VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. It worked for me when I used ConvertToXX for YV16, YUY2 (compare the same either YV16 vs. YV16 or YUY2 vs. YUY2 within avisynth) . I verified with other tests outside avisynth too , and all 3 ffms2 , lsmash, avisource (with drastic) matched up. I never tested directshow

Maybe something different with your test video ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. e.g

Code:
    A=AVISource("UYVY.avi",pixel_type="YUY2")

F=FFVideoSource("UYVY.avi").ConvertToYUY2()
    L=LWLibavVideoSource("UYVY.avi", format="YUV422P8").ConvertToYUY2()

Overlay(F,L, mode="Difference", pc_range=true)
    #Overlay(A,L, mode="Difference", pc_range=true)
    #Overlay(A,F, mode="Difference", pc_range=true)
    Levels(127, 1, 129, 0, 255, false)
    And I just change the F,L,A in the overlay to compare , or remove the ConvertToYUY2() if comparing as YV16 (and adding ConvertToYV16 to the AviSource line) . Basically compare YV16 to YV16 ; or YUY2 to YUY2 .

I think that's the difference you're seeing

My understanding is planar is preferred to packed, and faster to process . So all newer plugins, filters tend to output planar by default .

It might be .dll version related too - Maybe some behaviour differences
    Quote Quote  
  3. I can see the 1 value off by lsmash , in default mode, when you do not specify format = "YUV422P8" . Even though it's supposed to be returning YUY2 when you don't specify format, the values are off . Not sure why, but it's definitely wrong looking at Y,U,V color picker
    Quote Quote  
  4. The problem with LWlibavVideoSource appears to be its YUY2 output:
    Code:
    LWlibavVideoSource("8-bit uncompressed 422 UYVY .avi", format="YUY2")
    LWlibavVideoSource("8-bit uncompressed 422 UYVY .avi", format="YUV422P8").ConvertToYUY2()
    These two lines give different results. The former gives the problems I described earlier, the latter doesn't. So this appears to be a bug on the part of LSMASH. <edit> I see we've cross posted and you've come to the same conclusion </edit>

I notice I made a mistake in post #30 (I've corrected the post). I specified colorspace="YUY2" in ffVideoSource() but neglected to include that in the posted script (I think I copied/pasted/changed the LSMASH script when I posted). The actual source command I used was:
    Code:
    ffVideoSource("8-bit uncompressed 422 UYVY .avi", colorspace="YUY2")
    And your
    Code:
    ffVideoSource("8-bit uncompressed 422 UYVY .avi").ConvertToYUY2()
    continues to give the same problem: the very first frame is wrong (all green) upon opening the AVS script in VirtualDub. I've done this with both 32 bit AviSynth with VirtualDub 2, and 64 bit AviSynth with VirtualDub64.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is "8-bit uncompressed 422 UYVY .avi" his video in post #15 ?

I can't even open it with the ffms2 I had - access violation . It looks like a ffms2 version issue here. But lsmash and avisource (drastic) matched with the script I posted above . I'll play with some other ffms2 versions
    Quote Quote  
  6. I was debugging another problem and I forgot to swap . Everything matches here now with the compare script I posted above, on all frames, including ffms2 for his video in post #15

ffms2 is version hell incarnate. Some might have some codecs/decoders missing, but others have and vice-versa. Some of them have several libraries missing, some some things differently , it's a mess. I always keep like 6 versions on each computer so I have easy access to swap

One frame wrong seems weird . Maybe download issue ? If you can't debug it, can you stream copy that frame, zip it up, upload it and I'll see if I get the same ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, the video I was testing with was the one in post #15. I downloaded the file again and did a binary compare -- exactly the same. I get the same empty first frame with ffVideoSource() -- opening the script with VirtualDub and the x264 CLI encoder. I hardly ever use ffms2 anymore and I don't normally deal with uncompressed UYVY. So I'm not going to bother pursuing this.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I suspect it's a ffms2.dll version issue , just like I had an access violation error with another ffms2 version

For completeness, the ffms2 version I'm using is FFMS2 C-plugin 1327+119 . It's the most recent of all ffms2 branches, and even has AV1 support .

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1829061#post1829061
    Quote Quote  
  9. I tried that version of ffmes -- the blank first frame problem has gone away. All three videos match though I still have to use format="YUV422P8" and ConvertToYUY2() workaround with LWlibavVideoSource().
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    I downloaded AVISynth & VirtualDub (both 32-bit) and did a very simple test which worked and I was able to play the file in VirtualDub (see script below).

AVISource("raw YUV 8-bit uncompressed.avi")

So for another easy test I wanted to remove the 3:2 pull-down and get back to 23.97fps (original source is 24fps film on NTSC laserdisc 29.97fps) (see script below).

AviSource("YUV 8-bit uncompressed LFF.avi")
    TFM()
    TDecimate()

I get an error message of:

AVIsynth open failure:
    TFM: YV12 and YUY2 data only! Pinterest Tumblr imo
    (Z:\laserdisc capture tests\raw tests\703\THX 1138 test.AVS, line 2)

Sure, this file is YUV, but so was that first one I tested with and that opened & played fine.

