm guessing my Panasonic NV-SD230 will not cut it?.. silly question.

My options are... get a better deck?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not just "better deck" but "better, SVHS deck".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Didn't specify whether you see this issue on normal playback with a tv or not. If you see it on the TV, it's the tape/VCR. If you don't, it's your capture setup.
    Quote Quote