I downloaded: avisynth.nl/index.php/TIVTC & dragged it into the AVISynth plug-in folder.
    That new content worked! In any case, shouldn't the left-see be the crude and right-see prepared? I don't perceive any join issues with the left picture.
    Last edited by firarottico; 12th Oct 2018 at 13:52.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by firarottico View Post
    In any case, shouldn't the left-see be the crude and right-see prepared?
    AviSynth processes the video before VirtualDub sees it. So both windows in VirtualDub will look the same unless you use VirtualDub's filtering.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to try Osprey's 827e pci/e card which will work with VirtualDub for capturing. Now maybe I can capture at YUY2.

poisondeathray: Just curious; You mentioned it's converted to RGB in order to view in VirtualDub. If I'm not previewing anything in VirtualDub, just opening the AVS script and letting AVISynth work its magic, does that RBG conversion process still have to happen?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Everything you see on the screen is RGB. If you are using VirtualDub to view the results of your script VirtualDub is converting the YVU video to RGB (only for the display, not necessarily for filtering or encoding).
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    If you are viewing the output of an avs script in VirtualDub and using VDub's "full processing mode", the video output is converted by default to uncompressed RGB when you save the new AVI. Most of the time, most users save intermediate AVI working files as lossless compression, not as uncompressed. To prevent an unwanted RGB conversion, click "Video.." -> "color depth...." and set the colorspace you want for output. Then click "Video..."-> "compression..." and set the compression you want for output. Click "Video" again, scroll down the VDub dropdown menu, and select "fast recompress". Then save your Avisynth output to a new AVI.

If you are applying VirtualDub filters to the output of an Avisynth script, your only choice for VDub's mode is "full processing mode". Otherwise, your VDub filters won't be applied. But you can always save your output as any other colorspace and compressor. I usually save a final-stage Avisynth output as lossless Lagarith YV12, since the next step would be MPEG or h.264 encoding. Your work flow might differ.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    If you are viewing the output of an avs script in VirtualDub and using VDub's "full processing mode", the video output is converted by default to uncompressed RGB when you save the new AVI.
    That behavior changed several years ago. VirtualDub in full processing mode now only converts to RGB when actually filtering. And even then only if using a filter that doesn't support the incoming color format.

Click image for larger version

Name:	filtering.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	46889

If it receives YUY2 from an AviSynth script and you save as uncompressed you will get uncompressed YUY2 in the AVI file. If you select a compression codec that supports the YUY2 that's what the codec gets. It's the same for YV12.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Changed when? To what? Not in VirtualDub 1.9.1.1. The default is uncompressed RGB24. If you changed the default the changes stay as-is forever until you change them again. If you changed the default to "same as decompression format", that isn't the default when VirtualDub is first installed. And I think you encountered this same discussion earlier in this forum with sanlyn.

If you're using another version of VirtualDub, what are the installed defaults?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Changed when? To what? Not in VirtualDub 1.9.1.1. The default is uncompressed RGB24. If you changed the default the changes stay as-is forever until you change them again. If you changed the default to "same as decompression format", that isn't the default when VirtualDub is first installed. And I think you encountered this same discussion earlier in this forum with sanlyn.
    Maybe you are right. I'm using VirtualDub 1.10.4. Video -> Color Depth -> Decompression format is set to Autoselect. Output format is set to Same As Decompression Format. I don't remember if those are the defaults.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    I tried 1.10.4 but found it buggy in some respects so didn't keep it long enough to notice the defaults.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    UYVY gets special treatment in vegas too . It gets "studio RGB" treatment which is the preferred format in vegas (full range preserved, nothing clipped). YUY2 (and all the others...) get treated as "computer RGB" (which potentially causes clipping)
    I installed the Osprey 827e card and did some cap tests. The Osprey software only has lossey h.264 with AAC audio, so I've been testing mainly with VirtulDub for lossless 4:2:2 & PCM audio.

When capturing YUY2 (which the Motu HD Express/Adobe Premier can't do), the files won't play in Vegas. I can drop the raw file on the Timeline, but it just looks like a still image. The only files I can get to play so far are RGB when capturing with VirtualDub.

In VirtualDub:
    -uncompressed RGB/YCbCr
    -Pixel Format
    -other
    -RGB full 10-bit (r210).

I haven't done exhaustive testing yet, only got the card a day ago. Is the reason I can't play files captured with YUY2 because UYVY gets special treatment in Vegas?

Something else I've been meaning to ask is I noticed when capturing using the Motu HD Express with Abode (and with the 827e), when I drop the raw files in Vegas it reports them as Progressive, even though I captured using 480i. With Adobe you can select if you want to cap UFF or LFF. I usually select LFF but what if the footage on the disc is UFF? When I run these raw files in MediaInfo, it does not state what the Field Order is. That part of the report is always missing. I've captured files using a DV codec and Vegas & MediaInfo both report either UFF/LFF etc.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    Something else I've been meaning to ask is I noticed when capturing using the Motu HD Express with Abode (and with the 827e), when I drop the raw files in Vegas it reports them as Progressive, even though I captured using 480i.
    Because AVI doesn't really support interlace flagging. Programs generally assume progressive. You have to override that assumption.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    Is the reason I can't play files captured with YUY2 because UYVY gets special treatment in Vegas?
    No; YUY2 should still play in vegas ( but it will be converted using computer RGB instead of studio RGB) - so something else is wrong
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    Something else I've been meaning to ask is I noticed when capturing using the Motu HD Express with Abode (and with the 827e), when I drop the raw files in Vegas it reports them as Progressive, even though I captured using 480i.
    Because AVI doesn't really support interlace flagging. Programs generally assume progressive. You have to override that assumption.
    Do you think the false reporting problem with Vegas is because the files are 8 or 10-bit uncompressed 4:2:2? Because lossey files do show the proper field order. Still doesn't explain why MediaInfo doesn't report the field order when the files are captured lossless.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    AVI doesn't really support interlace flagging.
    doesn't explain why MediaInfo doesn't report the field order when the files are captured lossless.
    Sure it does. MediaInfo only reports what the AVI headers say about the video. The headers don't include interlace information*. For a few codecs it may examine the compressed video data itself (like DV) but for most it doesn't. Even if it did, uncompressed YUY2 doesn't flag whether the video is interlaced or progressive.

* The ODML extensions to the AVI spec include an interlace flag but I'm not aware of any program sets it or reads it.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since the header info isn't in an uncompressed .AVI, how do you know how IVTC or QTGMC since you won't know if it's UFF or LFF?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    Since the header info isn't in an uncompressed .AVI, how do you know how IVTC or QTGMC since you won't know if it's UFF or LFF?
    You check the actual content field order , with your eyes. You assume a field order then either by separating fields or bobbing it. If it's forward/back jerky, it's wrong order. There are other threads that go step by step on how to determine field order

Even if mediainfo listed the field order, it's sometimes wrong. It's just a label. You can have TFF content mislabelled as BFF and vice versa. Don't assume it's correct. What's important is the actual content field order, not the label
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was able to capture YUY2 in VirtualDub. I can't seem to open my AVS script though. I've matched a few of the scripts jagabo wrote, even though I know this uploaded file is video vs. film. Not sure if it matters yet but I'm dropping captured frames like crazy. Haven't figured out why yet.

So far I can only get RGB captured files to play in Vegas. I can't even drop YV12 in the Timeline.

An example of one of my scripts:
    AviSource("videohelp YUY2.avi")
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  27. I had no problems opening your video, directly with VirtualDub or via a simple AviSynth script.

I was able to capture YUY2 in VirtualDub. I can't seem to open my AVS script though.
    Try just AviSource("videohelp YUY2.avi") with the script in the same folder as the AVI file. Open the script with VirtualDub (using File -> Open Video File). What happens? Any error messages? Do you see the video?

Not sure if it matters yet but I'm dropping captured frames like crazy. Haven't figured out why yet.
    VirtualDub is very flexible as far as video capture is concerned. But that means it can be hard to get working with any particular capture device because there are so many options you have to set. But one of the big ones for dropped frames: don't play the audio while capturing. Also don't compress the audio while capturing.

Although your sample is just color bars I did see evidence of dropped frames. The dot crawl pattern had some discontinuities.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    I was able to capture YUY2 in VirtualDub. I can't seem to open my AVS script though. I've matched a few of the scripts jagabo wrote, even though I know this uploaded file is video vs. film. Not sure if it matters yet but I'm dropping captured frames like crazy. Haven't figured out why yet.

So far I can only get RGB captured files to play in Vegas. I can't even drop YV12 in the Timeline.
    You must be doing something wrong. And I don't even know why people waste money on Adobe and Vegas for cleaning up analog video captures. Where have you been getting your capture info? Digitalfaq has been teaching how for almost 2 decades and ATI/AMD started doing it 'way back with Windows 3.1. http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/7427-capturing-virtualdub-settings.html. Updated recently. Lots of details. Pictures, too.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 22nd Oct 2018 at 02:02.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I apologize jagabo. I forgot to have the script and the AVI in the same folder. And dropped frames solved; I did have audio preview on while capturing. I'm capturing PCM 16b/48k. My source is 44.1k but there is no option for that.

LMotlow: thanks for the link. I've been getting my info scattered through forums etc. I guess I've never ran across this particular post, possibly because I'm new to VirtualDub. Vegas is easy for me to use. I have somewhat of a slower learning curve so I do appreciate people like jagabo, posindeathraw, JVRaines and yourself being patient. As you stated I'm 20 yrs behind.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did my first IVTC from capturing YUY2.

jagabo: can you please do your AVISynth conversion? There seems to be more ghosting around the legs than what I would expect (frames 25, 29, 33-34, 37-39) etc.

Uploaded file is raw, not AVISynth converted. But why don't I see any interlace artifacts while playing the raw file?

My script is:
    AviSource("YUY2 test.avi")
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by clashradio; 22nd Oct 2018 at 18:35. Reason: more info
    Quote Quote